+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: MAGE Design: Whats the Point

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default MAGE Design: Whats the Point

    I am getting very frustrated with the state of the Mage class. I am not sure what the purpose of Mages are suppose to be anymore. Its sad when the developers do a "Jedi" mind trick on the people playing Mage classes to the point where some people think Mages should play differently then what was advertised by Trion. Couple of examples below

    **Ive read this board and Im confused on people saying that Mages should not do more damage then warriors (who are designed to engage the target with support).

    **Im confused that some backward Mages are telling other Mages to reroll to a different Subclass to do average damage EVERY time TRION decides to change something in a patch. Why should Mages have to keep CHANGING, SEARCHING, and HIGH LEVEL button combinations just to equal a class that was originally designed as a DPS class.

    **Im confused that TRION is willing to lose some of its customer base by ignoring obvious game flaws that can and should be easily fixed. I have seen countless parses that verifies Mages were 10-15% behind Warriors and Rogues (PVE).

    Im confused by alot more...but to sum it up, WHATS the POINT of the Mage class? Hopefully a representative from Trion can come to this board and clarify what is the intended purpose of the class so people can then adjust accordingly.

    Personnally, I made a Pyromancer. Did all of the research to have try to play the game as best as I could. Even thoroughly reviewed Blue Dots website and many others to get as good as I could. I was under the impression that Pyromancer was the KING of single target DPS. Period end dot. Here is TRION's description.

    Pyromancers are destructive mages whose sole focus is the mastery of fire, from launching massive incinerating blasts, to trapping their opponents behind a smoldering wall of flame. ****No other Ascended can match the sheer destruction at the Pyromancer’s fingertips.****
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/pyromancer.php

    With that being said. Hopefully I can get a answer about the purpose of a role I CHOSE to play. For those that like healing, good for you. I am not one that enjoys that or I wouldve made a HEALER. Thats a "JEDI" mind trick. Why say the MAGE class is good because you can NOW become a HEALER or make a class with some HEALING in it to be accepted or do well? BTW, I noticed most T2 instances I play are almost all Rogues, Tank, Healer...a Mage. I have been told Mages dont do enough DPS. Wow

    To a TRION rep, if you do happen to read this....please explain the purpose of the different classes and if us MAGES are just not getting the intent of the game.
    Last edited by Immlazen; 07-15-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: highlight

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immlazen View Post
    I am getting very frustrated with the state of the Mage class. I am not sure what the purpose of Mages are suppose to be anymore. Its sad when the developers do a "Jedi" mind trick on the people playing Mage classes to the point where some people think Mages should play differently then what was advertised by Trion. Couple of examples below

    **Ive read this board and Im confused on people saying that Mages should not do more damage then warriors (who are designed to engage the target with support).

    **Im confused that some backward Mages are telling other Mages to reroll to a different Subclass to do average damage EVERY time TRION decides to change something in a patch. Why should Mages have to keep CHANGING, SEARCHING, and HIGH LEVEL button combinations just to equal a class that was originally designed as a DPS class.

    **Im confused that TRION is willing to lose some of its customer base by ignoring obvious game flaws that can and should be easily fixed. I have seen countless parses that verifies Mages were 10-15% behind Warriors and Rogues (PVE).

    Im confused by alot more...but to sum it up, WHATS the POINT of the Mage class? Hopefully a representative from Trion can come to this board and clarify what is the intended purpose of the class so people can then adjust accordingly.

    Personnally, I made a Pyromancer. Did all of the research to have try to play the game as best as I could. Even thoroughly reviewed Blue Dots website and many others to get as good as I could. I was under the impression that Pyromancer was the KING of single target DPS. Period end dot. Here is TRION's description.



    http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/pyromancer.php

    With that being said. Hopefully I can get a answer about the purpose of a role I CHOSE to play. For those that like healing, good for you. I am not one that enjoys that or I wouldve made a HEALER. Thats a "JEDI" mind trick. Why say the MAGE class is good because you can NOW become a HEALER or make a class with some HEALING in it to be accepted or do well? BTW, I noticed most T2 instances I play are almost all Rogues, Tank, Healer...a Mage. I have been told Mages dont do enough DPS. Wow

    To a TRION rep, if you do happen to read this....please explain the purpose of the different classes and if us MAGES are just not getting the intent of the game.
    We have all been waiting to hear a response from Trion, good luck. They really don't care what we think - its that simple.

  3. #3
    XiL
    XiL is offline
    Champion of Telara XiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ever"Green" State
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    inB4 false advertising lawsuit?

    In all seriousness why is Pyro so bad for DPS when it was clearly intended to be a DPS powerhouse? I think that is a fair question to ask.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

  4. #4
    Rift Master GriffonHawke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Right now mages are the gimped class so that baddies in pvp can kill something. If all the classes were equal then kids might not be able to kill anyone and they would lose subscribers.


    Foolish mortal, don't you know every update is made to please pvpers.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    It's actually really simple! A mages job is to make everyone else look better... We have archon buffs... and then check out our DPS or tank healing vs a cleric, raid healing vs a xx/carbuild...

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,036
    Last edited by Shhhh; 07-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immlazen View Post
    ****No other Ascended can match the sheer destruction at the Pyromancer’s fingertips.****
    buff the hell out of the dmg

    make ground effects do 100% more dmg but while in them 75% less health or something (-1500 armor)

    give and take

    not sure how you'd rework other souls to boost but make riskier

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28

    Cool Nothing Yet

    Nothing yet?

    Also seems kind of funny that noone posted to justify the lack of DPS ability of the Mages, which we normally have one or two that does.

    Im crossing fingers and hoping 1.4 Trion review their OWN class descriptions

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Hey I'll post!!!

    The mage forums have become one giant pity party that has very little to do with the actual class. I come here looking for info, looking for ideas on some spec combination I haven't thought of, etc, and all I'm faced with day after day, is these *nobody loves me, boo hoo* whine threads.

    1. You weren't forced to play a mage, there are 3 other classes you are free to roll. Please pick which ever one is going to help with your obvious self esteem problems.

    2. The laughable "trion doesn't care" bs. You people act like a bunch of spoiled 10 year olds trying to get the attention of a parent. The persecution complex factor on these forums is off the charts.

    3. Every single one of these god damn pathetic threads completely ignores that fact that mages can and routinely do parse higher than any other class in 3 out of the 4 categories. Guess which category is the source of endless crying? That's right, the only one they aren't the top of.

    Cherry picking one aspect of the game, and then crying about balance is just so pathetic. It's a total lack of understanding what the world balance even means.

    What people in this forum want, is for mages to be the top of *every* chart. And that's suppose to be balance...... You people are delusional, and hysterical. It would be funny if it didn't make trying to find any real information such a pain in the ***.


    /boggle.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrazen View Post
    Hey I'll post!!!

    The mage forums have become one giant pity party that has very little to do with the actual class. I come here looking for info, looking for ideas on some spec combination I haven't thought of, etc, and all I'm faced with day after day, is these *nobody loves me, boo hoo* whine threads.

    1. You weren't forced to play a mage, there are 3 other classes you are free to roll. Please pick which ever one is going to help with your obvious self esteem problems.

    2. The laughable "trion doesn't care" bs. You people act like a bunch of spoiled 10 year olds trying to get the attention of a parent. The persecution complex factor on these forums is off the charts.

    3. Every single one of these god damn pathetic threads completely ignores that fact that mages can and routinely do parse higher than any other class in 3 out of the 4 categories. Guess which category is the source of endless crying? That's right, the only one they aren't the top of.

    Cherry picking one aspect of the game, and then crying about balance is just so pathetic. It's a total lack of understanding what the world balance even means.

    What people in this forum want, is for mages to be the top of *every* chart. And that's suppose to be balance...... You people are delusional, and hysterical. It would be funny if it didn't make trying to find any real information such a pain in the ***.


    /boggle.
    Hey welcome! Thanks for adding to the class discussion!

    1. I've put more time on my mage than you have into the game. I'm not interested in rerolling.

    2 The lack of response from Trion gives that impression. Spoiled? Nah, not for 15$ a month. Now if they were paying me you might have an argument here.

    3. No supporting evidence to your claim!

    -You haven't been reading this forums if you think people are cherry picking one aspect of the game.

    -Nice assumption about what "everyone" wants. Ever heard of the search feature? Use it.

    Next time you feel like spewing another verbal turd, just go ahead and swallow it. Thanks!

    Is there anything else I can assist you with before you show yourself out?
    Last edited by casus belli; 07-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.

  11. #11
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default Time to Switch Roles...for you

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrazen View Post
    Hey I'll post!!!

    The mage forums have become one giant pity party that has very little to do with the actual class. I come here looking for info, looking for ideas on some spec combination I haven't thought of, etc, and all I'm faced with day after day, is these *nobody loves me, boo hoo* whine threads.

    1. You weren't forced to play a mage, there are 3 other classes you are free to roll. Please pick which ever one is going to help with your obvious self esteem problems.

    2. The laughable "trion doesn't care" bs. You people act like a bunch of spoiled 10 year olds trying to get the attention of a parent. The persecution complex factor on these forums is off the charts.

    /boggle.

    You bout one of the dumbest people to post on this board.

    First of all, you didnt even read the post. If you did, you wouldve seen what TRION originally stated the Pyromancer was designed for.

    Second, you wouldve read, that Mages shouldnt have to reroll a class or spec just for the sake of trying to fit in or do DPS. And "NO", noone force me to make a Mage. It is what I chose as a PAYING customer. So I should be able to get what I pay for. Which is why Trion put the description down...so people can make EDUCATED decisions.

    3. Every single one of these god damn pathetic threads completely ignores that fact that mages can and routinely do parse higher than any other class in 3 out of the 4 categories. Guess which category is the source of endless crying? That's right, the only one they aren't the top of.

    Cherry picking one aspect of the game, and then crying about balance is just so pathetic. It's a total lack of understanding what the world balance even means.

    Again, you show your lack of brain power. People have shown parse after parse validating what I talked about. And I also mentioned my only purpose for choosing the class I chose PYROMANCER, was not to heal or play a support role. Plus the fact I play PVE and in a group or raid environment, there is NOONE that should outdamage a Pyromancer (single target). How about reading the description that has a link to confirm it.

    What people in this forum want, is for mages to be the top of *every* chart. And that's suppose to be balance...... You people are delusional, and hysterical. It would be funny if it didn't make trying to find any real information such a pain in the ***.

    That is so laughable that it is plain ignorant. I havent seen any Mage saying they want EVERYTHING. They have clearly stated that they want to have a playable/enjoyable game. Yet piss poor scrubs like you take that as a reason to bash people...which is why I am inturn bashing your ignorance. Mages give up armor/protective gear in return for the ability to use "BRAIN" power to channel whatever it is of the class they chose. There is noway in hell, that the Heavy Armor wearers with the hitpoints and surviveability should also outdamage someone with less surviveability. Where is the balance.

    Instead of coming here...TROLLING. Let the Mages have their discussions and try to make sense of what Trion is trying to do. Nuff Said.
    Last edited by Immlazen; 07-15-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrazen View Post
    Hey I'll post!!!
    1. You weren't forced to play a mage, there are 3 other classes you are free to roll. Please pick which ever one is going to help with your obvious self esteem problems.
    But I like to play a Mage. In every other MMO I used tp play a Mage, because it´s my favorite class.
    I am not interested in other ones. And I don´t want to get my T2 and R5/6 Equio again with other classes again.


    2. The laughable "trion doesn't care" bs. You people act like a bunch of spoiled 10 year olds trying to get the attention of a parent. The persecution complex factor on these forums is off the charts.
    Maybe we act like a child. But it´s no fun to see, how bad Trion treats Mages. And always waiting for a patch that probably could fix the problem is wasted time and money. So we have to shout loud.


    3. Every single one of these god damn pathetic threads completely ignores that fact that mages can and routinely do parse higher than any other class in 3 out of the 4 categories. Guess which category is the source of endless crying? That's right, the only one they aren't the top of.
    We can parse higher? Single target? Never ever...

    And if you are talking about Chloro.

    I have a Mage for playing a Mage!

    I am not interested in playing other souls like Archont or Chloro.

    This is what I want to play. A DPS-Mage and not a Healer nor a Buff-Machine!

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Magetron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    274
    Your new world order will lead to none at all.

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    inB4 false advertising lawsuit?

    In all seriousness why is Pyro so bad for DPS when it was clearly intended to be a DPS powerhouse? I think that is a fair question to ask.
    hahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    "Yes, is this Bob Smith, esquire? I would like to sue Trion World corporation because my mage doesn't do the dps THEY PROMISED!"



    Jesus man I'm a pissed off mage too but shut up this is getting pathetic

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser StuffedDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    332

    Default


    Pyromancers are destructive mages whose sole focus is the mastery of fire, from launching massive incinerating blasts, to trapping their opponents behind a smoldering wall of flame. ****No other Ascended can match the sheer destruction at the Pyromancer’s fingertips.****


    http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/pyromancer.php



    To a TRION rep, if you do happen to read this....please explain the purpose of the different classes and if us MAGES are just not getting the intent of the game.
    So ...

    Masters of subtlety and subterfuge, an Assassin’s ability to walk in the shadows allows them to bypass obstacles and launch devastating surprise attacks. A rare few survive the initial assault, only to succumb to virulent poisons.

    http://eu.riftgame.com/en/classes/rogue/assassin.php


    Damn I rolled an assassin and my target didn't die ... I'll join you in your lawsuit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts