+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolled a mage, now I'm considering quitting Rift

Soulwalker

Default Rolled a mage, now I'm considering quitting Rift

What is Trion thinking?

In every RPG/MMO I've ever played, mages are a high end DPS class with terrible armor (as far as survivability is concerned). Sometimes they have a little utility or there are specialty crowd control who can really enhance a group.

Like I expected, we have the worst armor and cannot tank. I found out that we are also utterly gimped when it comes to utility compared to every possible soul combo for clerics/rogues/warriors. I don't think I have to tell other mages how completely terrible our utility is, but I guess Trion has over-looked this.

So that would have to mean that we are by far the best DPS class right? Right Trion? Nope. Rouges kill us in DPS in both PVP and PVE. Warriors beat us by a decent margin as well. Some cleric specs can also beat us.

So lets see:

Third "best" DPS, at best: Check. Giving Trion a break here though, as clerics can also pretty much DPS just as well as us if not better.

Worst armor by far: Check

Worst utility by far: Check

What are we good for? I would love to see a developer come in here and tell me that. Who cares about AOE DPS/Heals? They're useful in maybe 2-3% of non-solo encounters?

I really don't want to grind another char up and re-do 10,000 quests that I've just completed.

And is it just me, or is the equipment more geared towards the other three classes too?

Thank god I played the trial and only payed 4.99 for the game. Although I did the 3 month payment plan, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens before the next pay period comes up. Hopefully the other classes get nerfed or we get buffed in that time period. If not, I'll just wait for Tera to come out.
    Last edited by Jakranka; 07-13-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Removed link to other gaming site

QQ more please. Go spec Dom/cholor and theres your utility,CC and owanage in pvp. L2P carebear.
    Deepstrike,were the real men PvP.

Soulwalker

Yeah... AOE heals and PVP crowd control. I play on a PVE server so this post really has to do with PVE and not PVP. I like my character in PVP.

AOE heals can be nice in raids.... but who rolls a mage to heal? I certainly did not when I started my character. And we aren't anywhere close to being essential in raids, in fact we are fairly close to being a replaceable class.

How could it possibly be that our best DPS spec can be beat easily by warriors and rouges and also a skilled cleric?

Mages = DPS. Period.

Hi there, I'm Kharde. I rolled my mage to heal (Chloro) and support (Archon).

Just wanted to poke a hole in that arguement.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kharde View Post

I'm willing to bet that you're in the minority.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeden View Post
    I'm willing to bet that you're in the minority.
    yah he's probrobly happy he gets to be one of the two mages that gets to go on the raids.

I happen to think that Archon is very fun to play... and as far as support goes, excellently balanced. BUT... I also think it needs some escape added into it.

That's just me.

Chloro, however, needs an adjustment. They lowered our healing, and lowered some our damage. WTF.
    Realm? Asphodel.
    Name? Krillian. Mage.
    Bring it.

Rift Disciple

So great to have a guild that does not give a **** if a class is a few dps behind another class, we still kill all the bosses

I was in a group doing IT tonight. One Cleric was tanking, 3 were DPSing, and I was healing as a Chloro...LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trion WAKE UP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*crickets*

Lol at the OP, go then quit the game see how much we will miss you...

Mages are fine, learn to play your class, Dominator is massivley overpowered at the moment with chlorolock out hpsing clerics while doing good dps.

QQ MAGES ARE BROKEN QQ
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Rift Disciple

Default he has a point

Mage no longer has any burst damage like warriors and rogues. We aren't good at "killing things" in pvp/pve in general. It is a shame because warriors and rogues cried so much on forums and now people (including myself) no long are inclined to play.

ITZ

Idk about you guys, but i personally LOVE my pyro right now. I have very high burst damage and I do just fine on dps...

Try looking into changing around your spec, maybe that should help!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kharde View Post

Hey, me too! Archon is one of the more entertaining souls in this game.

Mages are still broken... many will quit after 1.4 if we are not fixed.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ssinjin View Post
    yah he's probrobly happy he gets to be one of the two mages that gets to go on the raids.
    I wish this wasn't a joke. On progression content we take 2 mages (1 archon, 1 chloro), and 5-7 of each other class. We have around 7 mages at 50 and almost all have t2 or better gear. Last GSB run we had 5 mages twiddling their thumbs in reserve and 0 of the other classes - they were all raiding.

Combined with the 3-button warrior/rogue DPS specs that consistently pull 10-20% more DPS than our best SC/ele mage (who has to pull off a 13 spell rotation to still be behind), I just don't understand WTF Trion balancing people are doing... It's hard for me not to simply conclude they are incompetent.
    Last edited by Ashenne; 07-09-2011 at 06:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast