+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Four Specs to cure all your PVP Needs

lgw

Default Four Specs to cure all your PVP Needs

Preface: The Archmage
    I consider 5/5 Planar Attunement mandantory for every PVP spec (which is every spec used outside instances). As Mage we still justify our spot by dealing damage, and then we fulfil our job by dealing damage. Furthermore both Break Free and Detaunt are great skills, and even the latter has multiple uses in 1vs1. At last, none of the Tier 5 defensive talents is worth skipping PA for.
    Beyond that I highly recommend every point in Resilient you can spare, and neither Steelwave, Improved Break Free nor Ward of Detection are wasted. On the left Overload is a great one. All these also get you Degeneration, which is highly useful as well. Everything else is useful but definitely a matter of taste.

Solo / Survival: 33 WL / 23 Nec / 10 AM
    This spec combines the good defensive CDs of the Warlock with the constant healing of the Necro. Beyond good overall synergy (DOTs, DOTs, DOTs...) both specs bring very good utility to the board, from CC to heal debuffs to even an emergency ally heal, and the damage output both ST as well as AOE is very respectable with 1.3. You can basically take on anything, both PVE and PVP, and have a reasonable to (with CDs) almost guaranteed chance to win.
    If you don't like controlling your pet, just macro PETATTACK with your Necrosis. Just mind some enemies abusing it for Blood Thirst procs or Dom debuffs – for the rest you can basically keep it on aggressive as Rogue defence.
    Why not... Chloro/Lock ? Certainly a good spec, but you lack both burst damage and a heal debuff, so you'll have hard time bringing down anything with even moderate self healing abilities. In comparison this spec though can bring down everyting except the hardiest Clerics by debuff stacking and controlled CC. For pure survival you can just use the spec below, which is...

Healing: 32 Chl / 24 Dom / 10 AM
    This one gives you all the tools to keep your team up and running. You have strong AOE heals with LGV, Bloom packs a real punch now and what you lack in direct healing, Spores, Deny and CCing your enemy (Sheep, Transference, Natural Conversion / Reflect) takes well care of. Point is just that you have to get used to be a somewhat more offensive healer and ration your great CD skills, instead of just playing a “fill the life bars” game as a Cleric would.
    Beyond this it's also a great duel / survival spec due its self healing and the ability to keep folks actively off you, instead of just outlasting them. For even more survival go just 19 Dom (remove tier 5 and Improved Charged Shield) and get Steelweave & Runic Shield. Or you strip down Chloro to 28 and possibly even AM to 6 in order to get Split personality and possibly full Traitorous Influence and Empowered Presence.
    Synthesis was mainly picked to get Nature's Touch. In actual play it is mainly used as a decoy, and possibly to bring up an important target (like Fang Carrier) if needed.
    Why not... full 51 Chloro ? Well it is certainly viable, but that is largely a pocket healer spec with LBV, for example to keep some FotM Paragon up and running. In that case I'd still recommend 10 Dom for more Int and Deny, which is absolutely invaluable. But in practise the above spec has done remarkably well at healing anything and everything, in particular paired with another healing Cleric. And the actual sweet spot of the Chloro is between 28p (for Wild Growth and 1.5s Nature's Fury) and 38p (for Blight).

Support / Control: 38 Dom / 23 SC / 5 AM
    This spec gives you all CCs, debuffs and drains you can dream of, and then some more. While there are a lot of buttons, it's pretty straight forward to play, once you grow accustomed to finer tunes. The hard part then becomes to prioritise your targets correctly and learn to survive with a big fat enemy number over your head...
    The SC part ensures that you still can very well kill stuff, and has some vicious synergy on top of it. (Ever seen a Storm Shackeled Warrior charge you with 3/3 Electrified and Ice Shear on him ?) You also get some defensive tools to survive and retreat, in case you get focused to much.
    While you generally rely on outside healing, a good pot, Blood Thirst and aggressive use of CDs still allow you to dismantle three or even four enemies solo if things play out well. But in general keep your healers save and close, and they will thank you for it.
    Why not... full 51 Dom ? It's a good spec, but you will be a real glass cannon, even more reliant on your 2min CDs and also be more group dependant. If that's OK for you, or you have a premade setup that allows for it, by all means do it.
    Why not... Archon ? That's a whole other support spec, but one that simply doesn't shine in PVP like a Bard does. Your groups buffs are much more inconvenient to bring to the table, you and you lack the defensive options and contribution of a Bard as well. It's one good spec that I'd much more recommend to just take to PVE.

Nuke: 32 SC / 20 AM / 14 Ele
    This spec still melts faces as it ever did. Just AOE at your heart's content. Use Lightning Field to finish and create AOE burst, your two fire spells to annoy stealthy Rogues and never ever touch Cloudburst, as it's just crap in PVP. The best thing is that you have the ability to produce both huge single target as well as AOE spikes. Assuming you have target(s) with 3/3 Electrified on the from AOEing, single target you debuff with Ice Shear, and the Static Flux – Lightning Strike – Lightning Field, while AOE just goes Building Storm – (Nevin's Lament) – Static Flux – Arctic Blast – Lightning Field. Both will put a very major dent in your enemy's HP bar, and both have to ability to regularly burst through even fully P6 geared players.
    The best thing is that you have another 10% damage reduction, an armor buff and tons of defensive CDs as well, so you can well deal with the attention you will be drawing with this spec.
    In case you haven't managed to get to P4 yet, moving 15p from AM to Elementalist for Tempest, greater pet and Synergise is still a fair backup option.
    Why not... Pyro ? While Pyro isn't dead, right now I feel he's too little cannon and too much glass. The advantage is that you have some strong single target CCs, on demand CC immunity and Flicker as defensive option. But considering the whole package, my experience is that other options are simple superior.

General Advise
    First and most important... Valor matters big time ! I'm not a big fan of saving all your Favour till P5/6, and sucking the way till there. Invest where it either upgrades your gear, or you can get a good deal for your investment, like the P3 or new PVP faction items or item enchants. We don't have such a problem bringing the enemy down – we have a problem doing so before we get torn to pieces. In that regard try to get at least 5k, better 5.5k HP until fully geared, so your healers have an actual chance to counter the burst you might take. But even if you're a hardcore PVPer, invest a bit of time to get at least some good Essences and a nice Staff from PVE – they're just worth it.
    Next is practise practise practise. That not only doesn't refer to learning the specs, but talk and duel with some friends, to learn the strengths and weaknesses of other classes – maybe even go play a twink for some to see yourself. It's also very advisable to play some shooter and strategy multiplayer games every now and then, to improve your movement and tactical awareness.
    And at last... play together. Even a bad strategy done well is usually better than a good strategy done bad – if anything grab another guy or two do something complete unexpected for the enemy, but avoid going Rambo. For that it also helps to have multiple different PVP specs readily available – respeccing is very cheap, you can plan what you need for an instance, and all above specs well match good PVE specs, so you won't have to do much action bar shuffling.
    Last edited by lgw; 07-12-2011 at 05:32 AM.

RE: 5 AM or not a pvp spec:

I see no damage output difference between 15 AM and 30 points in Warlock; as far as boosting damage goes they are about equal. I would say if you want the defensive cooldowns from lock and a 31/32 point abilities from another line it is not a mistake to take 0 AM (or even 0 Archon) in a pvp spec. ie 34 Lock / 32 <something else> is a viable way to go especially if you're not rank 4.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Some viable specs here, some not.

Also you are missing some of mages best specs for pvp right now, like 51 dom or chlorolock or even pyroinator.
    Last edited by Arcanas; 07-12-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    RE: 5 AM or not a pvp spec:

I see no damage output difference between 15 AM and 30 points in Warlock; as far as boosting damage goes they are about equal. I would say if you want the defensive cooldowns from lock and a 31/32 point abilities from another line it is not a mistake to take 0 AM (or even 0 Archon) in a pvp spec. ie 34 Lock / 32 <something else> is a viable way to go especially if you're not rank 4.
    1) Detaunt
    2) Detaunt
    3) ... also show me that with your Lich Form up you rack up enough offensive power for the big time where you don't have it up. (Plus getting purged, CC, etc - in particular w/o BF) The difference is very noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    All extensively battle tested, all viable till proven otherwise - prove goes with solid argument, not empty onliners.

Also you are missing some of mages best specs for pvp right now, like 51 dom
    Mentioned.

or chlorolock
    Mentioned.

or even pyroinator.
    Even more of a glass cannon (and again also touched in my Pyro paragraph).

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    1) Detaunt
    Works well against 1 guy, no doubt, but Neddra's Essence (you know the one in WARLOCK) works on everyone hitting you.

3) ... also show me that with your Lich Form up you rack up enough offensive power for the big time where you don't have it up. (Plus getting purged, CC, etc - in particular w/o BF)
    WARLOCK not necromancer, you get +20% damage and 5% crit passive (compare to 15% damage, +30% crit damage), and defensive cooldowns that outclass detaunt, as well as choke, fear, wither, dots, opportunity... though admittedly at a higher cost.

34 Warlock 32 Dom is awesome. AE Dots to cover shackles and TI, more CC than you can handle had to kill through all the CC.
    34 Warlock 32 Chloro is a beast, very hard to take out, and it heals people... turns into a tank in WFs.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Telaran

I just wanted to throw in a bit more support for chlorolock as a very solid spec. Dominator is really nice and I wouldn't fault anyone for running the spec you listed, but my experiences with chlorolock have been excellent.

I'm R4 now and have 0 valor gear. I'm running mostly T2 armor with a smattering of raid gear. With chlorolock I can easily push my HP over 6k without using a vial, and once I get my PVP focus set up I'll probably be closer to 7k if not over. That said, I still melt if I get focused by geared players as valor is just that important.

Even though I'm gimping myself with low valor, I still perform very well in pug warfronts. It's not at all uncommon to be top damage and top heals with a middling number of killing blows, casting only chloro spells. It's frequently not even close either -- I've had warfronts where I doubled or even tripled the next closest damage dealer. Granted I'm aware that these must be mediocre players, but regardless I think you can put out respectable damage and very respectable raid heals with this build.

Once I get R6 and full valor, I can only imagine what's possible.

lgw

Works well against 1 guy, no doubt, but Neddra's Essence (you know the one in WARLOCK) works on everyone hitting you.
    NE is certainly not a bad spell (I have it myself in the 33 WL version). But there are a few issues:
    1) 3min CD.
    2) People have learned it, you get CCed / purged often.
    3) It overdoes it. Damage reduction vs players is capped at 75%, and with even some basic Valor and Detaunt you're going to hit 60-70%.

WARLOCK not necromancer, you get +20% damage and 5% crit passive (compare to 15% damage, +30% crit damage), and defensive cooldowns that outclass detaunt, as well as choke, fear, wither, dots, opportunity... though admittedly at a higher cost.
    Higher cost, and 15 AM also has 5% crit (10% at 50% uptime), and it has Runic, Detaunt and Degeneration.

34 Warlock 32 Dom is awesome. AE Dots to cover shackles and TI, more CC than you can handle had to kill through all the CC.
    For Dom + Dmg + Survival go 32 Dom / 16 AM / 18 Chl. More HP, much more selfhealing, greater damage boost (AM + 25% Int + 19% from Charge) while only losing Devouring Shadows.

34 Warlock 32 Chloro is a beast, very hard to take out, and it heals people... turns into a tank in WFs.
    Quote Originally Posted by swarmofseals View Post
    I just wanted to throw in a bit more support for chlorolock as a very solid spec. Dominator is really nice and I wouldn't fault anyone for running the spec you listed, but my experiences with chlorolock have been excellent.

I'm R4 now and have 0 valor gear. I'm running mostly T2 armor with a smattering of raid gear. With chlorolock I can easily push my HP over 6k without using a vial, and once I get my PVP focus set up I'll probably be closer to 7k if not over. That said, I still melt if I get focused by geared players as valor is just that important.

Even though I'm gimping myself with low valor, I still perform very well in pug warfronts. It's not at all uncommon to be top damage and top heals with a middling number of killing blows, casting only chloro spells. It's frequently not even close either -- I've had warfronts where I doubled or even tripled the next closest damage dealer. Granted I'm aware that these must be mediocre players, but regardless I think you can put out respectable damage and very respectable raid heals with this build.

Once I get R6 and full valor, I can only imagine what's possible.
    As I wrote, Chloro / Lock is a good spec - it just doesn't perform equal. Except 8s Neddra's and possibly +10% HP WL doesn't provide anything substantial to survivability. Dom can take out two players cold easily (with low or no CD), and Deny on 10s CD is freaking huge.
    You lack a healing debuff, you lack the burst to kill somebody with healing backup and your CC is medicore (NB: Not claiming Chl/Dom does this all). I tested it multiple times in P6 vs P6 play, and its just not up to the game. Of course you'll never see Dom numbers in any of these fancy WF statistics, because there no "potential damage prevented" - but ask your Paragon buddy how much it blows to eat Transference and lose 50 NRG + 7s regen just after charging in with Dual Stike and Bend like the Reed fired...
    Last edited by lgw; 07-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Rift Disciple

I had a lengthy reply breaking down why most of those specs just don't really cut it. But I'll keep it short instead.
    Nuke: 51 Warlock 15 AM. 2k voidbolt crits on low-valor targets and a possible 4k burst in 3 seconds is nice.

Healing: 3x/3x/1 to 5 AM Chlorolock. ChloroDom is too gimmicky and doesn't HEAL your team as well.

Support: Either 31 Dom and a combination of whatever else (lock, chloro, whatever), or 51 Dom. If you really want to use SC... then just 11 for ride the wind. The rest isn't useful enough when your SUPPORTING your team. It shouldn't be support.

AOE: 51 dom or 3x/3x ele/sc. It's either burst fast and die in 4 seconds or use mass betrayal.

Resilient isn't as good, because you want to ward off WARRIORS for the most part. The other classes are a bit more managable. However, 44 paragons have paired strike, which guarantees 3 crits incoming. Not much point in this talent if the warrior's already at 100%, unless your group doesn't have as many as ours does.

Yes, there's a lot of testing everyone's already done. These are probably the best, and for good reason. You can't really have one setup do absolutely everything or rely solely on gimmicks every 3 minutes. Solid, consistent, support, dps, or heals, are what win warfronts. Open-world and duels are another matter, and all kinds of gimmicks can assist in winning those particulars. It doesn't mean they will work as well in team play.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 07-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.

My Paras, Sins, and MM can bite me spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...cA0zRo.VVd0M0c
    I also use the Valor Essences and sigil+BM brew. Puts out good healing while essentially being a mage tank. Personally love wading into groups of wartards dropping Wild Growth + Corrosion+Natures Fury.

I go up to 3 in Ethereal Shell but for some damn reason AM keeps sheering the points off even after locking the build*
    Last edited by Krazybojangles; 07-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

4 pvp 31 dom 31 pyro - if you're heavily geared and actually a decent player is THE most impactful PVP spec in 1.3. Ask the guardian in my battlegroup, they'll vouch.

For Dom + Dmg + Survival go 32 Dom / 16 AM / 18 Chl. More HP, much more selfhealing, greater damage boost (AM + 25% Int + 19% from Charge) while only losing Devouring Shadows...
    See we just play differently. When I run dom/lock there are people healing me (and everyone else) in the raid. I can get heals from other chloros' nukes. I don't spend cooldowns topping myself off instead of doing what I was there to do. I am not a big fan of running a great 1v1 spec in a team setting if my spec prevents some on my team from helping me, mostly talking about the LGV buff not allowing chloro heals from other chloros.

You lose more than DS when you drop lock. You lose Void Bolt, a spammable 1.5 cast hard hitting nuke and replace it with Vile Spores 2.0 cast that hits for less and leave a dot that it then overwrites. You lose 3 dots 2 of which spread into AE DoTs for masking your Dom debuffs. You lose opportunity, which allows for things like storm shackle and death's edict to be used on the move. Nothing like dropping a dot on someone immune to squirrel and getting a instant shackle as they try to flee, sure it depends on RNG, but if you pay attention you can make it very useful.

I never use charge for anything other than AE silence and Reflective Presence on my Dom. What would I use +19% damage on? Shackle + TI? SP, do the shades get +19%?

Re: chlorolock

Again we play it for different reasons. I play mine because there are too few healers in a WF (otherwise I would be on the domlock). I'm there to spam life nukes and heal peole while living the longest and being the hardest to kill. Seems that you are trying to use it to get kills, where the spec (at least the one I run) isn't designed to do it.

I refuse to pvp as a healing mage without the following:
    - Neddra's Essence
    - Shadow Life,
    - Essence Surge,
    - Corrosion,
    - Wild Growth
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybojangles View Post
    My Paras, Sins, and MM can bite me spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...cA0zRo.VVd0M0c
    I also use the Valor Essences and sigil+BM brew. Puts out good healing while essentially being a mage tank. Personally love wading into groups of wartards dropping Wild Growth + Corrosion+Natures Fury.

I go up to 3 in Ethereal Shell but for some damn reason AM keeps sheering the points off even after locking the build*
    That's certainly an interesting one.
    Although I'd still consider PA. You then might either pick up Stealth Ward or add 1-2p in Ele for Ice Shield and maybe Exposure. Reason is that max gear (44%) plus Ele (+10% = 54%) plus Steelweave (+5% = 59%) is already very close to the reduction cap (75%). Add Runic Shield and you shoot way past it, even with dmg taken debuffs and without max gear.

See we just play differently. When I run dom/lock there are people healing me (and everyone else) in the raid. I can get heals from other chloros' nukes. I don't spend cooldowns topping myself off instead of doing what I was there to do. I am not a big fan of running a great 1v1 spec in a team setting if my spec prevents some on my team from helping me, mostly talking about the LGV buff not allowing chloro heals from other chloros.

You lose more than DS when you drop lock. You lose Void Bolt, a spammable 1.5 cast hard hitting nuke and replace it with Vile Spores 2.0 cast that hits for less and leave a dot that it then overwrites. You lose 3 dots 2 of which spread into AE DoTs for masking your Dom debuffs. You lose opportunity, which allows for things like storm shackle and death's edict to be used on the move. Nothing like dropping a dot on someone immune to squirrel and getting a instant shackle as they try to flee, sure it depends on RNG, but if you pay attention you can make it very useful.

I never use charge for anything other than AE silence and Reflective Presence on my Dom. What would I use +19% damage on? Shackle + TI? SP, do the shades get +19%?
    Fair point. But when you expect to run with your group anyway, I see even less use in having that one 3min CD, that is just bound to get purged / CCed. Pushing up AM 15 and going only for the basics with WL 20 still gives a better damage output and three good 1min defensive CDs.

Re: chlorolock

Again we play it for different reasons. I play mine because there are too few healers in a WF (otherwise I would be on the domlock). I'm there to spam life nukes and heal peole while living the longest and being the hardest to kill. Seems that you are trying to use it to get kills, where the spec (at least the one I run) isn't designed to do it.

I refuse to pvp as a healing mage without the following:
    - Neddra's Essence
    - Shadow Life,
    - Essence Surge,
    - Corrosion,
    - Wild Growth
    Damage prevented > damage healed.
    Best and most important for a Chloro in PVP is Bloom. Then come both Nature's Fury and Flourish, and then the rest. The passive boost from WL only affects your Life nukes, and for staying alive and also keeping your fellows alive the tools from Dom are much much better than your 3min CDs from WL.

Again, Chloro / Lock is a perfectly viable spec. But it's neither fish nor fowl, and the pretty numbers in WF statistics only tell half the story.

But what's up anyway ? I never said "don't play Chloro / Lock". I only said this or that spec is great at fulfilling certain roles needed in PVP. I just don't get why people are all over me for not considering Chloro / Lock the best thing since sliced cheese...

I don't think anyone is "on" you; this is actually a reasonably constructive thread with good points being brought up.

I think part of the problem, or rather the reason, we see things differently is that most 98% of my PVP is warfrounts, while it sounds like you have a bit more world pvp and small group encounters under your belt. It's usually an assist train of 3 to 5 that takes me out, so my experience with Detaunt is not the same as someone who might be fighting a lot of 2 v 2 or 2 v 1 fights.

The only problems I see with a mixed-function spec like dom chloro is that its trying to accomplish 2 things, while at the same time being limited by the same GCD and cast time rules. So it ends up accomplishing two halves of two different things. i.e. If you are busy CCing/locking down a healer/DPS you are not healing your team, you are not looking at raid frames for cleanses, while at the same time when you do need to heal the dom doesn't lend itself to assist you in the "making green numbers" process. I can see some good synergy there, though, it's more of a pro-active approach to damage mitigation; if you pop reflective presence on the warrior in the front you don't have to try to heal him through the enemy Pyro's Heatwave.

You keep focusing on the "getting buffs sheared" problem of the lock cooldowns. I wanted to mention that running 0 archon in the Chlorolock build slows that down to a great degree, they are not going to shear through a ticking-up searing vitality stack with any kind of efficiency. Not unless all they want to do is eradicate you for the entire WF.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post

Also you are missing some of mages best specs for pvp right now, like 51 dom or chlorolock or even pyroinator.
    Chlorolock is a spec you must take a lot of care and i dont suggest it for most of the mages (they get me crazy in pvp) chloro lock is the best AoE heals, we use that on heavy AoE heals fight like Hylas, but in pvp most ppl dont know how to use it. They keep using attack spell like void bolt, devouring shadows, and spamming warlock DotS. This is a healer spec in my opinion they must focus in healing, if you want to kill with dots and the famous devouring shadows go 51 lock its most usefull.

There are some chlorolock that suck hard at the point i can outdamge and outheal them by using half battle 51 lock and half battle 51 chloro, and when i play chloro i only care about heals.

Agree with Hethroin in the last post, mixed builds can turn in a problem when doing both things bad and ending not doing any difference.

Shadowlander

A lot of good debate here.

As a new 50, and new to rift pvp I'd like to try out a dom spec.

First intentions were to go dom / chloro but after reading this i'm leaning more towards a dom / lock build

coming from a rank 1, which would be a better way to start me on my path to pvp
    Last edited by Aeniklast; 07-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast