+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mages lowest dps, lowest burst damage, lowest survivability?

Rift Disciple

Default Mages lowest dps, lowest burst damage, lowest survivability?

Is it just me or are we broken?

Its you.

-Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Rift Master

It's situational.

Survivability.
    I am definitely decreasing my survivability when I'm trying to cc someone in pvp and everyone says immune. The longer I hang out "doing nothing" the more dmg I take from aoe without even being targetted directly.
    Obviously by design we have the lowest armor so that can't be debated.
    We don't have block and other classes do so we have less chance to even proc a defensive maneuver - by design

Reverse.
    I fear one, squirrel another and kill the final. In between the kill I alternate the rotation of cc.
    Once the other 2 come out I likely die but I did get one down.

DPS.
    When someone purges my dots. Little DPS.
    When someone interrupts me standing still casting. 0 DPS.
    When someone silences me. 0 DPS.

Reverse.
    When I pull out split personality and they don't do a mass aoe.
    They can't control all 3 and are dead.
    When I go unnoticed and spam skills. They die.
    If I can drain them unnoticed for long enough - they are weakened and I might live with enough players around to help.

Guess the thing to remember is that split personality is the only thing that can turn a loss to a win.
    There are still things to counter it tho I fear mentioning those much or that will get taken from us too.
    Let players figure it out instead of it being fed on a plate.

The armor part boggles me - that I will admit. I just don't see how the alternate healers have more armor when healing is usually a substitute for lack of defense.
    Maybe if they too could only heal in cloth I'd feel more complacent about the whole thing.
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-12-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shermhead View Post
    Is it just me or are we broken?
    Mages are not broken, just overnerfed.

There were so many Warrior and Rogue whines calling out Gresh and saying that Mages were just like WAR Bright Wizards, that they intentionally overnerfed us to prove he was not biased toward Mages. Now, as weak as we are, no one in their right mind would say he was biased toward Mages.

So, to build up his credibility, they overnerfed Mages.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    It's situational.

Reverse.
    I fear one, squirrel another and kill the final. In between the kill I alternate the rotation of cc.
    Once the other 2 come out I likely die but I did get one down.
    So you can do all that while being stunlocked, insta feared, insta silenced by melee's while taking 1k+ dmg per ability not to mention some are off global cd? I am p6 and promise no amount of trickery will stop a dw warrior from charging and mindlessly smashing buttons and win.

So you can do all that while being stunlocked, insta feared, insta silenced by melee's while taking 1k+ dmg per ability not to mention some are off global cd? I am p6 and promise no amount of trickery will stop a dw warrior from charging and mindlessly smashing buttons and win.
    When the warrior charges you squirrel or knockback. End of charge.

Mages have the highest Burst damage in game. It just requires a goofy spec and the right conditions. I have pulled 2600 raid dps single target before I pulled the mob off the tank and died and I have mid range gear. A better geared mage could do more..

We have the lowest HP usually and the least amount of Armor/damage mitigation. We also lack good sustained damage when you take gear into account. Some mages are topping the charts in raids but not by much and many of them are out gearing their other raid members.

In PVP it is stupid that your average mage needs to be in P6 gear to reliably kill a P2 Melee. Why do we have to grind out 600+k prestige to kill some one who has pvped for a week?

Rift Master

Nope I can't halt that but I can be aware.
    If I come out of a stun I've already decided, am I going to burn a potion and a super heal cd or give up and just try to live a bit longer. That bit is still my choice, they started the fight dirty - do I want to finish it or just return for another time. If I die under the stunlock then I had no chance - can't cry over that, they won by pure mechanics - no skill. Same reason they asked to get cc nerfed. They were dying by mechanics not skill. If they abuse stun because it lets you dmg during then that is their own weakness in play that may eventually go away - then what will they do.

You are right, the guy hitting in melee for 1k+ frickin hurts and does sometimes kill you before the stun is over but I have to say - I always end up with more kills than deaths in pvp so far. If it swings the other way that's when I get really concerned.

Going into battles with other players means you expect to die and to kill them. It's normal but do I have great respect for those that can kill me in a single stun - f no. They didn't win a fan nor am I overly impressed by their skill nor am I afraid of them. They pretty much land on my "ppl to mess with list". If they leave me alone after that I might punish them by draining their power everytime I see them. If I get a shot at squirreling them I will and let them watch their teammates die etc. It's not like they can always catch me off guard Basically if they kill me like that w/out letting me fight back they made a permanent enemy that will choose them to debuff over others. Consequences.

That stuff will be toned down when they get around to it I think, enough ppl complain about it that it can't have gone unnoticed. Even rogues complain about warriors killing them before the stun is over lol
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-12-2011 at 10:49 AM.

In PvP there is nothing to me to complain but most of the posts here base only on pvp. If they stop and see pvp they will see that we arent the best ST, best AoE DPS or even the Best ST or AoE HPS. So its not you. Also burst i think we have the best 30 sec burst of the game with necro/dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkra View Post

Mages have the highest Burst damage in game. It just requires a goofy spec and the right conditions. I have pulled 2600 raid dps single target before I pulled the mob off the tank and died and I have mid range gear. A better geared mage could do more..
    Is this sustained dps over the full boss fight or just over the burst of the cd?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Stratacaster View Post
    Is this sustained dps over the full boss fight or just over the burst of the cd?
    I would guess this is just over the CD, there is no way a mage is pulling sustained 2.6k

+ Reply to Thread