+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PvE Fire Mage - A Quick Open Letter to Trion

Rift Chaser

Default PvE Fire Mage - A Quick Open Letter to Trion

Dear Trion,

I love playing a fire mage. Please buff their Player-versus-Environment damage so that they are viable in 5man dungeons and raids at endgame. There are many mages like myself who love hurling large flaming balls of destruction at our enemies, and would love to do this at the highest level this game has to offer. And please make this damage dealing viable without forcing me to stand in a grounding spell. Also, I'd really appreciate it if you let me have my 9% health back from the burning bright talent.

Thank you for your consideration,

Pyro

I do fairly decent damage as a pryo. Usually top two for my guild. But for 9% health, I need to be doing that much higher than anyone else. If it's a trade off, more squishy for more deeps, they need to make the trade-off more worthwhile. I'd be more than happy if they just did away with the health reduction and left the damage where it was.

Pyro is fine L2P
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Quote Originally Posted by Pendu View Post
    Pyro is fine L2P
    Im pretty sure 80% of mages who are progressing through GSB (they havent farmed it for 9 weeks and dont have full t3) can not afford to lose 9% health during Hylas. Pyro is also at a disadvantage for Johlen and LGS due to the requirements of not moving and the chance of being damaged.

Mages are supposed to be Glass cannons (though most warriors/rogues will beat their DPS) and already have low HP and no armor or mitigation. reducing their health by another 9% is uneeded.

Pyro's damage is also not as good as Necrolock or stormcaster builds, so there is no reason to play it unless your OK with doing less dps, having to stand still as much as possible, and having lower health.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffonHawke View Post
    Im pretty sure 80% of mages who are progressing through GSB (they havent farmed it for 9 weeks and dont have full t3) can not afford to lose 9% health during Hylas. Pyro is also at a disadvantage for Johlen and LGS due to the requirements of not moving and the chance of being damaged.

Mages are supposed to be Glass cannons (though most warriors/rogues will beat their DPS) and already have low HP and no armor or mitigation. reducing their health by another 9% is uneeded.

Pyro's damage is also not as good as Necrolock or stormcaster builds, so there is no reason to play it unless your OK with doing less dps, having to stand still as much as possible, and having lower health.
    This is a common misconception by people who don't know what they're talking about, Pyro/Ele offers great dps, on par if not above necrolock/sc builds, including aoe. you are less mobile than stormcaller, but for most if not all encounters in the game atm the movement is a non-issue. as for the negative health modifier, I agree it's stupid it's in the soul, but you have 2 shields at your disposal and you take 10% less damage due to speccing elementalist. I have mostly T2 gear and I'm competitive with near BiS people that play all kinds of classes and specs

It's propably the easiest to go with a 38 lock 28 necro spec when you start to raid, but to talk in such a negative way about Pyro/Ele is absurd
    Last edited by Pendu; 07-10-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pendu View Post
    but for most if not all encounters in the game atm the movement is a non-issue
    Oo

Johlen
    Hylas
    Greenscale
    Herauld
    Alsbeth
    Guurloth
    Uruluuk

on all these bosses u will lose dmg cause of movement

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellchen View Post
    Oo

Johlen
    Hylas
    Greenscale
    Herauld
    Alsbeth
    Guurloth
    Uruluuk

I think hes still running normal CC and AP

Oo

Johlen
    Hylas
    Greenscale
    Herauld
    Alsbeth
    Guurloth
    Uruluuk

Johlen doesn't throw bombs in the bomb phases, the only time high DPS matters. Flicker is also invaluable in the final phase, depending on your strategy.

Flicker will allow you to escape the Cocktail easily, which is the biggest DPS hit you can take in that fight. Other then the occasional bomb movement is minimal.

For Greenscale, Herald, and Alsbeth you should always be SC/Ele (unless you are a focusing the boss on Herald).

Pyro is incredible for Guurloth (He is the crystal guy right?) because Fireball is a 2 second cast and the crystals give you casting speed. Flicker allows you to get to a pillar faster which overall reduces your movement time.

I pretty consistently switch between Pyro/Ele and SC/Ele depending on the fight. Pyro/Ele is a great spec for mages.
    That being said it could use a lot of tweaks. Withering Flames, Countdown, etc.
    Last edited by bluedot; 07-10-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Pyro is incredible for Guurloth (He is the crystal guy right?) because Fireball is a 2 second cast and the crystals give you casting speed. Flicker allows you to get to a pillar faster which overall reduces your movement time.
    Guurloth is the tornado guy, Uruluuk the one with the crystalls
    i never noticed they give u cast speed

for me the problem is ground of power, i hate it, as it makes u so immoveable and will double every dps loss u get cause of movement, if they fix this and with the new synergy crystall i think pyro will be awesome

and the spotters order profit that pyro gets is quite low
    Last edited by Rebellchen; 07-10-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Oo

Johlen
    Hylas
    Greenscale
    Herauld
    Alsbeth
    Guurloth
    Uruluuk

You make it sound like as if the other dps specs don't lose damage because of movement.

While you do lose dps from moving as Pyro/Ele, you're capable of doing enough to make up for it. On some encounters you can't always see who did the most -useful- dps, Johlen being a perfect example where Pyro/Ele's controlled burst helps immensely on the bomb-phases. On Plutonus you can Flicker past the field at 30% and you have insane burst ready when he hits 10%. On Alsbeth you get great damage on her when she's down while your aoe is still great, you're actually more mobile than the other specs are here! On Hylas I'm always the first to start burning down the bubble after the rabbit-chase and prolly doing the most damage to it due to cooldowns. On Uruluuk you have burst when he's weakened and in the burnphase and you have Flicker for mobility. Guurloth you lose some dps on, but only when having to jump or run and the other specs lose damage from that as well. On Herald you lose some, but no big deal.

Tonight on our Alsbeth kill I was second on damage done, not counting the bomb-carriers in the last phase. 1st and 3rd spots were sc/ele mages who outgear me by quite a bit, I did my part of running around and going to most of the gather-spots due to Flicker. Firestorm scales really well.

The spec is just completely different compared to SC/Ele or Nec/Lock and those 2 differ quite a bit from eachother, you need to figure out how to work with the negatives and the positives.. And if the spec for some reason is unplayable on a particular fight, or where a different spec blows it out of the water, you have access to 4 more souls. I haven't found a fight (in current raids) yet where I thought I'd be better off playing a different spec, where as Nec/Lock or SC/Ele, which are great specs, I've wished I was Pyro/Ele a couple of times. Because I do like to be familliar with all the souls we have in our arsenal

There i wasted 10 min of my life typing that

Rift Chaser

They refuse to allow us to be able to pull good numbers without the hassle of a pet or the hassle of standing in some dumb tiny circle, Im not sure why, they both reduce the fun of playing a mage by a large margin. You would think with all the other exciting games on the horizon Trion would be trying to make there classes fun to play, very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Combustion View Post
    They refuse to allow us to be able to pull good numbers without the hassle of a pet or the hassle of standing in some dumb tiny circle, Im not sure why, they both reduce the fun of playing a mage by a large margin. You would think with all the other exciting games on the horizon Trion would be trying to make there classes fun to play, very confusing.
    Fun is a very difficult thing to define. If you are playing a single player game and you use cheat codes it will be fun for a few minutes, but quickly become boring as you lose interest and are no longer immersed in the game. Without the cheat codes there are times when a game can be very frustrating. A good game will frustrate you and then reward you just before the frustration ruins the fun.

A good MMO needs to have the same type of thing going for it. If everything in the game was incredibly easy it would become very boring very quickly. Or if one particular class was significantly more powerful then another it would become frustrating to the other classes.

The goal is then to create a world were individuals are challenged and frustrated but then rewarded. Things like pets and "tiny little circles" are challenges. They may be frustrating but when you learn them and master them you are rewarded.
    Unfortunately people are unique and from a business standpoint you can only ever hope to please the majority. You will always have people who are get frustrated long before other people, and on the other end of the bell curve you will always have people who put up with far more frustration then most.

The point is, it shouldn't be confusing to you when you come across game mechanics that challenge you, it should be expected. You should also expect a lot of people to disagree with you because we all have a very different breaking points of frustration and many of us still see the "hassles" as part of the fun.
    Last edited by bluedot; 07-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Is having to do hard rotations just to get less dps than lesser-geared rogues and warriors a Game Mechanic made to challange us?

Quote Originally Posted by GriffonHawke View Post
    Is having to do hard rotations just to get less dps than lesser-geared rogues and warriors a Game Mechanic made to challange us?
    Screenshots please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast