+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mage DPS. What the heck am i doing wrong?

Soulwalker

Default Mage DPS. What the heck am i doing wrong?

Is there any mage out there that isn't completely raid geared out that can parse close to 1000 sustained without blowing cool downs.. or close to it.. on the target dummies.
    I have 940 SP and 725 crit + or - 5-10% depending on spec. and can barely pass 600 dps non cool downs.

I've tried every spec i have read on these forums and nothing seems to be working. I'm not an idiot, I know how to game and my internet is fine. The best i can figure is that i just screw up a rotaion or somethign. I want Pyro to work. but ive tried Pyro/Lock and Pyro/Elem and they both only seem to reach me aroudn 600-650 ish. The stupid Zoomancer is the only one i get good numbers with after i throw out all 11 pets. -.-

Telaran

Yeah same here. I use http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kVVx.xtfzVzkzM and play almost perfectly with it. Never saw a mage beat me on a boss in t2 yet. Havent been in raids so far. I saw maximum of 971 dps on solo dps and I ussually do around 750-800 while I saw some warriors can do 1100 with much worse gear then mine. I got 864 sp and almost 700 crit with around 250 focus. Thats pretty sad

Rift Master

I think I have about the same sp - I do have a raid staff but come a few patches it will just be another piece of junk lol

I want to say my fireballs were in the 1300 crit range - even spamming those you get 600dps, add in a pet for 50-100dps and ya you hover in the 700 range. Doesn't seem like you are horribly off.

If you want a spammable spec there is always archon with burning purpose - since its 51pts it leaves little else to adjust - you are down to only 15 pts to spend elsewhere. You can spam pillaging stone and not even do anything else and pull a respectable over 500 and still bring group buffs. Boring true but easy and doesn't require standing in the ground skills.
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-08-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Telaran

My stats are almost identical to yours OP, and I parse around 960 on the dummies self-buffed as Pyro/ele.

It's probably a l2p issue, but I don't mean that as an insult. The way in which I play pyro is extremely complicated - I use around 10 buttons.
    What you're probably screwing up on is proper charge management. It's much more efficient to toggle your charge off/on in the GCD between instants, and not just leave it on for extended periods. Also remember that Burning Ground, when cast quickly and efficiently, is your highest dps spell behind Cinderburst, even for single target.

Oh, and if you didn't know, heatwave resets the cooldown on intensify elements, so if you're using heatwave first - don't.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aarpia View Post
    My stats are almost identical to yours OP, and I parse around 960 on the dummies self-buffed as Pyro/ele.

It's probably a l2p issue, but I don't mean that as an insult. The way in which I play pyro is extremely complicated - I use around 10 buttons.
    What you're probably screwing up on is proper charge management. It's much more efficient to toggle your charge off/on in the GCD between instants, and not just leave it on for extended periods. Also remember that Burning Ground, when cast quickly and efficiently, is your highest dps spell behind Cinderburst, even for single target.

Oh, and if you didn't know, heatwave resets the cooldown on intensify elements, so if you're using heatwave first - don't.
    they said no cds - i think they meant charge too - im thinking pre charge abilities

Rift Disciple

Question

You should be parsing with anything that you can use by yourself with the exception of exposure since archons do that for you.

With that said, you most likely just don't really have the stats to reach 1k dps. That is not to say, however, that there is no improvement to be had. 600 is probably at the low end for what you could be achieving with any of the specs you might see on the mage forums. The absolute easiest spec in the history of mankind for mages is pyro/ele.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zxo.Vtcz0xoAzz

I've been testing out not using Cinderburst as I am not really seeing a difference in my parses so...

#show fireball
    cast inferno
    cast flame bolt
    cast fireball
    petattack

You just spam that the entire time toggling internalize charge as needed and while sitting in a ground of power.

Make sure you are taking full advantage of (intensify elements > heatwave) > intensify elements.

This is as easy as you are going to get as far as mage specs;

For comparison(my parses):

pyro/ele(spec above): ~960
    Sc/ele(non BS): ~1000
    necro/lock(lich form): ~1050
    necro/dom(gimmicky): ~1200
    Archon!: ~700

aux

You can always use less accurate parsers, or, post your peak DPS instead of sustained.
    600-650 sustained is pretty normal at that gear level.
    I'm so BORED

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by sivlin View Post

#show fireball
    cast inferno
    cast flame bolt
    cast fireball
    petattack

You just spam that the entire time toggling internalize charge as needed and while sitting in a ground of power.

DO NOT USE THIS MACRO.
    If the enemy is above 30% hp, it has to send a request to the server before it will cast inferno. This creates a delay every time you try to cast that macro, which will lower your DPS considerably.

Prophet of Telara

No one parses anything without using cooldowns.

Telaran

Just to add if you're parsing without cooldowns, you're missing a colossal chunk of DPS, since Pyro gets 3 cooldowns, 2 of which can be used together for massive burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedriel View Post
    Mage DPS. What the heck am i doing wrong?
    You're putting the acronym DPS in the same sentence with the word Mage... those 2 don't go together anymore. Mages are now healing/buff bots... leave the DPS to the real classes please.

Plane Touched

Solution:

1) Roll anything else than mage
    2) Make 2 macros
    3) Hit following keys: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-*variation*-1-1-1-2-2-2-1-1-1-2-2-2-*variation*-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1
    4) Your mob should be dead, and you should have 1500-1800 dps.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Myso View Post
    Solution:

1) Roll anything else than mage
    2) Make 2 macros
    3) Hit following keys: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-*variation*-1-1-1-2-2-2-1-1-1-2-2-2-*variation*-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1
    4) Your mob should be dead, and you should have 1500-1800 dps.

You're welcome.
    You sir must work for Trion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedriel View Post
    Mage DPS. What the heck am I doing wrong?
    #1 problem...

you rolled a mage.

that's the main problem atm =)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Aarpia View Post
    DO NOT USE THIS MACRO.
    If the enemy is above 30% hp, it has to send a request to the server before it will cast inferno. This creates a delay every time you try to cast that macro, which will lower your DPS considerably.
    No noticeable dps loss or decreased casting time. I did some extensive testing to see if there was any accuracy to statements such a this and nothing came of it. I get the same dps with inferno in the macro as without. But, do whatever you want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast