+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Support Role for 5-mans

Default Support Role for 5-mans

What's a good Support Role for Expert 5-mans? I've looked through the threads here, but most of the Dom threads are focused on PvP, and the few Archon threads I've read have said it's basically only needed for raiding.
    Also, how well does a Support Chloro stack with a Main Heal Chloro (as in, we have a lot of Chloro's in my guild, so it's likely one of them will be healing and I don't want to override their buffs)?

Thanks.

Soulwalker

Chloro/lock is probably what you want. It does decent DPS and healing and has some utility buttons. The only thing you have to keep an eye on is which veil you're using.

If you have a chloro as the main healer, you ONLY use Lifegiving Veil. Using synthesis will overwrite the main healer's synthesis, and lifebound veil isn't worth using by itself. If you're running with a cleric, it's up to you what to use. Lifegiving for group heals, or lifebound + synthesis for tank healing.

As for your spec, it's up to you how much healing you want. The more points in chloro you have, the less damage you'll do, so keep that in mind.

Plane Touched

If you're exclusively doing 5-mans and you want to support instead of main heal, I'd actually say you want Chloro/Archon. If you ever step foot into a raid, though, that's going to be an issue as you're going to want a dedicated Archon. In that case I'd say either 51 Chloro or Chloro/lock. I've actually heard Chloro/lock is better for support, but I haven't done any testing myself to confirm.

And yes, as a support Chloro you're going to be using Lifegiving Veil instead of Lifebound. Lifegiving is focused more on group heals, whereas Lifebound + Synthesis is used for tanking.

Honestly though, experts are nowhere near as hard as they were and in most cases don't even really need a support, save for maybe a handful of bosses. If everyone knows the mechanics and is decently geared you're better off running as an extra DPS instead of extra heals.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I don't raid (even though I'm in a raiding guild - I don't have time) so this would just be for 5-mans. It's honestly more to allow me to que AS Support, and for something a little different from time to time. If I'm with the guild it's mostly just a face roll anyway, so it's not "we need a Support" it's more "I'm bored of just straight DPSing but don't feel confident in main healing and we need someone to click the Support button when we que".
    But I do pug a bit, and there are times when a little extra healing would be useful. No one seems to use any CC, even the pugs I've been in which were struggling, so I don't know how much a Dom build would bring to the group.

Plane Touched

I've found that if you actually need a support for Experts (Quite rare, usually only on the occasional boss) something that goes into Chloromancer works wonders.

Whether it be Chlorolock, Chlorocon or what I'm currently using in normals Chloro-Pyro (I do okay-ish damage while being able to use Bloom and Flourish to keep people alive)

If using a Chloromancer healer be sure to use Lifegiving Veil. If you have a Cleric healer use Lifegiving Veil for AoE heals or Lifebound Veil + Synthesis for tank healing (Depending on what spec the cleric is using and the fight you may need to use one or the other, for example Purifiers tend to have little AoE healing and will need help on bosses with AoE damage whereas on a similar boss fight a Sentinel may be concentrating on AoE heals and need help with keeping the tank up.)
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

Plane Touched

Chloro + Archon is the winner on pure utility packed for a 5-man as support...

...A build like this...

...Will bring a lot of buffs to your party while allowing you to function as AOE healer, "Mana Batery", DPS buffer and power cost Discount.

...You also come equiped with AOE dispels, AOE purges, instant single target dispels and a Combat Rezz.

Basically you will come equiped with everything "special" that's needed against different challenges on 5-man Dungeons... Notice that while healing you can't be using your Archon attack powers that give Crit and damage increase... So you will have to swap from "healing mode" to "DPS buffer" based on what your party needs.
    Last edited by Khumoth; 07-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know the point ratio to change the Role icon on your health bar? I set up a 33/33 Chloro/Lock spec which will allow me to que as Support or Heals (main spec is DPS), but my icon stays as the DPS icon.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Halbarad View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know the point ratio to change the Role icon on your health bar? I set up a 33/33 Chloro/Lock spec which will allow me to que as Support or Heals (main spec is DPS), but my icon stays as the DPS icon.
    I believe it is whatever has the most points in will be what the icon shows, when there's an equal amount it goes by which soul is in the middle.
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

One option so you can queue as support to get around the silly designations is to just create a new spec as a 51 Archon or similar, which if you ever decide to pug a daily RR will come in handy. I have a 51 Archon and 51 Chloro, so if you were looking to assist Clerics in pugs then that may be useful, though for support raid heals ChloroLock is better. This lets you queue as Heal, support and DPS with another spec however, so if you pug it comes in pretty handy to get into as many as you can.

Of course you never actually use the Archon in 5 mans, but it does let you queue as support :P

Shield of Telara

I do ChloroLock without points in Synthesis and pretty much the right side of Warlock for damage. Decent AoE on trash using things like Nature's Fury and Corrosion and Warlock AoE together while doing some minor healing. Single-target is crappy damage for boss fights but you obviously support heal fairly well.

Archon for 5-man is kinda pointless

Dominator does have some nifty toys that work well on trash and/or boss fights. I tend to pair it with Necro though when I'm sitting in as DPS.

Soulwalker

If your just looking to que as support you have to have atleast 22points spent in a "support" soul. Chloro/Dom/Archon. Aside from gear that is only requirement to use LFG tool and que as support.

I roll lock/chloro as well and have found it enjoyable. It certainly gave me some practice before trying chloro has heals. It's nice having three roles, though I'm still not comfortable with chloro as healer. When massive damage is happening I choke. Support is fine as I'm not the one on the hot seat.

The point requirement scales with level, so 22 for support presumably is for level 50 only.
    Last edited by Hotter; 07-17-2011 at 09:36 PM.

XiL

You could always just go SC/Elem and do more damage than the rest of the group combined.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Quote Originally Posted by Sumuji View Post
    I do ChloroLock without points in Synthesis and pretty much the right side of Warlock for damage.
    That's how I'm set up right now too.

Is Synthesis ok as a one point spell, or does it need all the linked branches filled out to be "worth it" (as a Support healer)? I know it's a wasted point when I'm grouped with another Chloro, but it still can be useful with a Cleric depending on how they're set up, right? Or in a pinch when asked to main heal?

Basically the other night a cleric friend and I were forming a group for rep farming in normal CC. We couldn't find another healer, and the tank that joined was a fresh 50 and couldn't tank the pace the cleric wanted to set. So the cleric switched to tank, the tank to dps, and I switched to my Support build. Overall we did fine, but the cleric made a few huge pulls where having Synthesis on him would have been a little less stressful

So while still having the Support Healer build in mind, would that one point in Synthesis be worth it, or is it a waste to spend it for these rare situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
    I roll lock/chloro as well and have found it enjoyable. It certainly gave me some practice before trying chloro has heals. It's nice having three roles, though I'm still not comfortable with chloro as healer. When massive damage is happening I choke. Support is fine as I'm not the one on the hot seat.
    Same. Those CC runs were only the second time I really used Chloro, so it was kind of like being tossed over the side of the boat and told to swim. On more than one occasion I fell back into my healer role from other games; peoples health starts falling, stop what I'm doing and focus on direct heals. So there's some amount of retraining myself that I need to do yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    You could always just go SC/Elem and do more damage than the rest of the group combined.
    I tried the SC/Ele build back at ~25-30 (when I switched from Pyro/Ele, and before I went Necro/Lock), and I didn't like how SC worked at all. I haven't touched it since. Sometimes I think about trying it again, but I never make it past the hurdle of buying another role slot. :/

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Or you could have an actual support build so that when the MH asks for off heals you don't have to reply with "lulz, I just pewpew"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast