+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never any Archons

Default Never any Archons

So i originally started playing Chloromancer, which is fun, but i wanted to try something new. Started reading Archon abilities, because i never see ANY. They are amazing i can't believe no one ever plays them.

Well to help people out, i thought i would put up a small post with a few macro's and my spec in case any Mage's wanted to try it out.

I go 51 Archon/15 Chloromancer/0 Dominator.

Main Macro:
    #show Vile Spores
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Radiant Spores
    cast Ruin
    cast Natural Conversion
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Vile Spores

Along with keeping my buffs/debuffs up. i can pull around 500 DPS, and can offheal when needed with Consuming Flame, and Bloom. Mild heals with Lifegiving Veil.
    Seear
    50 Chloromancer

The Cycle of life continues. We will live, they will die." -Nasus, Curator of the Sands

People do play them, but in limited numbers. They aren't terribly useful in 5 mans. You absolutely need one, but no more than one, for 20 mans. They'll never be very common simply due to the way they are designed.

Pretty much any raid should have a 51 Archon. So, people certainly play them. I wouldn't suggest using Veil (or chloro at all, really) unless you don't like getting heals from the dedicated Chloro.

Put some points in Dom for more support abilities (reflect), or put some in Pyro for a little extra damage. Our archon is usually between 6-800 dps for any given fight.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Why would you put radiant spores and natural conversion at the beginning of a macro? Radiant spores has an 8 sec cd and lasts 16 seconds. Natural conversion, with its 90 sec cd untalented is best used strategically rather than blindly. In any case chloro is a poor offsoul for archon because, like mentioned above, you forfeit heals from full healer chloros in your raid and also using vile spores as filler instead of pillaging stone makes you miss out on quite a bit of dps.

aux

Quote Originally Posted by seear View Post
    Main Macro:
    #show Vile Spores
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Radiant Spores
    cast Ruin
    cast Natural Conversion
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Vile Spores
    Use suppressmacrofailures all you want, I'm still going to point out that this macro is a massive fail.

Anyway.

I tried playing Archon once. 2 minutes later I got asked to switch to DPS, because we were moving so slow. And I agreed. Switched to Stormcaller, and nearly doubled the group's DPS.
    I'm so BORED

Soulwalker

archon is only usefull in a 20man raid... (don't know if a 10man need it.. but if we want be good... ok 10+)

I find it works great for me, yes i don't do a lot of healing, but a little bit helps.

If you were asked to switch to dps then you did it wrong, because as i said i pull around 500 dps, which as far as i can see isn't much more then some dps pull. lol. Not to mention, Archon Buffs, Healing, Tanking, and Damage. so even though you might do lets say 800 dps. You are increasing the damage the tank takes, as well as helping Healers and DMG. No this spec might not be the best, i have only started playing around with it recently, i use chloro offspec because it allows me to heal if something happened to the healer.

In a raid environment no i prob would not use the Chloro off spec because the little bit i would bring wouldn't be enough. As for my DPS, i am barley entering T2 Gear, so i imagine my numbers would be rather low.

I started tinkering with Chloromancer because of the 25% Int increase along with the Leeching Flames. I didn't find the increase to be amazing, But at least i tried it.

Thank you for the feedback, but for those who just troll and say it sucks. Why, all you tell me is it fails, i get compliments all the time about my Archon, people love seeing an actually Support instead of queing as support and telling the group, 'oh hey, im going to dps'.
    Seear
    50 Chloromancer

The Cycle of life continues. We will live, they will die." -Nasus, Curator of the Sands

Quote Originally Posted by Atomico View Post
    archon is only usefull in a 20man raid... (don't know if a 10man need it.. but if we want be good... ok 10+)
    Archon is doable in 10 mans, but it's a stretch. It did come in handy for me on the Uruuluk fight just because I happen to have 10 pts in dom in my archon spec and could spell reflect.

I figure that's about the breakeven point for rolling with an archon; it scales up nicely past that.

Prophet of Telara

Any reasonable attempt at a 51archon/15chloro should have a macro that looks like this:

#show Vile Spores
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Vile Spores

Open with a life based spell, and then macro spam. It's a pretty fail build.

aux

I find it works great for me, yes i don't do a lot of healing, but a little bit helps.

If you were asked to switch to dps then you did it wrong, because as i said i pull around 500 dps, which as far as i can see isn't much more then some dps pull. lol.
    I pull higher than that on my Archon, easily. Partially because I'm not trying to use crappy heals, but that's beside the point. Point is I do that much DPS on my Stormcaller too, except it's on 5+ mobs at the same time instead of just one. If your Archon build outperforms your DPS builds then your DPS builds suck, and they suck bad. I wish it were otherwise as I enjoy playing support classes but unfortunately that's how it is.

If you must play a healing Archon though, then Kazzin's macro is much better. Radiant Spores, Ruin, and especially Natural Conversion should never be in a spam macro, and he even got the buff order right.
    I'm so BORED

Again, new to it, and trying stuff out. as for why life based spell first, because of the 25% increase to Int.
    Seear
    50 Chloromancer

Plane Touched

My archon build is 51 archon/ 5 chloro/ 10 dom.
    the 5 chloro is for the 25% int boost after casting Radiant spores. and 10 dom gives spell reflect/ deny/ +10 int. I can keep radiant spores up if something happens to the chloro and boosting int by 25% before casting mental flare gives it a nice boost in mana restored.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Rift Chaser

I have a couple of archon builds. One is a 51 archon/10 ele/5 lock, for the 10% mitigation. This helps on fights where there is heavy raid damage as the archon is usually the squishiest member of the group.

The other one is 51 archon/10 dominator/5 lock, for the toolbox which dominator gives. I have 5 warlock points in both builds for the charge generation, to increase the uptime of power drain. When I got my Martyr's Soulstone, I added consuming flames to my archon macro, just below leeching flames.

The reason you don't see Archons is probably because you don't raid. The dps you lose by going archon in a 5 man isn't worth the dps everyone else gets, wheras it is in a 10 man or 20 man.

Champion

so heres a question, for raid rifts and 10 mans i like to use a pyro/archon split build. it seems to do alot more dps than a straight archon would (only 12% lower than pyro/ele for me)

it still gives the raid:
    the 4 main auras
    flaring power
    power drain/waning power/crumbling/ashen defence
    volcanic bomb/earthen barage damage boosts

you DONT get, surging flare, lingering dust, burning purpose.

think this is an acceptable build for raid rifts/GP?
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

Prophet of Telara

Again, new to it, and trying stuff out. as for why life based spell first, because of the 25% increase to Int.
    The first spell in the macro will always follow vile spores, so the 25% increase will be up, except for the first rotation. This is why I said open with a life based spell, and macro spam thereafter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast