+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planar Focus options for PvP

Telaran

Default Planar Focus options for PvP

With the new valor planar focus available from the pvp daily faction it now makes a lot of sense to build a pvp specific focus. I'm wondering what you all think with respect to stat prioritization for this purpose.

There are three lesser essences available that give valor:

1. 14 int 11 end 15 spell crit 25 valor
    2. 14 int 10 wis 8 spell power 25 valor
    3. 14 int 10 end 25 valor

The last is pretty obviously worse than the first two. Beyond that, there are several reasonable lessers that are bought off the element vendors which feature stats that you wouldn't normally go for on a pve lens:

1. Maelow's Stem: 11 int 15 wis 23 end
    2. Muddy Crystal: 21 wis 14 end 12 spell power
    3. Balmy Winds: 20 int 13 wis 17 end
    4. Flood Waters: 14 wis 23 end 12 dodge

Again the first three seem somewhat better than the third. The theme here is that they all sacrifice a little dps stat for endurance.

Compared to my pve focus, equipping a focus with the three valor essences, Maelow's Stem, Muddy Crystal, and Balmy Winds would result in the following stat changes:

-35 int
    -19 wis
    -47 spell power
    +15 spell crit
    +75 endurance
    +75 valor

Or translated into raw values:

-74 spell power
    -20 spell crit
    +75 endurance
    +75 valor

Do you all think this is a reasonable tradeoff for PVP? Or is sticking with pure DPS essences a better choice? Or is there some optimal middle ground? I could easily see cutting the third valor essence for a DPS essence (presumably Pyro Spark).

For reference, here's the stat change with Pyro Spark instead of the third valor essence:

-50 spell power
    -16 spell crit
    +65 endurance
    +50 valor
    Last edited by swarmofseals; 07-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Prophet of Telara

I use the first 3 of each. Although you suggest that the third valor lesser is worse than the one giving sp, and I beg to differ.

Telaran

Have you found the increased survivability to be worth it given the loss of dps?

Prophet of Telara

Either your fireballs are going to hit for 400, or 425. So who cares?

Rift Chaser

a dead mage does no DPS. ofc the tradeoff is worth it.

Rift Master

Unless valor has diminishing returns you can use the values I have.
    I bought all the valor essences and put them in that valor source for 125 extra valor.
    With it off I'm at 19.3%
    With if on I'm at 24.3%
    That means a 5% mitigation.
    As good as 5 pts spent in archmage and you get the magical part.
    Not as good as pts spent in elementalist for 2-10% dmg reduction but that would take 8pts(5 to get there and 3 spent for 6%) and an entire soul.
    You could be using archmage in a pvp build but no guarantee on elementalist.

Mitigation is about attitude sometimes too - if you notice someone attacking you that you can trump - don't run and act scared, it only motivates them to chase when they see a weakness. I have been known to let someone beat on me and heal thru it just to watch them run off to another person. You can only do that w/lots of health and decent healing built in - neither of which are dmg. The point is that they will avoid me sometimes in the future thinking I'm unkillable even though I burned every cd to look that way lol
    Last edited by Fernt; 07-09-2011 at 12:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread