+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage healing tank issues

Soulwalker

Default Mage healing tank issues

Hey all,

I know this sort of thread has been posted like a billion times, but I think I might be doing something wrong here and was hoping yall could help me out.

I'm a lvl 38 chlor, necro, arch and my build so far is:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwRz.xkcd.AdIuoiczoR

I recently tried solo healing on ruinic descent with a group, of lvl 40-42's with the tank being a lvl 42 and it ended up being an epic fail. What I was doing was the following:
    1. placed sythesis on tank
    2. waited for the tank to take aggro
    3. radiant spores (and kept it up)
    4. followed it up with vile spores, nature's touch, and ruin

I didn't have problems with mana, but usually within a couple of secs of the tank attacking, I would have to use a direct heal like bloom. Soon after, cooddown time would catch up, and everyone would be dead.

Is there something I should know about here? Any advice you guys could lend would be super awesome.

Shadowlander

If you control your pet, you can stick radiant spores on before the pull, and save a GCD on the pull.

I'm not a fan of Necro with Chloro for PVE, only because the synergy's not there. Ele would make a better pet soul, because of the spell crit increase and damage reduction talents. Lock and dom also make good second souls, as you can get the main benefit for each at your level (opportunity and +int bonus)

Make sure that you have your level's worth of points in chloro. Living infusion's a *****, and you really need to max out your chloro points to heal groups.

Don't wait for aggro if you have a decent tank. By all means, let him pull, but you don't need the notional 5 second wait to put you behind on healing. If you're still worried about aggro, use Nature's Touch for your first casted heal. The 2.5 seconds should help give some time for the tank to control the mob, and still have a powerful enough heal to not get behind.

Rift Disciple

The mobs are level 40 in RD aren't they? The potential for misses from that wouldn't have helped. However it is also quite possible that your tank was just bad e.g. on my lowbie cleric I've encountered a tank in RD with half his soul points at least in a dps tree.

Soulwalker

I'm sure I'm not understanding something here, because I'm so new at this, but wouldn't dps help the tank with radiant spores?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tonomi View Post
    If you control your pet, you can stick radiant spores on before the pull, and save a GCD on the pull.

I'm not a fan of Necro with Chloro for PVE, only because the synergy's not there. Ele would make a better pet soul, because of the spell crit increase and damage reduction talents. Lock and dom also make good second souls, as you can get the main benefit for each at your level (opportunity and +int bonus)

Make sure that you have your level's worth of points in chloro. Living infusion's a *****, and you really need to max out your chloro points to heal groups.

Don't wait for aggro if you have a decent tank. By all means, let him pull, but you don't need the notional 5 second wait to put you behind on healing. If you're still worried about aggro, use Nature's Touch for your first casted heal. The 2.5 seconds should help give some time for the tank to control the mob, and still have a powerful enough heal to not get behind.
    For a pet, I have skeletal salwart, which is a lvl 30. Poor guy doesn't last long against 40 dungie critters :'(
    Last edited by koshkah; 07-09-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Shadowlander

Not sure I catch what you mean here. Most DPS won't go far enough into Chloro to make their Radiant Spores more powerful that yours. Also, Radiant Spores only works for the person who procs it. Tank hits the mob, tank gets the heal. DPS hits the mob, DPS gets the heal. At best, Radiant Spores is a buffer that can give you a little slack in healing, but 16% change to proc isn't that reliable.

What I did not make clear in my earlier post is that Radiant Spores has no aggro when cast.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tonomi View Post
    Not sure I catch what you mean here. Most DPS won't go far enough into Chloro to make their Radiant Spores more powerful that yours. Also, Radiant Spores only works for the person who procs it. Tank hits the mob, tank gets the heal. DPS hits the mob, DPS gets the heal. At best, Radiant Spores is a buffer that can give you a little slack in healing, but 16% change to proc isn't that reliable.

What I did not make clear in my earlier post is that Radiant Spores has no aggro when cast.
    The mobs are level 40 in RD aren't they? The potential for misses from that wouldn't have helped. However it is also quite possible that your tank was just bad e.g. on my lowbie cleric I've encountered a tank in RD with half his soul points at least in a dps tree.
    Good to know about about the aggro, thanks.

Again, maybe I am confused but I think you missed what I was talking about...I was referring to the post above who was talking about tanks who have many DPS points.
    Last edited by koshkah; 07-09-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by koshkah View Post

Again, maybe I am confused but I think you missed what I was talking about...I was referring to the post above who was talking about tanks who have many DPS points.
    So you are confused as to how you might have difficulty healing a tank that isn't really a tank?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by koshkah View Post

That extra DPS is really only helpful if the tank has enough defence to not die ;)

The tanks job is to not take damage first and foremost, spores only heal a fraction of HP so if your tank is taking a lot of damage spores won't do anything to keep him up. Besides it's also a Chance of a heal only, it's not guaranteed.

I'd go for something more like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....VdIuqVczoR.xb (note that I changed points in your chloro build too). If you're curious my final mage healer build is this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....EdIuqAIkRR.xL.

Dont bother getting your pet out, it's pretty useless but you do pick up a handy shield, an armour buff and a few other skills in elementalist that are handy. Warlock gives you heaps of charge and the chance of insta cast skills which is great.

My basic rotation is basically Radiant Spores, every DoT I have and if I can stand on the tank, Corrosion. This gives off a lot of passive healing when you're with more than one mob. Then it's a case of suck it and see if you can just DPS on or need to heal. But then I do usually heal a good tank.

+ Reply to Thread