+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1.4 -- The Perfect Storm

Default 1.4 -- The Perfect Storm

With the metagame ready to shift away from healing, and some interesting changes to the upper end of the stormcaller tree, 51 point stormcallers are set to take center stage in warfronts and mid-to-large scale PvP.

Not many of you have used Eye of the Storm, so I'll fill you in. It was a PBAE DOT that also added snare and hypothermia to anyone in range. For you chloromancers, think of it as Corrosion on steroids. Well, the 1.4 patch has made this a ground effect skill.

What's the big deal about that? Well simple. It hits a hell of a lot harder than Corrosion. EotS will do damage by the thousands, while you spam air spells for even more damage. It's not easy to set up (you have to have the charge built up beforehand), but the well-prepared stormcaller will be able to drop EotS, Hailstorm, and Lightning Storm on some poor group of clustered idiots, then follow it up with the new Lightning Burst to spike down some poor cleric, Lightning Field spam for everyone else, and if by some miracle some of them are still alive? Hit Absolute Zero and Arctic Blast them.

With your 51 point investment paying you back in bonus water damage, your water skills (including Cloudburst for single target plinking) will be no freakin' joke.

And yeah stormcaller will have survivability problems like it always has, but remember the metagame is moving away from healing. Everyone will have these problems, and the stormcaller is in a great position to take advantage of it.

Be ready.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

And then it will be nerfed into the ground in 1.5 while rogues and warriors are left untouched or buffed further.

But yeah, it could be fun to deal some proper aoe damage. Shame it's on a 2 min CD, though.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Quote Originally Posted by Vayra View Post
    And then it will be nerfed into the ground in 1.5 while rogues and warriors are left untouched or buffed further.

But yeah, it could be fun to deal some proper aoe damage. Shame it's on a 2 min CD, though.
    I have now come to the conclusion that you only consider your calling balanced when it can do a ****ton of damage and kill a group of foes before they can say "wtf just happened?". In other words you want an "I win" calling. Good day, I'm done with you.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

Soulwalker

The Unnamed guild from Warhammer??

That's us, (Phaedurus?)
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Soulwalker

That's us, (Phaedurus?)
    Haha! No, it's Wieglaf!

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    With the metagame ready to shift away from healing, and some interesting changes to the upper end of the stormcaller tree, 51 point stormcallers are set to take center stage in warfronts and mid-to-large scale PvP.

Not many of you have used Eye of the Storm, so I'll fill you in. It was a PBAE DOT that also added snare and hypothermia to anyone in range. For you chloromancers, think of it as Corrosion on steroids. Well, the 1.4 patch has made this a ground effect skill.

What's the big deal about that? Well simple. It hits a hell of a lot harder than Corrosion. EotS will do damage by the thousands, while you spam air spells for even more damage. It's not easy to set up (you have to have the charge built up beforehand), but the well-prepared stormcaller will be able to drop EotS, Hailstorm, and Lightning Storm on some poor group of clustered idiots, then follow it up with the new Lightning Burst to spike down some poor cleric, Lightning Field spam for everyone else, and if by some miracle some of them are still alive? Hit Absolute Zero and Arctic Blast them.

With your 51 point investment paying you back in bonus water damage, your water skills (including Cloudburst for single target plinking) will be no freakin' joke.

And yeah stormcaller will have survivability problems like it always has, but remember the metagame is moving away from healing. Everyone will have these problems, and the stormcaller is in a great position to take advantage of it.

Be ready.
    For best results, run along side a dom, can't cleanse betrayals with hypothermia and electrified stacks on the raid.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Oh lord. Now if it could only shoot around corners and up stairs...

Rain of fire anyone?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Belterra View Post
    I have now come to the conclusion that you only consider your calling balanced when it can do a ****ton of damage and kill a group of foes before they can say "wtf just happened?". In other words you want an "I win" calling. Good day, I'm done with you.
    I think the original post was pointing out that SC is going to OP with the upcoming changes (in PvP). He wasn't saying he thought this was fair or warranted... just that it seems like it's on the horizon. If Trion notices it's OP during testing it will certainly be scaled back.

I read these forums daily and by far the vast majority of the posts want parity with the other classes, not domination.
    A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.

Telaran

QFT

/7chars

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfury View Post
    I think the original post was pointing out that SC is going to OP with the upcoming changes (in PvP). He wasn't saying he thought this was fair or warranted... just that it seems like it's on the horizon. If Trion notices it's OP during testing it will certainly be scaled back.

I read these forums daily and by far the vast majority of the posts want parity with the other classes, not domination.
    No, not OP. Believe me I've played 51 stormcaller extensively. Even with r6 gear it's super squish.

But the pure stormcaller is going to be relevant in PvP.

Rift Master

A GTAOE on a 2 min cooldown is very clunky, much less one that also requires a full charge bar as well to use effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    A GTAOE on a 2 min cooldown is very clunky, much less one that also requires a full charge bar as well to use effectively.
    Sans the charge usage, that doesn't stop people from using Mass Betrayal. It certainly didn't stop me from using the old Void Life (hugely underrated skill).

After hearing the initial reports about Lightning Burst, I admit that 44pt air-based stormcallers will still probably be more popular (people love their warlock points), but don't sleep on EotS.

Plane Walker

And then they mark you and completely shut you down.

Shield of Telara

The damage increase to cloudburst from going deep into SC will be at best comparable(depending on your crit%) to the +60% crit damage you can do now in pvp, where I see non-crit cloudbursts hitting for ~7-800 and crits hitting for 16-1800. Given the loss of lightning strike to go that deep into into SC while still getting overload, I think it will be a matter of whether or not you want ST or AoE. What will be the better choice I think will depend on how much cleric healing truly gets hit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast