+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intended change to Chloromancer or bug?

Default Intended change to Chloromancer or bug?

So since the 1.3 patch I have noticed that Chloromancer heals interact differently with absorb shields and damage reduction debuffs that they did pre patch. I browsed the patch notes and there was no mention of this "fix" so I was curious if this was intended or a bug.

Let me explain a bit better.

Assume Void Life hits for 100/tick (and ignore synth for simplicity).

Pre Patch:
    Mob casts absorb shield on self
    Chloro does 0 dmg (100 absorbed)
    Chloro heals for 90 (assuming 90% splash)

Post patch:
    Mob casts absorb shield on self
    Chloro does 0 dmg (100 absorbed)
    Chloro heals for 0

It appears as though before the patch healing and damage were seperate calculations and now they are not. This is understandable for things like mob resistance, but for mobs with absorb shield this is a significant hindrance in chloromancer healing, one that other healers do not have to deal with.

Real (i use this term loosely) world example:
    In my guild i am responsible for healing the crystal clicker on the Plutonis fight, for those who don't know one person runs around clicking crystals and when they click it they take a percentage of their hp per second in damage. Before the patch this wasn't an issue, but not i have to be extremely careful because randomly plutonis will place an absorb shield on himself, a fairly simple mechanic designed to simply increase the length of the fight, and it completely disrupts my ability to heal. Yes i have bloom, and it works assuming the clicker isnt taking any aoe damage and only crystal damage, natural healing is too slow. This seems like an unnecessary limitation on chloromancer healing that no other healers (maybe inquisicar, dont know for sure) have to deal with.

Other examples:
    last boss in 10 man: when he spawns crystal and goes up top, the little guys have a 75% damage reduction buff on them, before i could still use them to heal with, now it heals for maybe 150 a second.

White ghost trash in RoS. These mobs channel an AOE and while they are channeling they have a 99% damage reduction buff on them. So basically when i need my sustained aoe healing the most, it is ripped away from me.
    Last edited by Nindydar; 07-12-2011 at 08:06 AM.

It sounds acceptable to me. Deal zero damage, heal zero damage.

So after that's established, it becomes clear that using a chloromancer for whatever you're doing is suboptimal, and you're appropriately seeing suboptimal results.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    it becomes clear that using a chloromancer for whatever you're doing is suboptimal, and you're appropriately seeing suboptimal results.
    This just in, chloro deemed suboptimal, mages down to one spot in 20 man raids.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffonHawke View Post
    Ahh, the expected response.

With a half dozen souls capable of healing, it's only natural that different souls are optimal for different situations. That chloro was superior for just about everything was terrible design.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

on any thing that has a shield (or reduced damage) or even a buff on u that reduces ur damage renders u useless..

So in alot of situations, having a chloro is not the rite thing to do since ur heals will stop during the shield.

So in other words, we cant heal rite, we cant dps rite.... so we r completely useless... oh wait we can Archon.
    Retired

It's a stupid mechanic of a really fun and effective soul. The most annoying part is that our healing gets worse as our opponents damage gets better, and Valor/PvP reductions are to blame.

It's still the most enjoyable spec to play.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    It's a stupid mechanic of a really fun and effective soul. The most annoying part is that our healing gets worse as our opponents damage gets better, and Valor/PvP reductions are to blame.

It's still the most enjoyable spec to play.
    I rly enjoy playing as chloro (whether it is 51 or 36/30 lock). But it gets on my nerves sometimes when i cant hit my target for any reason and i cant give out heals coz of that.

I also believe 51 chloro should get an AoE cleanse instead of our 1 target cleanse. Or make our 1 target cleanse remove 2 stacks instead of 1. We should have something in this department done.
    Retired

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by DaCommando View Post
    I rly enjoy playing as chloro (whether it is 51 or 36/30 lock). But it gets on my nerves sometimes when i cant hit my target for any reason and i cant give out heals coz of that.

I also believe 51 chloro should get an AoE cleanse instead of our 1 target cleanse. Or make our 1 target cleanse remove 2 stacks instead of 1. We should have something in this department done.
    I agree that maybe we should at least have a 5-person cleanse at 51-points for the sake of dungeon content, even if it's on a lengthier CD than sentinels, but we shouldn't steal their thunder when it comes to being the most effective AoE cleansers.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by GriffonHawke View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. In any situation where a damage shield pops up, one of three things happens.

1) The boss stops dealing damage while another mechanic takes place.
    2) Adds spawn that can be damaged
    3) The shield can be dispelled.

I've not come across a single situation that prevented me from healing effectively.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. In any situation where a damage shield pops up, one of three things happens.

I've not come across a single situation that prevented me from healing effectively.
    Same. Plus, even if it's for a few seconds, flourish/bloom, and if you're 51-chloro, natural healing. None of those require a target, all of them are effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post

I listed 3 situations off the top of my head in my original post where this is not the case. I am only asking that i be able to actually perform my role independent of mob mechanics that normally would have no effect on healing output.
    Last edited by Nindydar; 07-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by DaCommando View Post

51chloro, 10 dominator, 5ele = remove all curses, poisons & diseases every 10sec, +10%int, +5%crit. Simple solution.

Don't get your hopes up for a fix. Trion doesn't give a flying f*ck about mages and seem perfectly happy to leave us as suboptimal dps and suboptimal healing. In 1.4 I expect Archon will be nerfed so that we're not even needed at all in raids any more.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Rift Disciple

The damage mitigation is working correctly. If you only hit the mob for 60 damage, you should only heal for 60 damage.

the shields/absorbs are not working correctly. You're still dealing DAMAGE to the shield, so if you deal 100 damage to the shield, you should heal for 100.

Anyhow, use withering vines. It helps, a lot.
    Last edited by Skaer; 07-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread