+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is our pvp burst spec?

Rift Disciple

Default What is our pvp burst spec?

Since pyro got nerfed to the ground it seems like every spec i try i have to build up forever to do any real damage, dominator variations, warlock variations, stormcaller variations, can it be that a mage with like 7 dps souls doesn't have one that can do any real burst damage? Or even decent damage from the get go? Am i missing something here? I played a mage to do damage...not be killed by the time ive started doing real damage...

Soulwalker

Stormcaller, probably with ele secondary and only like 5 points in archmage, is probably your best bet for a purist glass-cannon spec. The overwhelming dps game in pvp isn't so much about burst as about throwing up too much damage on too many people for the healers to keep up, and that means AE. Lots and lots of delicious AE.

Or you can stick with Pyro and focus harder on coordination and cc-driven takedowns. The stuns are pretty nasty, and you can cast most of your spells running, making it fairly trivial to, say, force the healer following a flag carrier to use his purge, and then root him so that he can't catch up to the guy he's guarding.

And if being killed is your big issue, you need to

(1) Stay back and let your teammates handle the headbutting battles and

(2) consider taking 15 points in ele and/or 10 points in archmage for their respective damage reduction skills and

(3) make sure you know where your escape buttons (flicker, purge) and your defense buttons (rune shield, ice shield, archon shield) are at all times.

The words Mage and Burst no longer go together.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by AngryNerfedMage View Post
    The words Mage and Burst no longer go together.
    hear, hear.

we are the mage, in all MMO's classified as *Nuker* meaning tons op on tons of damage.

in rift we are, wel, we are hmm, kind of worthless.

With 51 pyro, 15 AM you can get some pretty nice burst with GOP +internalize charge + heatwave fireball spam. (don't even bother with fulminate, it's bugged) Other than that every 2 min and an unintended dom pairing that does 8-10k damage a pop after set up we have none.

I'd rather lose all my cds for steady dps and def.

Rift Master

Warlock up to empowered and archmage up to overload.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    Warlock up to empowered and archmage up to overload.
    Sounds interesting. What sort of numbers do you get on your void bolt spam?

31 Dom, 31 Pyro, 4AM

This seems like it would be very strong.

Shackle + TI + Furball spam is pretty hard to heal through on someone running around hitting off-gcds.

The beauty of shackle is that it's delayed damage so you can wind up a fire ball and it lands at around the same time the shackled starts moving to take damage.

The spec is too squishy for my liking, I run 34 lock and get a but more AE spam and am much easier to heal... also don't run into that "I squirreled too much and not am out of mana" issue.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

lgw

All viable suggestions.
    Although I still consider SC / AM / Ele and Dom / SC / AM to work best due synergy. Both can perfectly punch through even P6 players being healed, and both have defensive CDs to survive the attention they draw.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Ascendant

i'm still liking 31 dom 20 chloro 15 am... but you could try this one.. dom/sc/am. might be more damage in a group.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    31 Dom, 31 Pyro, 4AM

This seems like it would be very strong.

Shackle + TI + Furball spam is pretty hard to heal through on someone running around hitting off-gcds.

The beauty of shackle is that it's delayed damage so you can wind up a fire ball and it lands at around the same time the shackled starts moving to take damage.

The spec is too squishy for my liking, I run 34 lock and get a but more AE spam and am much easier to heal... also don't run into that "I squirreled too much and not am out of mana" issue.
    Personally I hate having -% health.. you get bursted down even with r6 valor. It's pretty evil to be able to cast mirror image x2, transference x2, and traitorous influence x2 though. kekekekekke

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stratacaster View Post
    Sounds interesting. What sort of numbers do you get on your void bolt spam?
    Void crits ~2k, Draining Bolt is higher, Devouring is lower around 1-1.5k, Dark touch ~400, Defile ~550

51 Warlock is totally different in damage output to Warlock Hybrids.
    Last edited by Mezkh; 07-13-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    Void crits ~2k, Draining Bolt is higher, Devouring is lower around 1-1.5k, Dark touch ~400, Defile ~550

51 Warlock is totally different in damage output to Warlock Hybrids.
    is that with empowered on? presumably so. how long does empowered last, and how long does it last with defile up too?
    Last edited by ururu; 07-13-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Rift Disciple

so 51 warlock is actually a viable spec? for so long I have heard only talk about pure specs being garbage with few exceptions among all the callings...

Not being able to take Flesh Rot (8 points into Necro) seems like it gives up a very valuable high-damage DoT, does a 51 point Warlock build put out enough damage outside of that window of Empowered Darkness (30 sec cooldown, have to build charge back up, +75% damage) to really be worth the point investment? Especially since it seems you won't be able to use both Defile and Empowered Darkness due to the lack of charge....
    Last edited by Dkrewe; 07-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    is that with empowered on? presumably so. how long does empowered last, and how long does it last with defile up too?
    Empowered is about the same as Power Drain. It's reasonable. I'll time it later. The 30s cooldown is very good. It's pretty much always there when you need it.

You don't need Necrosis, you have more than enough kick-*** DoT effects in standalone Warlock.

You have to turn off Empowered after you cast defile, and it continues to keep it's bonus as long as charge doesn't = 0. Usually I only bother doing this for runners and LOSers, they see big crits and start to book it, load one or two DOTs on before ED runs out and switch to someone else; they don't run very long with no heals and Empowered Defile/Dark Touch ticking on them.

Stuff still dies without empowered darkness too, just slower. Load up Dots, spam nukes and Devouring shadows, Silence healers when low health, etc. Rogues tend to fall over pretty fast.

It's got it's counters don't get me wrong, but it's solid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast