+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to go about learning to play dom for pvp?

Soulwalker

Default How to go about learning to play dom for pvp?

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new to the game (still in my first month playing) but I just got my mage to his first prestige level, getting some gear etc. But I haven't found a spec for pvp that really fits me, so I want to try to learn how to play the dominator spec. Lots of people seem to recommend this spec.

So my questions are: what sort of macros should I have set up for this spec? What should a fight look like vs melee or ranged classes (caster/tank/rogue etc)? Are there any abilities from the dom line that I should not be using with this spec? I'll try to think of some more questions

Telaran

Macros? None

Melee = Transference, Mages = Interupt/silence

How to get good? Practice

Soulwalker

Thanks

What should my anytime nuke be? Vile spores? Or should I be using one of the instants

Nearly all of your moves as a dominator have a purpose, but they're nearly all situational. Learning how to recognize these situations and applying the right skill is key. I'm going to assume you're attempting to learn 51 dominator, but this advice is applicable (and perhaps even more important) for hybrid dominators because it becomes even easier to neglect your dominator skills when you have more straightforward stuff available.

Starting off, you ask if there's anything you shouldn't be using. The only dominator move off the top of my head that doesn't serve a purpose is haunting pain. Crappy dot, easily removed by your target. There are a couple of others that you won't be using MUCH, but you should still know when to apply them and be able to recognize these moments in combat. This would be stuff like Grasping Void and Death's Edict, but again these skills are still important and you will need to be able to use them.

So, start with your core moves, the ones you're already using every fight. This probably includes your debuff set, neural prod, transmogrify, split personality, etc. Now, look at the moves you AREN'T using, and work them in one at a time. Like do a couple of warfronts with your core set of moves, plus the one new one. Once you find yourself using it naturally along with the rest of your stuff, add another in. Repeat until you're using everything.

The first few skills I recommend you get comfortable with are Deny (not only casting on yourself, but be capable of dropping it on a flag runner as well), Storm Shackle (use as a damage skill, you have other options for a snare), Arresting Presence (drop this on clusters of clerics), and Reflective Presence (reflecting fulminates back at pyromancers was my favorite thing to do in 1.1 ). Remember, add them in one at a time.

You also asked about macros. There's a lot of buttons to push, so you may need to write some macros. Incompetence, Accelerated Decay, and Void Shroud are useful against everyone so you can safely place all of those in one macro (put Searing Vitality or Neural Prod at the bottom). I also macro'd Reflective Presence to be cast @self. If you can use your modifier buttons well, you won't need this macro, but generally speaking it's most useful to cast it on yourself and position accordingly.

I use two or three other macros (Transference and Mana Wrench, Mental Shock and Death's Edict, Priest's Lament and Void Shroud) but I'm not going to recommend them because sometimes the bottom skill in those two macros needs to be cast without blowing the top one. Up to you if you want to use these.

Last thing I'll mention is to make use of your fast casting talents. If you're about to fire off something with a cast time, drop a squirrel on your target right before it. While the time to fire off the spell is the same or longer because of the additional GCD, the window to interrupt that cast becomes much smaller. This is very important for skills such as Storm Shackle or Mass Exhaustion, or if you're a hybrid, a spell like Nature's Touch benefits greatly from this as well.

I will tell you right now, dominator's probably the single most difficult soul to play effectively, and the only reason it's popular right now is because certain moves are straight up overpowered. The dominators that are using primarily the overpowered moves will find themselves useless after a nerf. If you learn how to use the entire skillset, you will still be effective. So if you're going to try and learn dominator, make sure you learn to use everything. It's all useful.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Soulwalker

Great post, thank you. If I were to try out the 51 dom spec what would you recommend as as the other souls? 15 archmage 0 archon?

The spec I was looking at was 32dom 19 chloro 15 archmage, and hopefully that would give me a little more durability, I seem to die pretty fast to a lot of classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Nearly all of your moves as a dominator have a purpose, but they're nearly all situational. Learning how to recognize these situations and applying the right skill is key. I'm going to assume you're attempting to learn 51 dominator, but this advice is applicable (and perhaps even more important) for hybrid dominators because it becomes even easier to neglect your dominator skills when you have more straightforward stuff available.

Starting off, you ask if there's anything you shouldn't be using. The only dominator move off the top of my head that doesn't serve a purpose is haunting pain. Crappy dot, easily removed by your target. There are a couple of others that you won't be using MUCH, but you should still know when to apply them and be able to recognize these moments in combat. This would be stuff like Grasping Void and Death's Edict, but again these skills are still important and you will need to be able to use them.

So, start with your core moves, the ones you're already using every fight. This probably includes your debuff set, neural prod, transmogrify, split personality, etc. Now, look at the moves you AREN'T using, and work them in one at a time. Like do a couple of warfronts with your core set of moves, plus the one new one. Once you find yourself using it naturally along with the rest of your stuff, add another in. Repeat until you're using everything.

The first few skills I recommend you get comfortable with are Deny (not only casting on yourself, but be capable of dropping it on a flag runner as well), Storm Shackle (use as a damage skill, you have other options for a snare), Arresting Presence (drop this on clusters of clerics), and Reflective Presence (reflecting fulminates back at pyromancers was my favorite thing to do in 1.1 ). Remember, add them in one at a time.

You also asked about macros. There's a lot of buttons to push, so you may need to write some macros. Incompetence, Accelerated Decay, and Void Shroud are useful against everyone so you can safely place all of those in one macro (put Searing Vitality or Neural Prod at the bottom). I also macro'd Reflective Presence to be cast @self. If you can use your modifier buttons well, you won't need this macro, but generally speaking it's most useful to cast it on yourself and position accordingly.

I use two or three other macros (Transference and Mana Wrench, Mental Shock and Death's Edict, Priest's Lament and Void Shroud) but I'm not going to recommend them because sometimes the bottom skill in those two macros needs to be cast without blowing the top one. Up to you if you want to use these.

Last thing I'll mention is to make use of your fast casting talents. If you're about to fire off something with a cast time, drop a squirrel on your target right before it. While the time to fire off the spell is the same or longer because of the additional GCD, the window to interrupt that cast becomes much smaller. This is very important for skills such as Storm Shackle or Mass Exhaustion, or if you're a hybrid, a spell like Nature's Touch benefits greatly from this as well.

I will tell you right now, dominator's probably the single most difficult soul to play effectively, and the only reason it's popular right now is because certain moves are straight up overpowered. The dominators that are using primarily the overpowered moves will find themselves useless after a nerf. If you learn how to use the entire skillset, you will still be effective. So if you're going to try and learn dominator, make sure you learn to use everything. It's all useful.
    This is a good post to listen to.

A few things that I do differently:

I do not macro reflective presence to always cast at me, sometimes it is better used on that p6 warrior ripping people apart up front.

I do have 2 buttons for both deny and reflective command, one of them is a @self macro.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Macros for PvP? This isn't a raid brotha, you gotta learn to fight on the fly and react to situations.

^constructive criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    Macros for PvP? This isn't a raid brotha, you gotta learn to fight on the fly and react to situations.

^constructive criticism
    The macros I think he wants are not cast sequence spam-fot-teh-win-macros.

Rather something like:

#show Deny
    cast @self Deny

or

#show Deny
    cast @mouseoverui Deny
    cast Deny
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    The macros I think he wants are not cast sequence spam-fot-teh-win-macros.

Rather something like:

#show Deny
    cast @self Deny

or

#show Deny
    cast @mouseoverui Deny
    cast Deny
    Ah, lol. Well if heth is correct, your best bet is to put @mouseover in front of most of your spells, then learn to cast on a focus target's target, and then support him while you debuff his target, and not ever switching targets to do that. There are ways to hotkey your spells to do this, in the settings.

Like... your warrior who goes in, have him targetted, but always throw debuffs on who he's attacking at the time.
    Last edited by Menaace; 07-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

+ Reply to Thread