+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best SIMPLEST solution for mages - PvE

Default Best SIMPLEST solution for mages - PvE

What would be the easiest way to bring mages in line across all specs with other classes dps? We know what ever they do to buff mages it can be modified in PVP so I'm not referring to pvp.

In a raid situation for dps, what would be the easiest global fix for mages?

examples:
    Just increase the SP modifier?
    Reduce GCD?
    Increase Int:SP ratio?

Thoughts or ideas? Now this has to be really simple. Anything remotely complex and I'm certain after maging for so long that its just not realistically going to happen so it needs to be something simple, but not OP.
    Last edited by Gill; 07-10-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Abusive Language Directed at Trion Employees

Nerf spotter's order. I'm not even kidding about this.

increase sp coefficients.

its not just mages, clerics need a boost too imo :/ they get the short stick a lot because people sorta expect them to do less dps then other callings. Mage dps does need a boost, but I think it is less drastic than people are making it out to be atm. I'm not sure there really is a simple solution, probably the best route is finding the highest long term dps spells in common mage spec breakdowns and increasing modifiers on them, overalll sp increases might have bad side effects.

Plane Touched

Reduced Global would be a very good first step. DoTs would become better since they are mostly instant. Opportunity would become much more useful to most specs. It might actually make Wildfire procs for Pyro useful. Debuff reliant specs would have an easier time maintaining.

It wouldn't be a silver bullet though. A couple specs would become good but many more would still languish.
    People use the words "casual" and "bad" interchangeably, when in reality we should not. A casual player in an mmo is someone who plays the game but due to outside events cannot play it for long periods of time. A bad is a player who stands in the fire, ignores boss mechanics, complains about the former, makes nonsensical statements, wants to be pandered to, and all around tanks most mmos.

Its like if I pay to take a college course that I know is supposed to be hard and instead of taking it, I complain and bother the professors that it is to hard. I dont study, I dont practice, I just complain. After all I am paying for the course so I should get an A+.

I have not see mmos go harder only easier. I dont think for a second that trion is "pandering to the casuals that ruin our games", no I think it is that trion is making mistakes and feels that the bads who play their game for 3 months and leave are worth more than those who play for the entirety of its life.

-Robertosaget

Telaran

First and foremost, remove Kervik's influence from any equation there going forward. For as long as his absolute and longstanding "mages shouldn't do consistently competitive ST DPS" grip/stance on the matter remains intact, nothing said/presented here has the potential to make a progressive impact.

I mean "increase SP coefficients" and "reduced global cooldown"? Welcome to suggestion lines that start at the very beginning of player feedback .

Now accepting the unlikeliness of seeing that happen, and focusing the line-of-thought away from the battle that has unfortunately been fought and lost 100 times over now:

- Removing the rogue's sap ability, presenting mages with a bigger window of opportunity to establish spot/s as the group/raid cc option (by every account, we are the designated "utility" pve class afterall), might be a decent and default place to start.

Shadowlander

Reduce GCD would be the easiest solution from 2sec to 1sec.
    Bananaz from Molinar
    www.addictguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by M0NEYSH0T View Post
    If you don't even know what the current GCD is you probably shouldn't post, or play
    Lee Trevino, on why he has never had a golf coach: "When I find one who can beat me, I'll listen."

new 51 point pyro skill : Pyromaniac Insanity (buff) Gives 50 intellect and makes your fireball hits do 50% of its damage after hitting over 6 secs, and cinderbust do 100% of its damage after hitting over 8 secs, as well as moving your ground effect when u move, to move with you

replace combust with new skill : Double Burn

gives your countdown a 20/40/60% chance to tick 2 times

Quote Originally Posted by M0NEYSH0T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySight View Post
    If you don't even know what the current GCD is you probably shouldn't post, or play
    Just what I was thinking.

Mages are not so nerfed. Ok we're a little under where we should be but realy, this forum QQ is insane.

Mages can still break 2k on Plutonus.

Mages have several 1600+ specs.

Wait for hammerknell and synergy crystals before throwing all your toys out of the pram.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Telaran

new 0 point Archon skill
    burn 1% of max target HP, cd 30 sec

___
    LOL

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    Wait for hammerknell and synergy crystals before throwing all your toys out of the pram.
    So only high end raiders deserve to be balanced?
    Last edited by Brad1959; 07-11-2011 at 03:41 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Mages are not so nerfed. Ok we're a little under where we should be but realy, this forum QQ is insane.

Only using the one zoomancer spec and only on that fight and ONLY if it's a super short fight cause your guild has lots of rogues and warriors doing the real dmg and it ends after second set of cds.

Not really and only in very few situations.

You're the only real mage fan left. Yes we can hit 1600 if the boss dies conveniently after our second set of cooldowns as either zm or sc (plutonus). But over a long period that dps levels out and you get a real taste of what it can do which roughly is 1500-1550 while rogues are sustaining 1950+ warriors 1900+ (without being nearly as geared) in my guild and I'm yet to be outdpsd by a mage on my server, or guild so I'm just making up baseless crap.

I do agree I'm curious about HK cause we do seem to scale pretty well with SP, and full HK gear might finally make the difference combined with synergy crystals. But as it is now we do need a good 15% dmg bonus from somewhere to get us closer. 15% of 1550 dps would put us at 1782 which is still in line with trion not liking mages and still below warriors and rogues yet still a little closer.

I agree the forums are QQ insane, but I think that stems from mage min/maxers doing everything they can to TRY to catch up to 1 button ppl with absolutely zero skill copying a macro from the forums doing 500 more dps and bragging about it. It's... aggravating. Want to be the best dps? go rogue. Want to be the best tank? go rogue. Want to tie the best dps? be a warrior. Want to be close to best tank? be a warrior. Want to tank? heal? dps? and all better than mage? go cleric. I dont know why the forums are QQ insane......

Mages are fun, not bad, but definitely need some more attention than this bs.

Shadowlander

Can you provide a parse of a mage doing 2k dps on Plutonus? I am pretty sure this is impossible and I would really like to see a parse that shows it is not.

I am getting a little sick and tired of people telling mages are fine and everything is a question of skill. I am pretty sure I did't suffer any braindamage since 1.3 was released and I still lost 200-250 DpS.

Champion

Stormcaller is honestly where it should be. Most dominant AoE spec in the game does not need to also be our best single-target spec.

If they simply buff our DoTs, Necro/Lock would be fine. I know they slightly buffed them in 1.3, but not enough. I'm still convinced Necrosis is not doing enough damage (pretty sure people have crunched the numbers and found 60% increase was not working). Not to mention that increasing our DoT damage really isn't going make us OP in PvP by any means.

I wish they would make Dominator a more viable PvE spec. And no, having 1 cooldown skill that makes it viable in a stupid pet-gimmick spec doesn't make it good, imo. Archon is just plain boring to play, but it does its job well. Chloromancer they should just revert back to 1.2, honestly, but they aren't exactly broken right now. Not as much as our DPS specs.

Pyromancer is just a lost cause, I think. They removed the burst damage from a burst damage class and then tried some half-assed way to make it do respectable PvE damage, which failed. It doesn't help that Elementalist is pretty much garbage for a support soul. The +30% crit damage is awesome, too bad you have to dump so many points into worthless pet-buff talents in order to get there.

At the end of the day, they're never going to make the game balanced enough to please every class. I think we should do more DPS, not because we're squishier, but because our rotations are 50x harder than Warriors, Rogues, and Clerics. The extra work should be rewarded. If they want to change the other callings to give them harder rotations that reward them with similar DPS, that would be ok in my book.

I don't think anyone would have major issues if DPS specs all did the same DPS (can't please the trolls, of course). But every Mage has a problem with Mages doing 10-20% less DPS with infinitely harder rotations that are much harder to maintain in a raid environment than the other callings. I just don't understand how Trion does their testing, but all we can hope is the balance pendulum swings back our way in 1.4.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast