+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "baby crits"

Default "baby crits"

So I used some stormcaller build today, and noticed my arctic blasts had a 100% crit rate, but still had two very different damage values. I saw that on the forums this is sometimes referred to as baby crits, like the spell crits but does about half the damage it's supposed to do.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it related to building storm, or to arctic blast, or does it happen on other spells as well?

Rift Disciple

Hmm, I've had that happen sometimes, though if it's happening alot, check your CD/charge dumps... Also make sure BS does not get turned off befor AB hits.

Ascendant

It's related to Building Storm, but no one has ever been able to isolate the exact reason it happens.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 07-12-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

baby crits aren't just isolated to BS because I see them in my non BS rotations also.

I can isolate the one thing it's not dependent on: Focus. I see it in PvP, wearing gear with no focus.

I've tried and tried again to isolate the reason, there is really no pattern. Even when I'm softly at 100% crit with BS charges, I STILL see baby crits on an AB. So all I can think of is that it's just two rolls, there is a "did you crit" roll... then there is a "ok, so now is it baby, or big crit" roll after that.

Both are probably should be tested against varying intelligence and spell crit curves, holding the other constant. It could be that the Baby/Big crit roll is the one that is weighed against intelligence and spell crit together, where as the "did you crit" roll is just raw spell crit.

The latest theory I heard, was that it was also dependent on how much charge you had. Full charge, higher big crit chance. Not tested though.
    Last edited by Menaace; 07-12-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Well one thing i noticed is that if I purposely turn BS off right after i cast AB but before AB hits it still recieves the damage bonus. Based on what i hear a lot of people saying about BS this should be impossible.

To heck with Building Storm and Arctic Blast. Even just playing with Lightning Strike and Intensify Elements, normal hits are 3k, and crits are 3600. Consistently. To call this irritating is an understatement.

Shield of Telara

Since they fixed Tempest which used to cause this issue for every spell I've haven't noticed it on anything other than building storm powered hypo spells. It causes microcrits for sure, but apparently that is fixed on test now which is good!
    Last edited by sakkath; 07-14-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Since they fixed Tempest which used to cause this issue for every spell I've haven't noticed it on anything other than building storm powered hypo spells. It causes microcrits for sure, but apparently that is fixed on test now which is good!
    <insert "YAAAAAAY" here>
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

+ Reply to Thread