+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Still try to stick it out being a mage - Rerolling not so green either

Default Still try to stick it out being a mage - Rerolling not so green either

PVE:
    So with the pouring mage outcry I'm sure a lot are considering, or have even started, leveling an alt warrior or rogue, because after all, we're mostly upset about dps and they're the two dps kings atm. But if you're a raider and you look at their point of view and talk to other raiding rogues and warriors you'll notice how many rogues and how many warriors are in a raid. Then you'll notice how with the change to warriors, even though their dps is rocking, the best weapons for them are dual weild so they're now fighting with the already plentiful rogues for their weapon drops.

That being said theres so few mages already with their numbers dwindling if you were to switch to a real dps class you then re-gear from t2, have to farm marks now that glyphed no longer drops to get the hit needed to even get into HK if thats your goal, then get to try to get a spot in a raid with 6 rogues and 6 warriors all fighting for similar upgrades and now the same weapons AND all grouped up in a big ball in melee since ranged specs aren't as good. As you know lots of bosses in this game are more difficult if melee is just packed in with 12+ people. Rogues are pissed at warriors, warriors are pissed they have to try to get 1 handed weapons which piss off rogues, etc.

I know it sucks right now being mage, having to use gimmick specs here and there to try to be useful, having a class lead that simply refuses to listen to any reason, but just consider the full scope of what changing class would entail. I still think analyzing new builds and patch data and giving feedback is the best way to go until some day they decide to listen or plug in some ears and eyes to the potatohead.

Try sitting in a loot council when a dagger drops.

It's a nightmare. How do I choose between 10 rogues and warriors, all good players?
    Last edited by Flaviusx; 07-15-2011 at 04:59 AM.

The other reason to not reroll: nobody really knows what's going to happen from one patch to another. You're making a bet when rerolling that the next patch won't crap all over your shiny new toon. That's a bet you can lose.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post

It's a nightmare. How do I choose between 10 rogues and warriors, all good players?
    oldest story in the book, just use RNG.

no point discussing/Council about it, or you will sit until end of day's

Champion of Telara

I agree that rerolling is not the way to go. This is especially true for people like me with limited playtime.

But, sticking it out is only an option for so long. When you no longer enjoy playing your character, and the thoughts of leveling/gearing another is more than your can take, it is time to move on.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    I agree that rerolling is not the way to go. This is especially true for people like me with limited playtime.

But, sticking it out is only an option for so long. When you no longer enjoy playing your character, and the thoughts of leveling/gearing another is more than your can take, it is time to move on.
    then there is only left to 2 options.
    ether quit.
    or deal with it, that a mage never ever will be good in Rift, we got the nerf bat, again and again, till the server shutdown.

after 3 major nerfs, don't expect to chance in trends.

For myself, I'd sooner quit than reroll.

A couple more patches like 1.3 will drive me to quit. As it is, I'm only logging in once or twice a week for raids. (We can clear all content in one day if we push it, or 1 day and an extra hour if we slack. RoS trash causing most of our wipes, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post

This is true. I even have a 50 rogue and upon considering switching to it full time I stopped and thought about everything that I see happening in our own raids and decided to at least put it in a thread.

As far as time to move on... That's what happened with me in Star Wars Galaxies in the first few months.. I still remember being a master pistoleer and 11 out of 12 skills were broken and the 1 skill we had that was working and a little op tbh, they nerfed it into oblivion, but didnt fix the other 11 problems so ended up with a totally useless class and I quit soon after. I've since cancelled my sub here and theres 80 days left on my 6 month for them to do something in the right direction for me to resub.

aux

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post

Good thing that only cleric (tank) items drop, then!
    I'm so BORED

I am failing to understand how it is that my experience with playing a mage is so vastly different from nearly everyone else here.

With 1.3 I felt like I got a buff more than a nerf; I do play a bit more in pvp than pve.

We, as a calling, did not get gutted in 1.3; only the pyro's pvp performance, and only compared to the pvp performance of the new dom.

SC/Ele is still the best AE in the game, and still does reasonably well in static fights. For mobile fights I use the 1.3-improved Necrolock.

For healing in pvp I use the 1.3-improved Chlorolock (they increased the AE heal numbers from LGV, and my Bloom hits for near 3k, reduced CD on nature's conversion and wild growth, reduced cast on nature's fury, permanent LGV.

But no, we all want to focus on our 10% less-than-max Plutonus parses, a fight that screams "I'm single-target-melee-friendly".

RE: 1.4

They are nerfing all instant heals in pvp (maybe). Ok so the chloro becomes less tanky.
    They are nerfing SP damage. You mean I'm not supposed to be able to use it to drop 4 people faster than healers can see them take damage while in a CC/resource denial spec?
    They are changing transference. Fine I can't turn off a rogue/warrior with one spell anymore, but I can make it so that they have to get over 50 power/energy in order to use a 30-power attack, if you ever played a rogue you know this is a severe DPS loss. Transference now works better on blue bars if you're fighting the resource battle.

PvE: Charge dumps have had a reduction in how much charge they consume, this translates directly into more up-time, which translates into more damage.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Ascendant

Ran GSB wednesday night(prettymuch my first time in there, ive done LGS twice successfully but never the other stuff)

Guilds freaking out that we have a whole 6 mages for some crazy reason.

Go again thursday, things are back to normal with only 8 mana users in the whole raid(one was a tank too).

Thank god pve requires healing and one archon so that blue bars still have a purpose. Too bad most of those blue bars will basically never have an option of getting a little sword symbol by their name, minus the infamous inquisicar.

Some of the mages have just quit. I actually rolled a rogue the first week it came out and hated it and rerolled a mage. Best decision ever and I still enjoy it now and it just means that out of the 4 or 5 remaining good mages left in my guild, it's just more gear for us.

Honestly, I don't mind fighting against the current with trion just as long as my guild never benches me because my dps is low(which it's not in actuality, it still gets the job done and probably still will in HK).

In the end, the mages who stick out through this will become awesome players because of it.

Of course, this is me being optimistic right now. I might start playing my rogue or my warrior alt a bit more in a few months if mage is continues to get the nerf bat and might suggest my guild does a raid for alt accounts haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    SC/Ele is still the best AE in the game, and still does reasonably well in static fights.
    ^ False. Best AE in the game is double ticking pyros firestorm

For mobile fights I use the 1.3-improved Necrolock.
    ^ Barely improved, but still not improved as much as rogues warriors = widens gap between them

For healing in pvp I use the 1.3-improved Chlorolock (they increased the AE heal numbers from LGV, and my Bloom hits for near 3k, reduced CD on nature's conversion and wild growth, reduced cast on nature's fury, permanent LGV.
    ^ Debatable, but most prefer Chloro pre 1.3 for many reasons.

But no, we all want to focus on our 10% less-than-max Plutonus parses, a fight that screams "I'm single-target-melee-friendly".
    ^ Try 20% less and more. Unless you just want to go after the gimmick zoo spec instead of all the mage specs like pyro, sc / ele, necrolock, etc.

PvE: Charge dumps have had a reduction in how much charge they consume, this translates directly into more up-time, which translates into more damage.
    ^ Yet on public test shard parsing all charge abilities are doing less damage now. Link: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post2798124
    ^ Responded above in green. Glad you're happy as a clam though.
    Last edited by Shhhh; 07-15-2011 at 05:54 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    ^ Yet on public test shard parsing all charge abilities are doing less damage now. Link: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post2798124
    That is really disconcerting. Hopefully it is a bug. If not, it will probably be the last straw for many of us.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

SC/Ele is still the best AE in the game, and still does reasonably well in static fights.
    ^ False. Best AE in the game is double ticking pyros firestorm
    -- I don't care how you tick it, it does not beat Burning Ground stacked with Hailstorm stacked with Lightning Storm followed by LF/FL spam.

For mobile fights I use the 1.3-improved Necrolock.
    ^ Barely improved, but still not improved as much as rogues warriors = widens gap between them
    -- We do agree that it was improved. So the premise that the 1.3 patch gutted the class is wrong.

^ Debatable, but most prefer Chloro pre 1.3 for many reasons.
    -- Not debatable, facts: Old LGV healed for less than the amount of damage dealt, new LGV heals for more. Old Wild Growth has a 2min CD, Old Nature's Fury had a 2.5 second cast, old Natures Conversion had a longer cooldown.

^ Try 20% less and more. Unless you just want to go after the gimmick zoo spec instead of all the mage specs like pyro, sc / ele, necrolock, etc.
    -- The point is you cannot base the mage's performance in pve based on parses for this, and only, this one fight.

-- Test is test. The notes did not say that the damage was supposed to be lowered, so this could be a bug. Possibly. From the notes I gathered that there was an intent on lowering the cost of charge consuming abilities without changing their damage.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast