+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock builds and 1.4 changes: less charge consumed

Rift Disciple

Default Warlock builds and 1.4 changes: less charge consumed

Will the reduction in charge consumed for Warlock builds make 51 point Warlock specs more viable from now on once 1.4 hits? Figure the increased uptime on Defile and Empowered Darkness will help out greatly with the previously lack-luster DPS (is what I am hoping at least).

I am not quite sure if they have actually made this live on PTS yet or if they just posted the notes but if anyone has tested this could they please share their results?

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrewe View Post
    Will the reduction in charge consumed for Warlock builds make 51 point Warlock specs more viable from now on once 1.4 hits? Figure the increased uptime on Defile and Empowered Darkness will help out greatly with the previously lack-luster DPS (is what I am hoping at least).

I am not quite sure if they have actually made this live on PTS yet or if they just posted the notes but if anyone has tested this could they please share their results?
    I'm still not happy with both the spells consuming charge, since you need to feed Defile with charge and not only does Empowered Darkness stop your charge-income completely, it drains it by itself. Just dodgy gameplay IMO as you can't use them together. I guess you could Alternate between Defile and Emp Darkness and recast Defile when it's about to run out, drain bolt for instant charge to feed it and back into the rotation. But it still feels sub-optimal, they should instead just change Defile to cost either health or plain mana instead. health just so they have some sort of flavor to it, which I don't think it needs
    Last edited by Pendu; 07-14-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Soulwalker

MAGE
    Tweaking general Mage damage upwards for Charge consumption abilities.

Hoping this means a decent bump in damage to Defile...we'll see...

Sword of Telara

think about this.
    how useful is it to have low damage all spread out over lot of people? witch is even healable by a bard

none mate, we ****ed. with 1.4

Rift Disciple

I was actually more interested in Empowered Darkness.... if I go 51 points into Warlock and get that for the 75% damage boost I was looking at keeping the 8 into necromancer for the buffed Necrosis (+60% damage and then +75% damage on everything else) so would be essentially giving up defile to use ED instead whenever charge builds up (which it seems to do fairly quickly). 6 points I stuck in Ele for the +5% crit and Revitalize if ever needed (so I don't have to suck my health down for it).
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...c.eeRAkqqek.Vz

With a full round of DoT (necrosis+life leech+Neddra's Grasp+dark touch empowered by Neddra's Torture) cast during the 75% buff as well as void bolt spam I am thinking it could put out some nice damage.

Also with 51 points in warlock Neddra's Influence gives 91.5% boost to all death-based DoT spells by itself which is nice (original 15% +1.5*51)

I know it won't be the highest-parsing build but I was wondering if the changes would at least make it viable enough to use as it would be more fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    think about this.
    how useful is it to have low damage all spread out over lot of people? witch is even healable by a bard

none mate, we ****ed. with 1.4
    Also, this is in regards to PvE, I already know what I am doing for PvP and am happy in that regard.
    Last edited by Dkrewe; 07-14-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrewe View Post
    I was actually more interested in Empowered Darkness.... if I go 51 points into Warlock and get that for the 75% damage boost I was looking at keeping the 8 into necromancer for the buffed Necrosis (+60% damage and then +75% damage on everything else) so would be essentially giving up defile to use ED instead whenever charge builds up (which it seems to do fairly quickly). 6 points I stuck in Ele for the +5% crit and Revitalize if ever needed (so I don't have to suck my health down for it).
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...c.eeRAkqqek.Vz

With a full round of DoT (necrosis+life leech+Neddra's Grasp+dark touch empowered by Neddra's Torture) cast during the 75% buff as well as void bolt spam I am thinking it could put out some nice damage.

Also with 51 points in warlock Neddra's Influence gives 91.5% boost to all death-based DoT spells by itself which is nice (original 15% +1.5*51)

I know it won't be the highest-parsing build but I was wondering if the changes would at least make it viable enough to use as it would be more fun for me.

Also, this is in regards to PvE, I already know what I am doing for PvP and am happy in that regard.
    brake it down for you.

Neddra's Grasp (can't be counted by DPS specs) if they player do nothing it have no effect.
    Neddra's Influence, it sounds good but how much damage on a DoT is 0.5% really ?
    also wanna point out, they nerfing Void Bolt, witch is kind of worthless to cast, *1.4 patch notes*

and really, is above 32, anyhting usefull to the Warlock? mass fear? witch is high posability that the players around you are Immune to CC?

or Enpowered Darkness? it leave you with very little points to leave it really effective on anything other then DoT's witch aint really DPS or Burst.

Warlock is a great Soul, but above 32, the efective use drops like a skyship.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    brake it down for you.

Neddra's Grasp (can't be counted by DPS specs) if they player do nothing it have no effect.
    Neddra's Influence, it sounds good but how much damage on a DoT is 0.5% really ?
    also wanna point out, they nerfing Void Bolt, witch is kind of worthless to cast, *1.4 patch notes*

and really, is above 32, anyhting usefull to the Warlock? mass fear? witch is high posability that the players around you are Immune to CC?

or Enpowered Darkness? it leave you with very little points to leave it really effective on anything other then DoT's witch aint really DPS or Burst.

Warlock is a great Soul, but above 32, the efective use drops like a skyship.

where did you find this nerf to Void Bolt? I only saw

"* Dominator: Reduced the damage of Split Personality's Void Bolts in PvP combat."

and that is only for the Split Personalities, not actual warlocks. If I am missing some notes I would appreciate a link so I can educate myself.

Default pets?

Do you use the necro pet for this build? I am enjoying playing a warlock in groups for PVE but really don't like having a pet. Would rather trade it for something else with more dps. Ideas?

Thanks,

Mo

ED and Defile still drain to fast together, ED by itself is up long enough for quite a bit of burst though.

You can do Defile + SP builds and it actually works, tested it out, you can get basically a full channel at 100 charges with defile/sp going at same time.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

People always seem to be under the illusion that Emp Darkness and Defile are incompatible, so I'm mostly just posting here to say that if you activate ED, reapply all your DoTs, then finally hit Defile and immediately toggle off ED then you have the rest of all your DoTs durations hitting for the 75% more damage, so it is helpful when you need to be mobile but also deal a greater amount of damage. If you can stand still then spamming VB is fine instead ofc, I'm unsure as to which is the better option for overall DPS, however.

The issue with this currently is that you really only have the time to get off Dark Touch, Necrosis and Defile before having to turn ED off and spam VB to keep Defile up, whereas if charge consumption is being reduced then you may be able to slot in something like a Draining Bolt (perhaps if you have the greater essence which boosts DoT damage and that'sincreased by ED) as well. It'll also give you some more breathing room so you can perhaps add in Neddra's Torture, Grasp or similar just for even more damage, without having to worry so much about having to spam VB.

But yeah, hopefully this will allow for some better rotations making 51 Lock more competitive DPS in PvE
    Last edited by Benlisted; 07-16-2011 at 01:21 PM.

was playin with it on the alphas and i was able to refresh all dots np. the change in charge use is really nice. the issue i had was the fact that life leach is being refreshed as soon as i casted void bolt again. so i'd say refresh LL as soon as you cast ED, and after all dots have been refreshed, try and find some other form of filler to stall as much as possible. draining bolt has a 30 second cooldown as well as ED so the two would work out well. could spec into grave rot, but not sure how the increase in "death DoT damage" would effect it and be worth tossing points that high into necro for a 51pt lock build. grave rot by itself has always been nice damage though. i can check it out a lil more later.
    Last edited by DaddyDaz; 07-16-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Rift Disciple

@ben Vb refreshes defile? Or did u mean LL?

Quote Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
    @ben Vb refreshes defile? Or did u mean LL?
    I think either I misworded or you misread, what I meant was that in order to after having ED on and refreshing DoTs then also applying Defile; keep your charge up so Defile doesn't drop off, you're pretty much forced to spam VB and use DB or find another target to hit with DT and Necrosis. Once you apply Necrosis, DT and Defile under ED currently, you're almost out of charge completely, so the changes will give more breathing room to maybe use something else too with ED still on (with the greater essence DB comes to mind as a possibility, or a Neddra's Grasp) as well as not forcing you to immediately have to spam charge-creating abilities once you turn ED off - you could add in a Neddra's Torture for instance to boost your damage further.

The Life Leech refreshing issue is a bit unfortunate still, but since Life Leech itself has such pitiful damage and long cast time I generally just left it out of an ED refreshfest and used VB if I wanted to reapply it with +dmg. The fact that when you turn ED off and use VB it reapplies a weaker LL is unfortunate, but it's probably better than finding something else to spam. Grave Rot is somewhat in the same boat of being too weak to bother with applying under ED, especially when you have to aim it, wasting yet more charge (I don't think it counts as a DoT for the purpose of Neddra's Influence either) since both ED and DB have a long CD, it seems to me like you may as well just save DB for it to keep you mobile.

The other option with less charge consumption is to use both Defile and SP at the same time, which will help 38 Lock specs quite a lot, partly for the easy self heals and for increased DPS (I think anyway). Either way, less consumption of charge means that you should be able to keep Defile up on two targets if you spam VB enough, which is useful in itself.
    Last edited by Benlisted; 07-17-2011 at 05:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread