+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Mistaken Identity

AAA
    Telaran

Question Mage Mistaken Identity

I wanted to share a story with the mage community. I am trying to finish the endless saga quest line for Defiant. I have two lvl 50 mages one p4 and a guardian p3. I have always enjoyed mages even for D&D and any game that allows a high burst/dps class with low survivability (Glass Cannon).

On to my story, I que for "looking for group" T2 dungeon (needing an xDSM pop) and of course it gives me the option to heal. I'm currently in a 34/32 lock chloro build. I say... sigh... whatever and join. We get 2 clerics, a rogue, and a warrior. The two clerics are marked dps, the rogue marked support (but was dps), the warrior mark tanked, and I'm marked to heal.

I switch to 51 chloro because 32 won't cut it anymore in xAP. So were cruising along and we get to the third boss, you know the one that crystals and debuffs? So, I say this is a little tough for me to solo heal and cleanse, can one of the clerics go heal to cleanse.

Guess what, neither of the "Clerics" had a heal spec... and needless to say we wiped several times before I gave up. I may have still been a little sore about one of the Clerics needing on this (and winning) from the boss before: http://rift.zam.com/en/item/C282989F...byssal-Pendant

I am just not sure what Trion has going on here. I like the concept, and maybe I need to roll with it and just roll another class that fits my playstyle better. Or maybe I let my sub run out and pick up End of Nations or beta The Secret World.

Is Rift's current state of Mages what you like and are having fun playing? Am I the only one that thinks healing 5 man's, buffing Raids, and getting 2-7 KB's in Port Scion (while Warriors/Rogues are getting 22+) was not really what I was hoping for?

Sword of Telara

I fell in love with Chloro during Beta so I knew and liked what I was gonna get. To be honest, I barely touched the more "magey" souls (Pyro, Ele, SC). I play either Chloro or Necro/Lock.

While it's a bit odd for a Cleric not to have a healing role but this is the basic idea of Rift. Your calling doesn't put you in a box and you have plenty of room to play. If you don't like healing then you don't have to heal as a Cleric.

What I don't like is people checking the support role and then refuse to actually support because they like big numbers better.

aux

Majolic is the easiest boss in AP to solo heal... just make sure your cure spells are keybound. Fast reactions to his curses is all it takes, he deals next to no damage.
    I'm so BORED

Rift Disciple

Majolic spends a whole 2 seconds casting the debuff, in which time he is not damaging the tank at all. Not only that he is targeting the person who he is going to put it on. So how, with the 2 second warning and no damage incoming on the tank while it is being cast, can you not cleanse?

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    While it's a bit odd for a Cleric not to have a healing role but this is the basic idea of Rift. Your calling doesn't put you in a box and you have plenty of room to play. If you don't like healing then you don't have to heal as a Cleric.
    Imo the system is not about letting people play what they like, when they like, but about flexibility. The "basic idea" as you put it, is that almost any group can clear a given area, because they can adapt their skills as needed, by switching roles. Clerics who only have dps roles are doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Veldan; 07-13-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    Imo the system is not about letting people play what they like, when they like, but about flexibility. The "basic idea" as you put it, is that almost any group can clear a given area, because they can adapt their skills as needed, by switching roles. Clerics who only have dps roles are doing something wrong.
    Yes, that's true but the system does not force you in any way to have a certain role which may or may not be the standard role for that type of character in other games. You have the opportunity to have multiple roles but if you don't like healing then why should you heal? That's what roles are for in the LFD system. If you check only DPS then why should you be forced to heal? As I said, I do have a problem with people signing up as support and using their pure DPS build though. In my understanding offhealing is the job of the support not the DPS. Callings should not have anything to do with your role in a dungeon. Yeah, it's cool if you can swap roles to adapt to a fight but noone should be yelled at for not having a healing role when they signed up as DPS.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Guess what, neither of the "Clerics" had a heal spec... and needless to say we wiped several times before I gave up. I may have still been a little sore about one of the Clerics needing on this (and winning) from the boss before: http://rift.zam.com/en/item/C282989F...byssal-Pendant
    You can't really complain about that, both clerics *clearly* played dps and that has perfect dps stats (int > wisdom & crit > sp for dps cleric). If you were in dps role and healing cleric would win that, then you might have case thou, but even in that situation its fine for cleric to roll imo. Otherwise those prefering to play dps never tag as healers to quenues and it makes getting group slower.

But lessons learned I hope, if you don't want to heal alone don't tag as healer for quenues. Thou one marked as support really should help if needed, I sure do on my 32 cloro/34lock.

aux

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    As I said, I do have a problem with people signing up as support and using their pure DPS build though. In my understanding offhealing is the job of the support not the DPS.
    You understand wrong. Pure DPS is the best way to support your group almost every time.
    I'm so BORED

Shield of Telara

Yeah I unchecked Healer for T2. I have a Chlorolock for support. Too much of a huge crutch in PUGs. Which I dislike because I actually like playing a main healer. Too bad there's actually Clerics that roll as DPS because I'm sure a lot of Mages stopped queing as a Healer and I'm sure que wait times have been suffering because of it. Come to think of it I haven't done a single t2 PUG with the main Healer being a Mage since 1.3 hit.

aux

I haven't done a single T2 PUG where I wasn't the main healer since 1.3, heh. I don't have any issues unless people fail at positioning themselves outside of AoE effects. But then, who doesn't.
    And we're still > clerics because clerics don't have Living Energy. So there.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by Sumuji View Post
    Come to think of it I haven't done a single t2 PUG with the main Healer being a Mage since 1.3 hit.
    Hell, I haven't pugged anything period since 1.3 dropped. I actually removed one of my 2 chloro specs and added a 3rd ST dps spec for certain raid bosses. I still have chloro/lock but I pretty much refuse to use it =P

Quote Originally Posted by Carolius View Post
    Hell, I haven't pugged anything period since 1.3 dropped. I actually removed one of my 2 chloro specs and added a 3rd ST dps spec for certain raid bosses. I still have chloro/lock but I pretty much refuse to use it =P
    ^This! Except my DPS spec is Pyro/Ele, and I use my Chloro/Lock spec for PvP dailies.

+ Reply to Thread