+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 13War/15Necro/13Cloro Pet is extremely squishy

Default 13War/15Necro/13Cloro Pet is extremely squishy

Currently lvl 31 mage using Skeletal Stalwart - with 5 pts in Deaths Ally and 3 pts in Fresh Graves, usually buffed with synth, neddra's strength and I have lifebound veil buff.

If needed I can list his specs, but I find that he is very squishy, and I'm using my casting time to heal him rather than trashing trash.

Is this typical because the necro's pet role is only defensive for a period of time? If you can let me know if your pet's also as squishy.

Rift Chaser

The "free untrained" pets stop at level 30, if you mouse over your pet you'll see he's level 30 which is your problem. Once you hit 31, you have to put at least 21 points into either the necro or ele tree, to get a pet that will level to 50 with you.

Soulwalker

Possibly your issue is that you're using a lesser pet for content balanced around the assumption that you'll be using a greater pet? Check your pet tree for the upgrade skill, generally it is in the 20+ or 25+ points bracket. In your case, you're looking for "ancient tomb" (requires 20 points in Necro), which allows you to summon the non-wimpy version of all your pets.

Also, your primary tool as a necro using a pet to tank is soul purge (requires 15 points in necro) which both deals damage and heals your pet at the same time.

Finally, either back up your necro with chloro or back it up with lock, if you choose chloro you have to stick very nearly exclusively to your life damage spells because using non-life spells (say, your 'lock spells or your necro bolt) will do basically no healing through lifebound veil.

Summary: At your level spec splitting is not a good idea. You should have something like 30 necro (cap clattering bones and master chirurgeon)/11 chloro (corrosion, empowered veil, synthesis). That gives you a non-sucking pet that you can defend and heal pretty thoroughly.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Deblin View Post
    Possibly your issue is that you're using a lesser pet for content balanced around the assumption that you'll be using a greater pet? Check your pet tree for the upgrade skill, generally it is in the 20+ or 25+ points bracket. In your case, you're looking for "ancient tomb" (requires 20 points in Necro), which allows you to summon the non-wimpy version of all your pets.

Also, your primary tool as a necro using a pet to tank is soul purge (requires 15 points in necro) which both deals damage and heals your pet at the same time.

Finally, either back up your necro with chloro or back it up with lock, if you choose chloro you have to stick very nearly exclusively to your life damage spells because using non-life spells (say, your 'lock spells or your necro bolt) will do basically no healing through lifebound veil.

Summary: At your level spec splitting is not a good idea. You should have something like 30 necro (cap clattering bones and master chirurgeon)/11 chloro (corrosion, empowered veil, synthesis). That gives you a non-sucking pet that you can defend and heal pretty thoroughly.
    What Deblin is saying is correct. The issue is probably where you have your points. The Greater Earth Elemental with points in the approriate spots is an absolute beast when it comes to taking a beating. I often have mobs ask for a cease fire and offer me their stuff if I will just take him and leave them alone. Okay, maybe not, but he is tough. He can handle multiple at-level elites. I have taken down as many as three on him at the same time. I may have to spend a lot of time channeling the heal under that circumstance, but I have soloed stuff with him other players have given up on.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Voxin View Post
    What Deblin is saying is correct. The issue is probably where you have your points. The Greater Earth Elemental with points in the approriate spots is an absolute beast when it comes to taking a beating. I often have mobs ask for a cease fire and offer me their stuff if I will just take him and leave them alone. Okay, maybe not, but he is tough. He can handle multiple at-level elites. I have taken down as many as three on him at the same time. I may have to spend a lot of time channeling the heal under that circumstance, but I have soloed stuff with him other players have given up on.
    As a side note, I've been goofing around with a loc/ele/chloro spec that has turned out to be absolutely unkillable for farming AOE grinds. That pet when speced for it, can take a huge beating.

Live an learn I guess. I was basing my spec on what research I was a given at the time. Thank you all for the great replies!

At my next level, I will see about what pet options are avail. I didn't see any when I turned 31, and Ancient tomb is at 25 pts so unless I respec and dump a ton o points into necro it'll be awhile before I get there.

+ Reply to Thread