+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's with all the elitists?

Default What's with all the elitists?

I'm still relatively new to the game but I have noticed an uncomfortable amount of elitists on several servers and forum sections.

By elitist I mean those who worry more about gear and skill stats than the actual game itself. There are no ladder tournaments or server rankings or any kind of commendation for being "uber", so why are so many obsessed with gear and skill build flavors of the month instead of just playing a class that is *gasp* fun?

Usually the only gamers I see obsessing about above stated topics are on pvp servers. Instead, I see these kinds of conversations on all kinds of server forum sections.

I have tried several builds in each of the 4 main types and anything can kill a mob just as easy as another so I fail to see what the fuss is.
    1-Don't hide behind the anonymity of the Internet just to be a bully.
    2-Don't spew vulgar language. It only denotes the absence of intelligence, not a presence of maturity.
    3-Do remember that you are still a responsible human being, regardless of your bandwidth.

By your signature I can tell you are still not accustomed to the internet.

Trolling is a art.

Plane Touched

A lot of people, like myself, like toying with build ideas, theorycrafting, and just trying to be the most valuable player we can and fit into a competent raid group. Some of us find that to be the fun aspect of the game, but it can come off as elitist to others who don't feel the same way.

It's just about doing what you find fun.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Uhgii View Post
    A lot of people, like myself, like toying with build ideas, theorycrafting, and just trying to be the most valuable player we can and fit into a competent raid group. Some of us find that to be the fun aspect of the game, but it can come off as elitist to others who don't feel the same way.

It's just about doing what you find fun.
    Being elitist is generally one of the following.

1. Telling someone that the only right way to do something is the most effective way. (playing a top dps build etc.)

2. Being better than the majority of people and always letting them know it.

Simply trying to get the most out of your character is not elitist.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Argizeos View Post
    Being elitist is generally one of the following.

1. Telling someone that the only right way to do something is the most effective way. (playing a top dps build etc.)

2. Being better than the majority of people and always letting them know it.

Simply trying to get the most out of your character is not elitist.
    I don't disagree, but I was going by his definition of elitist:

By elitist I mean those who worry more about gear and skill stats than the actual game itself.

Plane Touched

I don't disagree, but I was going by his definition of elitist:
    I guess I should read before I post.
    /facepalm

Well OP, I have to disagree with your definition of elitist.
    People play the game to have fun, and getting the most out of their character is fun for a lot of people.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Gear and skill are a huge part of the game. You cannot separate gear and kill from the game and it is offensive to call people elitist when they are simply playing the game in the way they see fit.

I figured there would be at least one flame, so not surprised at that and certainly not dignifying it's rude comment by replying to it either.

As far as the other replies go, it makes some sense I suppose that some would find it enjoyable due to some sense of OCD perhaps in creating a specific build.

Kind of like organizing a shoe collection when you're the only one who sees your closet, hehe.
    2-Don't spew vulgar language. It only denotes the absence of intelligence, not a presence of maturity.
    3-Do remember that you are still a responsible human being, regardless of your bandwidth.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Azrakhor View Post
    Kind of like organizing a shoe collection when you're the only one who sees your closet, hehe.
    Heh, close. I'd say more like modifying your weapon for a war, where it benefits both you and your allies for it to work at its maximum effectiveness, applying to both PvE and PvP aspects of the game.

Sure, your weapon shoots and kills just like mine, but mine does so more efficiently because I spent the time perfecting it, and practicing with it. We simply place our values elsewhere, and have fun doing different things within a game.

In other words, just because you want to play with hotwheels and I want to construct and piece together model cars doesn't mean we can't both enjoy what we're doing without poking fun at the other.

Edit: I guess a better analogy would be regarding car enthusiasts. Sure you just want your car to get you from point A to point B, but a lot of people really enjoy making their car flashier, faster, modifying it inside and out to make it the best they can. Sure they ultimately do the same thing, and we both end up at point B, but I value mine doing it faster and more effectively, and have a lot of fun making it do so.
    Last edited by Uhgii; 07-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Gear and skill are a huge part of the game. You cannot separate gear and kill from the game and it is offensive to call people elitist when they are simply playing the game in the way they see fit.
    You contradicted yourself by the way. You said that "Gear and skill are a huge part of the game" which would suggest that one cannot play the game without playing by that aspect. The other part of your comment says "...playing the game how they see fit." The two statements don't backup the same point.

Gear and skill are a part of any game, that's obvious. How anyone chooses to use those is their perogative and no one should tell them they are doing it wrong because they have a different playstyle.

By elitists I am referring to those like I said, care more about the gear and skills than the game itself.

I am hoping that this game doesn't go down that slippery slope and create a rude community that cares only about their skewed view on gear and skill instead of appreciating the game for what it is.

By that I am meaning those who push their "builds" on others and if you aren't using a certain build, you don't get an invite to a needed raid for example.

I never once indicated gamers who are merely really good at the playstyle.

Heh, close. I'd say more like modifying your weapon for a war, where it benefits both you and your allies for it to work at its maximum effectiveness, applying to both PvE and PvP aspects of the game.

Sure, your weapon shoots and kills just like mine, but mine does so more efficiently because I spent the time perfecting it, and practicing with it. We simply place our values elsewhere, and have fun doing different things within a game.

In other words, just because you want to play with hotwheels and I want to construct and piece together model cars doesn't mean we can't both enjoy what we're doing without poking fun at the other.

Edit: I guess a better analogy would be regarding car enthusiasts. Sure you just want your car to get you from point A to point B, but a lot of people really enjoy making their car flashier, faster, modifying it inside and out to make it the best they can. Sure they ultimately do the same thing, and we both end up at point B, but I value mine doing it faster and more effectively, and have a lot of fun making it do so.
    Ok, I have to admit that makes a lot more sense to me coming from a car enthusiast perspective, thanks.

Plane Touched

Ok, I have to admit that makes a lot more sense to me coming from a car enthusiast perspective, thanks.
    Great! I'm glad. So yeah, think of us more as "enthusiasts" than "elitists."

I'll never ridicule anyone who wants to play more casually, and lead a relatively casual (albeit massive) guild, with a lot of relaxed and casual members who are just enjoying the PvE and PvP within the game at their own pace, but we also have a group of relatively hardcore progressive raiders. It's just a matter of what you have fun with. You're paying a monthly subscription for a game -- play it the way you want it, whether it be progressive raiding, casual questing, or riding around Meridian naked on a turtle.
    Last edited by Uhgii; 07-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.

You contradicted yourself by the way. You said that "Gear and skill are a huge part of the game" which would suggest that one cannot play the game without playing by that aspect. The other part of your comment says "...playing the game how they see fit." The two statements don't backup the same point.

Gear and skill are a part of any game, that's obvious. How anyone chooses to use those is their perogative and no one should tell them they are doing it wrong because they have a different playstyle.

By elitists I am referring to those like I said, care more about the gear and skills than the game itself.

I am hoping that this game doesn't go down that slippery slope and create a rude community that cares only about their skewed view on gear and skill instead of appreciating the game for what it is.

By that I am meaning those who push their "builds" on others and if you aren't using a certain build, you don't get an invite to a needed raid for example.

I never once indicated gamers who are merely really good at the playstyle.
    Are you pushing your rules of the English language on me? Is the way I communicate not good enough for you?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by GriffonHawke View Post
    By your signature I can tell you are still not accustomed to the internet.

Trolling is a art.
    trolling is "an" art. LTW

Shadowlander

Learning to not feed them i also an art, apparently. *shoos azra away*
    Last edited by Vheress; 07-11-2011 at 04:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast