+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on a new mage PvP build

Shadowlander

Default Thoughts on a new mage PvP build

Hey guys, just want to thank you for reading, early in.
    I've tried a lot of different dominator builds, but i was trying to theory craft a new build for high burst as dom. What i've come up with is something like this = http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vzc.MsizikVgbk

Quite a few builds sound amazing in theory, and you get to trying it and it's nothing but trash. With this build, I'd get Lightning Strike, Hastened Withdrawal, Ice Shield, Storm Shackle, and Mental Shock. Of course there's some other abilities in there that are nice, but the spells listed above were what i had as highlights in my head.

Thanks again for reading, any and all thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated.

You've linked it wrong, its taking us to an empty build.

Try to link it again so we can see this build, sounds interesting ^^

Shadowlander

Soulwalker

I like the build its interesting. A few problems I seen with it though. No reflective presence? You went in the damge tree on arch but only have 1 big damage spell LS. I think you said this was a pvp build? Not much survivability. Pvp is all about how long can you survive. My advice 15 arch 5 on left side 10 on right. that frees up 3 I would put those 3 in dom 1 ref presence. 2 empowered pres. If you have good valor gear this will help you out alot.

Just my 2 cents.
    good luck
    Silent

Shadowlander

Thanks for the feedback, yeah, like i said it's a burst build, so i'd need a pocket healer. I played it a bit last night, it solely revolves around storm shackle, LS, and Traitorous Influence. As for survivability all you have is insta trans, ice shield, and mental shock to gain distance. i never really use reflective presence as it relies on RNG, i do however love arresting as it's a silence. i like the idea of taking points from the offensive side of AM for some survivability.
    I go full offense because that's my mindset while crafting this new build

Somehow you have managed to put 39 points into dom and not pickup Reflective Presence and Empowered Presence. Both of which are about 400% better return on points than 5/5 ineptitude and 2/2 imp. charged shield. Having a full charge bar and casting Reflective Presence on yourself means free kills on mages and inquisitors that are not paying attention, sometimes kills on those that are.

I would recommend this. 10 lock has a much better return on points than 9 ele for the dominator. You do go through mana quickly with how expensive squirrels are to cast, making you use of sac life:mana often, CC + reconstruct is a solid 1v1 self-heal, and opportunity lets you maximize your hastened withdrawl utility.

about Reflective relying on RNG:

Think of it this way, either you have it and have a 75% chance per spell to have the pyro eat his own heatwave + furball spam, or you tank every fireball he throws at you, and explode after 3 or 4.
    Last edited by Hethroin; 07-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkill1978 View Post
    I like the build its interesting. A few problems I seen with it though. No reflective presence? 1 ref presence. 2 empowered pres. If you have good valor gear this will help you out alot.
    Not sure how Ref Presence works

just cast on single enemy or everyone targeting you?

33/33 chlor/dom....build charge and tank(out heal) dmg that gets through reflection?

Shadowlander

hmm ^ both your comments are interesting thoughts. i do have a chloro dom build, but i trade my burst for survivability. like i've been saying throughout, however, this build is to max my burst as dom. I took points out of hastened withdrawal and put points into reduced damage in ele.
    Also, for imp charged shield, i do want to take points out of that, 50 damage increased to like 90 is nothing, and i'm still tweaking this build for the most effectiveness i can achieve with it. there isn't much survivability, thusly a healer is needed, but if you can find one, i've been destroying anyone with storm shackle and lightning strike. I'll see what i can do with reflective presence, and incompetence is the only thing i have for health back, and it actually turns into a nice group heal with ineptitude, however it is unnecessary at best. Thanks for all your insight, keep them coming!

Shadowlander

Also, my newly revised build looks like this.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vuc.MsVdikqMfk

Quote Originally Posted by quicklikesloth View Post
    Not sure how Ref Presence works

just cast on single enemy or everyone targeting you?

33/33 chlor/dom....build charge and tank(out heal) dmg that gets through reflection?
    Reflective Presence is unique in that it does not care if your target is a enemy or friendly, it just lands on them, and applies a radius for reflecting to every friendly. If the target dies or you run out of charge your cooldown is up and your reflection is over, so casting it on tankier friendlies usually gets better mileage.

Casting it on the pyro and standing 5m from him will have the same outcome as casting it on you, unless the pyro moves taking you out of the reflective aura range.

The reflection works on every incoming single-target spell (storm shackle, voidbolt, radiate death, vex, sanction heretic, choke...)
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    Reflective Presence is unique in that it does not care if your target is a enemy or friendly, it just lands on them, and applies a radius for reflecting to every friendly. If the target dies or you run out of charge your cooldown is up and your reflection is over, so casting it on tankier friendlies usually gets better mileage.

Casting it on the pyro and standing 5m from him will have the same outcome as casting it on you, unless the pyro moves taking you out of the reflective aura range.

The reflection works on every incoming single-target spell (storm shackle, voidbolt, radiate death, vex, sanction heretic, choke...)
    so If I warlock/dom...and cast Naddra's influnce,shadow life, and full charge Reflective......I'd wipe the party?

Quote Originally Posted by quicklikesloth View Post
    so If I warlock/dom...and cast Naddra's influnce,shadow life, and full charge Reflective......I'd wipe the party?
    Only if "the party" is a group of blue bars that all want to cast nukes on you without regard for anything else going on. If this is the case than you also don't need to cast influence or shadow life, go directly to Reflective Presence on self, and maybe a TI on someone beefy in the middle, spam void bolts too so it looks like you're the one killing them and not them killing themselves.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    Only if "the party" is a group of blue bars that all want to cast nukes on you without regard for anything else going on. If this is the case than you also don't need to cast influence or shadow life, go directly to Reflective Presence on self, and maybe a TI on someone beefy in the middle, spam void bolts too so it looks like you're the one killing them and not them killing themselves.
    nah, probably neural prod (instant), and Ill keep jumping up and down....that's like blood in the water to these groupers

ps wild growth right after a trans?
    Last edited by quicklikesloth; 07-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread