+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Archon Spec? PVE Raiding

Telaran

Default Best Archon Spec? PVE Raiding

Looking for someone to give me advice of which archon spec pushes highest single target dps. But at the same time can fully archon. I hear people talking about pushing 800+ as archon but I can't find the spec that seems to do that. If anyone could point me in the right direction. Preferably a spec that kind of explains the archon. Link me some good builds that have rotations and macros. Thanks for your time!

as an archon your primary goal is not to get your dps as high as it can be. you are a support class, your mandate is different.

Priority chain:
    A) Keep 5 auras active
    B) keep the mob debuffed
    C) keep Heals from going oom (mental flare can be cast on allies, use it)
    D) assist with cures/wards as needed (cleansing flames/consuming flames)
    E) apply tempbuffs and dps as able while doing A-D

Build: 51 arch, 10 elementalist (+ crit and 10% dr), 5 warlock (5/5 magical affinity)

make sure power drain is up as much of the time as you can humanly manage.

macro:
    #show surging flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast earthen barrage
    cast volcanic bomb
    cast surging flare
    cast pillaging stone
    cast searing vitality

other macros:

#show Consuming flames
    stopcasting
    cast @ mouseoverui Consuming flames

#show mental flare
    stopcasting
    ra power feed used, 2min to next!
    cast @focus mental flare

#show planar lure
    focus @mouseoverui

you will top no parses as an archon, however if you play an archon well by making full use of all the abilities at your disposal, your raid will love you (if they don't they're a load of blithering fools you probably want to do without anyway)
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Personally I find 5 Pyro, 10 DOM to be one of the more useful builds. The extra .5 seconds off of casting Cleansing Flames, and the extra 10% Int (mental flare) make a pretty big different in a raid.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by LatsyrcMoy View Post
    Personally I find 5 Pyro, 10 DOM to be one of the more useful builds. The extra .5 seconds off of casting Cleansing Flames, and the extra 10% Int (mental flare) make a pretty big different in a raid.
    Plus you have a reflect shield that can be tossed on the tank, which is extremely useful in some fights.

It really depends though. If you are having trouble with survivability (lots of undergeared Archons do in AoE fights) then 10 Ele is the way to go.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 07-11-2011 at 06:07 AM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

aux

Quote Originally Posted by Araenn View Post
    make sure power drain is up as much of the time as you can humanly manage.
    No... make sure it's up when it counts. Don't just spam this stuff.

I also recommend putting Leeching Flames in your skill spam macro, it's good.
    I'm so BORED

cast @mouseoverui

I use this on the shield and the mana return spells.

I currently run 10 dom, 5 ele. I have around 5k hp with all auras going, which ends up being more than some of the lower geared folks in the raid. Power Drain can be toggled off when not needed so I don't feel that I'm losing much when I don't spec 25% faster charge gain from lock, and go with 5% more crits from ele.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Soulwalker

I saw somewhere mention of something like;

16chloro/10warlock and the rest in Archon, seems feasible for what I want. Will be doing primarily 5man support groups with some old roommates.

Anyone think thats viable?

aux

Quote Originally Posted by g0at View Post

16chloro/10warlock and the rest in Archon, seems feasible for what I want. Will be doing primarily 5man support groups with some old roommates.

A 50-point Archon is wasting roughly 50 points that could be more useful elsewhere.
    I'm so BORED

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by g0at View Post

IF you don't hit Burning purpose there is absolutely no reason to make an Archon build.

Rift Chaser

the first post in this thread is all you need.

On any boss which has a cycling ability list, make sure to use Power Drain BEFORE the cast starts, or it will have no effect. Get 6 stacks of pillaging stone up asap.

The best archon spec is 51 archon/10 elementalist/5 warlock. Another good one is 51 Archon/10 dominator/5 lock. The first goes a long way in countering the vulnerability you have as an archon through 10% damage mitigation, and the 5% crit is nice as well, wheras the second shoul be used on fights with an ability which can be reflected.

Always use consuming flames when it's off cooldown. Usually on yourself.

You will not be topping dps charts as an archon, and if you are trying to pull higher dps instead of, say, casting consuming flames or power drain, something is wrong.

Also, any build which does not use 51 points in archon is an automatic fail and should be completely disregarded.

I usually go 4 pyro/11 dom.

10% more mana, charge field (any dps boost helps especially with low end guilds), arresting presence (which is good for adds like the ground faeries on duke), and quicker cast times with some fire spells.

My build is more for utility than damage though.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Champion

6 pyro, 9 ele

Plane Touched

For blatant DPS, 9 dom/6 pyro is best (since you get the ground of power to stand in) -- but for mobility, 10/5 is perfect. I've experimented with 5 in lock (charge generation), 5 in elementalist (crit rating), and even the 10 or 15 in lock (which is an absolute trainwreck), and I always come back to 9/6 dom/pyro or 10/5 dom/pyro as the most effective builds.

9/6 obviously will net you more DPS on a stationary fight (first bosses in GP, GSB, RoS), but if you're not in that GoP the vast majority of the fight, the extra 2% int is easier to passively maintain.

Going heavier into dominator also gives you more utility, but it's ultimately up to what suits your playstyle, and what your raid needs from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Araenn View Post
    as an archon your primary goal is not to get your dps as high as it can be. you are a support class, your mandate is different.
    Actually, your goal as any class/role is to contribute as much as you can towards the downing of the boss. As an archon, that means as long as your not sacrificing any meaningful spell/buff/debuff, looking to improve your dps is commendable.

It's easy for support classes to say their dps doesn't matter, and figure they can slack off because the raid isn't judging them by their dps, but even the 400-600 a chloro can pull helps out.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Guaritor View Post
    Actually, your goal as any class/role is to contribute as much as you can towards the downing of the boss. As an archon, that means as long as your not sacrificing any meaningful spell/buff/debuff, looking to improve your dps is commendable.

It's easy for support classes to say their dps doesn't matter, and figure they can slack off because the raid isn't judging them by their dps, but even the 400-600 a chloro can pull helps out.
    Pretty much this.

If your gear isn't crap, and you're not pulling 900+ single target as an archon, you're doing something wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast