+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why necro/lock for leveling? Straight Warlock seems better

Rift Disciple

Default Why necro/lock for leveling? Straight Warlock seems better

I'm just getting back into rift again after a 5 month break (played in Beta and headstart, got a 50 warrior then quit cause my computer couldn't run the game too well) and I'm leveling a new character to relearn everything I may have forgotten.

I did a quick forum search to see what the optimal mage build is for leveling and everyone seems to agree that it's Necro/lock/chloro (which was true 5 months ago as well), so I started putting points in Necro and only putting extra points in Warlock because people seem to be saying you want to get like 26 points in Necro asap. I bought a second role since it was only 30g and started experimenting with a straight warlock build (putting my extra points in Necro for +% death damage) and I seem to be doing a LOT more damage, and with Reconstruct/Convert life: Mana, I have no downtime at all.

The biggest issue I have with the Necro tree is that the Skeletal horror is awful (no damage, squishy, can't hold aggro through even 1 DoT application) and the Skeletal Stalwart can only hold aggro on one target. As a warlock I still have my skeletal horror for a little extra damage, but I don't even need anything to tank for me because between Wither and Dark Fury everything is dead before it gets to me, and my DoTs do insane amounts of damage allowing me to AoE farm easily.

So, why exactly is Necromancer the preferred leveling spec over Warlock?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn73 View Post
    I'm just getting back into rift again after a 5 month break (played in Beta and headstart, got a 50 warrior then quit cause my computer couldn't run the game too well) and I'm leveling a new character to relearn everything I may have forgotten.

I did a quick forum search to see what the optimal mage build is for leveling and everyone seems to agree that it's Necro/lock/chloro (which was true 5 months ago as well), so I started putting points in Necro and only putting extra points in Warlock because people seem to be saying you want to get like 26 points in Necro asap. I bought a second role since it was only 30g and started experimenting with a straight warlock build (putting my extra points in Necro for +% death damage) and I seem to be doing a LOT more damage, and with Reconstruct/Convert life: Mana, I have no downtime at all.

The biggest issue I have with the Necro tree is that the Skeletal horror is awful (no damage, squishy, can't hold aggro through even 1 DoT application) and the Skeletal Stalwart can only hold aggro on one target. As a warlock I still have my skeletal horror for a little extra damage, but I don't even need anything to tank for me because between Wither and Dark Fury everything is dead before it gets to me, and my DoTs do insane amounts of damage allowing me to AoE farm easily.

So, why exactly is Necromancer the preferred leveling spec over Warlock?
    For the first 16 levels I leveled as an Elementalist for this reason. The earth pet is great at tanking mobs. Once I hit 16 I switched to necromancer because of Soul Purge and the Stalwart tank is as good as the earth pet for tanking. A lot of people say that 26 points is the best way to go because you get the zealot pet. Once you have the Zealot pet it is a smooth breeze and when you get FD those rough pulls become void because all you have to do if you get overwhelmed is feign death. The zealot is at 21 points. I personally used the knight until I was above level 30 because freaking earth invasions in stonefield and Scarlet gorge are rough because they have a lot more hit points than a death or a fire.

Warlock is fun in its own and you can use that spec to level but most of us mages use pets because it is the safest way to level and we use necromancer because of the mana return as well. Reclaim power and consume are great for this so there is very little down time. When you get higher in warlock you can use reconstruct if you didnt fully fill your health bar with soul purge.
    Last edited by Cabreon; 07-13-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Sez

Tank pet.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Another note. Choose what you like to level with. I tried archon to level with but it doesnt become strong until you apply 51 points into it (Burning Purpose). So I threw that to the curb. If your looking for a fast killing spec I suggest Elementalist/Stormcaller. The earth pet can hold up to 3 mobs and with the stormcaller being as it is does damage faster than the rest of the mages (instant hit spells). You dont have to watch your bolt hit something because lightning already struck it.

Plane Touched

soul purge, mortality, zealot, feign death

Plane Touched

Well the main reason is Soul Purge, which hits like a truck and does a lot of healing on you and your pet.

Secondary reasons are: The Skeletal Zealot which does nice damage while you tank things with Mortality/Soul Purge and the Skeletal Knight which can hold aggro quite nicely (Even AoE threat, but it's not terrific at it) both useful for 2 styles of play (One where you tank and use the pet for extra damage and some off heals and one where you let everything hit the pet while you DoT everything up and use Soul Purge to keep its health up)
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DontBluffMyJ View Post
    soul purge, mortality, zealot, feign death
    QFT. These are the main stays of the necro/lock spec and all very useful. If you go primarily warlock you'll hit mortality faster.... but the rest slower.
    A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.

+ Reply to Thread