+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is there any hope for mages in pvp

Shadowlander

Default is there any hope for mages in pvp

is there any word from trion that this soul is gonna get some love. i hear that little ring sound and i get up and get some coffee. warriror are beating me into the ground rogues are pricking me to death before i can even use my abilities at best i can turn and get one cast off before iam dead of course its a dot which means nothing. Damn its frustrating maybe all cc should be done away with in pvp, at least when a rogue comes out of hiding i dont have to take a coffee break

Quote Originally Posted by Potestas View Post
    is there any word from trion that this soul is gonna get some love. i hear that little ring sound and i get up and get some coffee. warriror are beating me into the ground rogues are pricking me to death before i can even use my abilities at best i can turn and get one cast off before iam dead of course its a dot which means nothing. Damn its frustrating maybe all cc should be done away with in pvp, at least when a rogue comes out of hiding i dont have to take a coffee break
    Dominator's are incredibly powerful in pvp, and im loving healing as chloro. Theres a couple other lock and necro builds out there too. We aren't one shotting people anymore, but we're still quite viable

Ascendant

mage is a complex class. it requires strategy and practice and understanding of what the other class is trying to do. you can't spam 5 buttons like rogues or warriors or clerics. most mage specs have 30-40 buttons bound and use them all.

to be honest, it sounds like you aren't cut out for mage. you might want to consider re-rolling.

Every lock spec I try I do well with.. I think we're fine.. rogues are cake. Warriors are just overclocked atm.

Rift Master

Warriors are really odd lately.
    One warrior I'll put a incompetence on will light up the healing charts for me - he's usually the guy on top of the dps at the end - you know the guy running around with a pocket healer or 2 and being purged constantly and protected. I get green numbers flying all over the place - he is an aoe monster. He also kills everyone around him like beast.

Then the slowmo warrior comes around - I put that incompetence on him and he's chasing ppl around slowed like a dog, he charges sometimes but ppl usually get away from him. The green numbers just barely happen. He will beat on a healer that is healing thru him and stay far too long on our side - it's like he only attacks and lays out no debuffs.

Obviously the first one is hard to kill - by hard I mean the whole group rezzes a few times before we MIGHT kill him once and is usually the reason we lost the match. The other one dies just because he says on our side long enough for everyone to dot him up and ignore him lol

What I'm wondering is - is it the spec or the gear or just having the healer support.
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Telaran

Honestly there are a lot of people who are just bad or very undergeared. I see rogues and warriors in pug warfronts putting up <20k total damage all the time. I'm shocked at how often I pull top damage as a chloro, and I'm only rank 4. But just because there are bad warriors does not mean that the calling when played properly by a reasonably well geared person isn't an absolute juggernaut. I definitely agree that warriors are a bit too strong now.

However, I strongly disagree with the notion that mages are useless. I typically play chloro lock or 51 lock in pvp depending on the group composition and I do quite well with it. My gear isn't that great (mostly t2 with a few raid items scattered in - no valor at all yet) and I still regularly pull top damage, top heals, or both. Sure I get my face smashed in by warriors pretty frequently, but that does not mean that mages are anywhere near unplayable. Once I get R6 and full valor gear, I fully expect to be an impact player -- and no, I don't think I have any remarkable skill or anything. I'd say I'm pretty average.
    Last edited by swarmofseals; 07-10-2011 at 06:30 PM.

It's hilarious how I see those QQ threads in the mage forums while in the WF forum all those "nerf mages" threads show up.

What the ... ?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    It's hilarious how I see those QQ threads in the mage forums while in the WF forum all those "nerf mages" threads show up.

What the ... ?
    basically every time somebody dies during pvp a new "nerf him boost me" thread is born.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Ascendant

Every calling is completely viable in PvP. People are mostly upset with mages not being the burstiest class. I have never played a burst mage so it isn't a big deal to me. According to the PvE crowds numbers mages do not keep up though and that is probably a legit issue.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

You can either play dot/hot or dom. Our two burst classes are no longer burst unless your fighting low ranks. I would go ahead and try dom out before it goes away again.

lgw

Mages are not a faceroll class, and need to fiddle abit with their spec to get their focus down - but once you have that, there's a lot of high impact specs (see my sig).
    Just don't jump the train and try to get to P5/6 with zero Valor. Make at least some investments to hit 10% (virtually free) or better 20% (still cheap) reduction - better for both you and your teammates.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Mages are not a faceroll class, and need to fiddle abit with their spec to get their focus down - but once you have that, there's a lot of high impact specs (see my sig).
    Just don't jump the train and try to get to P5/6 with zero Valor. Make at least some investments to hit 10% (virtually free) or better 20% (still cheap) reduction - better for both you and your teammates.
    I got r6 without any valor equip and only pve gear with a little problem only unitil r4. Also i can do a great job in warfronts even without valor with 51 lock.

+ Reply to Thread