+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mage 1.3 PvP Chlorolock Guide with Video.

Default Mage 1.3 PvP Chlorolock Guide with Video.

For the Latest version see:

http://bluedots.org/2011/07/08/1-3-pvp-chlorolock/

Due to the forum posting rules the infomation below may be out of date and there are no pictures/embedded video.

PvP Chlorolock 1.3

The Chlorolock In Player vs Player combat is a very tough and deadly opponent. Able to heal themselves and their allies while destroying all who oppose them.

There are 3 important reasons behind this build for PvP:

Survivability. Dead healers can’t heal. With the amount of burst DPS available in PvP being able to survive 1 or 2 players attacking you can make the difference between your team winning or loosing.

Healing. Good healers in PvP are probably the most valued of any class and the most rarely seen outside of premades. Being able to heal for around 10k in one instant cast is very powerful in PvP.

Damage. I find PvP most fun when I am able to kill players. In this spec you can pull some serious AOE DPS with some reasonable single target damage also.

Please note that this is not the most offensive warlock spec out there, this is designed to be a strong healer for PvP.

Demo Video

I thought it would be a nice idea to show this spec in action with the guide, the rotation in the video is not perfect but it gives a good demonstration of just how strong this spec can be.

As you can see this spec is quite capable of taking multiple players damage and surviving as well as keeping the group alive and stealing the occasional killing blow, at the end of the warfront I was top damage done and healed.

Setup for playing this spec:

Link to ZAM Soul Builder.

The Chloromancer Soul (32pts):

Tier 1, Max Int and Life damage pretty straight forward, more damage = more heals.
    Tier 2, Bloom, Flourish and Lifegiving Veil are critical to this build and the DOT damage gives an additional heal from Lifegiving Veil.
    Tier 3, The question here is if you take Radiant Spores or not, it can be quite nice in PvP but I find the healing too inconsistent and it does no DPS.
    Tier 4, More health and more healing on your direct heal abilities.
    Tier 5, None. (Some argument for Living Shell here but its no great loss)
    Tier 6, Wild Growth and Natures Fury, these are vital for the build and you will be using them constantly!
    Tier 7, This heal when Combined with Shadow Life can full heal pretty much anyone!

The Warlock Soul (29pts):

Tier 1, +25% Charge gained. Very useful as Mortality, Wild Growth and Entropic Veil all use charge.
    Tier 2, Opportunity, Used properly you can get instant cast Natures Fury or Wild Growth while moving.
    Tier 3, +8% Health and Draining Bolt. Extra health is always welcome and a nice self heal.
    Tier 4, 5% Critical chance Extra Crit is standard for most warlock specs, more damage ftw.
    Tier 5, +10% damage and Shadow Life. Shadow Life is one of our best survivability skills and extra damage for all abilities is great.
    Tier 6, Warlock Armour. +6% damage. There is the option here to put 3 points from the PvP soul Archmage loosing 9% player damage and gaining +4% spell damage and Neddra’s Essence (Tier 7) which is a nice survivability spell.

The Archmage soul (PvP) (5pts):

Tier 1, +15% Spell Damage vs players. More damage, more heals. Break Free is very useful also.

Macros:

Only one macro with this spec
    #show Nature's Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ruin
    cast Nature's Fury
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Dark Touch

The reasoning behind this macro is that Ruin is always worth casting, instant cast with a DOT that procs an extra heal for the group. Nature’s Fury you want to be using every time, as its good healing and damage. Vile spores is the healing filler and Dark Touch for when you are moving.

Spamming the macro while you are moving is great because you will dot them with Dark Touch and Ruin and both spells can proc Opportunity resulting in an instant cast Nature’s Fury.

Buffs

Lifegiving Veil - Passive Healing aura, make sure you have it active at all times!
    Warlock Armour - Passive +6% damage and damage reflect, very useful against rogues and DOT classes as each tick of the DOT will trigger a damage reflect.
    Entropic Veil - +19% damage toggle switch, drains charge whilst toggled on. Use before you pop large damage or whenever you have 80+ charge.
    Sacrifice Life : Damage - Use whenever its off cooldown, does not stack with Entropic Veil.

Damaging Spells

Ruin - Instant cast single target spell with a DOT effect.
    Nature's Fury - Max 4 targets AOE, you want to be using this as soon as its off cooldown every time!
    Corrosion - AOE life damage, use before Casting Devouring Shadows on yourself for nice burst damage around you.
    Devouring Shadows - Ground target Death based AOE. This combined with Nature’s Fury are you main damaging spells.
    Mortality - Drains charge while casting. This is a large channelled AOE that heals you for the damage it does and can hit up to 5 players! Life saving heal when surrounded by enemies!

Healing Spells

Bloom - Instant cast single target heal, good to use anytime on anyone taking damage.
    Flourish - instant cast 10 target AOE heal, this is your big group heal. Use to counter AOE damage on the group.
    Essence surge - heals your target for 100% of your maximum health. This skill is one of the best heals in the game and used correctly can be quite overpowered!
    Shadow Life - large self heal and increases your maximum health by 50% for 20 seconds. Use when on 50% or less health for best effect but don’t be worried about popping it early!
    Wild Growth - AOE heal over time and +10% damage to all affected players. This skill is truly epic. Use whenever there’s 3v3 or higher numbers. The area is quite large but it targets it on where you are stood, so if your stood at range you may want to move in toward the melee’s.
    Natural Conversion - Instant cast debuff, used against casters this can produce big heals if lucky!

Rotation

At all points while using these rotations you should be looking to use Flourish and Bloom at appropriate times to keep your group alive! Also getting Wild Growth down early is a very good move!

Single Target Rotation:

This is very easy just spam the macro from range or if you are close range use Corrosion/Dark Touch and the macro.

Priority:
    Ruin > Nature’s Fury > Dark Touch > Vile Spores

Multiple Target Rotation:

The normal rotation is pretty simple, you should be using Ruin and Nature’s Fury as soon as you can every time, while maintaining Corrosion and spamming Devouring Shadows.

Priority:
    Ruin > Nature’s Fury > Corrosion > Devouring Shadows

Survivability

How and when you use your survivability skills can make such a huge difference in PvP and is often the difference between a good and bad player.

A few key skill combinations, Shadow life then Essence Surge. For me this can heal over 10,000 health, use on yourself or a warrior tanking their raid

Mortality is another life saving spell. While this spell is running on 3+ targets the only way they can really kill you is if they CC you first.

Besides these just remember to be using Bloom, Flourish and Wild Growth all the time and be aggressive with your position, you can take a beating in this spec so don’t worry about closing to melee range for Corrosion.

I hope you have enjoyed my guide, thanks for reading!

-Cane
    Last edited by Arcanas; 07-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Thanks for this. I've getting destroyed as 51 chloro / 10lock / 5 AM and was just making more of a 32/32 build to get some survivability back.

Not sure I've give up either the damage shield or neddra's essence though.

Rift Disciple

I am totally surprised at how effective this spec can be. I have never tried the chloror line and quite frankly its amazing and fits my play style very well. Nice work.........nice work indeed. It's about as good as my full warden spec and my play style for that. It has worked so well that imo I now fare much better against the higher R4-6 players except the rogues. tanks are still tough cause they just stun lock you all day but otherwise its an amazing spec. I did make a few changes to accomadate my style with the points but it is a ton of fun and I think I will enjoy this build for quite some time Thanks for taking the time and work as well as posting and sharing your setup with us. Kudos.

Plane Touched

I've played chloro / lock since I started PvPing. It's by far my favorite spec. The spec I run is a bit more offensive than this, but it lacks Essence Surge (and picks up Neddra's Essence).

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zR.xx0Ak0qxk.x

Is the build I use in PvP

I did not take synthesis because if I want to single target heal in pvp I'll switch to my 51 Chloromancer build. This is for AoE healing and AoE damage along with having very high survivability.

For AoE damage the basic "rotation" if you can ever have one of those in PvP is this.

Dark Touch > Neddra's Grasp > Radiate Death> Nature's Fury> Devouring Shadows

You will want to use your charge for Entropic veil before this setup starts, I do not know if using entropic veil after Dark touch> Neddra's Grasp but before Radiate death will provide the bonus to the AoE'd dots or not but I apply it at the very start anyway.

Furthermore, you can do even heavier burst AoE if you have a SP trinket such as the codex trinket, and use SLD prior to the setup.

Nature's fury is you main dps nuke, at 1k sp mine hits harder than my void bolt and it hits up to 4 targets. If you're doing only single target then use the time between CD's to dot the target with Dark Touch>withering vine>Radiant spores>Ruin. Or you can use the time to heal yourself with Bloom>Flourish>Draining Bolt.

For survivability you want Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life hotkeyed for quick use. When getting focused you always want to use neddra's essence first, then shadow life. If you have a lot of charge wait till you get cc'd with something, use Break free and then Mortality, you will usually get at least 2 or 3 ticks off. This is the only time you can really rely on mortality as it is generally interrupted asap.

If you are alone and being attacked by a melee cast wither on them, and if you are snared cast wild abandon on yourself. While running away hit them with dark touch>radiant spores> Ruin. If you think you can take them Stop and cast Withering vine and start opening up with Nature's Fury>Dots/heals>Nature's furty etc.

If you get attacked in a large battle do not fight your attacker, detaunt him and let your allies handle it. Spend your time healing yourself and dpsing another target for LGV procs.

If you see a geared dps player assist them for quick kills on priority targets.

Use SLM after a battle to restore mana, then Flourish and Bloom to restore lost health. Or drink.

I like some aspects of your build, such as not taking any points in Chloro Teir 5 (Living Shell and wild abondon+) I might move those 3 poitns down to +9% to bloom and flourish.

If you're doing an assist on a kill and need heavy burst do Void Bolt> Nature's Fury>Draining Bolt>Ruin. Nature's fury hits harder but has a lower cast time, the main objective of casting them in that order is to have all the damage land as close together as possible. Use Opportunity procs for Nature's Fury and then void bolt if natures fury is on CD when playing offensively and whither, fear, or wild growth when playing defensively.

I may have repeated some things the OP said, that's because most of this post was copy/pasted from a post I made in my guild forums.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by Argizeos; 07-08-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Rift Disciple

Yeah i modified my build just a tad but its pretty much the same as the OP. I did take NG though hehe. My only issue is I am only R2 so i need some more rank but like I stated it has changed my game play a lot and I kinda like the healing. Normally I stay away from healing classes except the dps cleric which I love but I have tried full warden and found it can be somewhat rewarding but this chloro lock is just so much fun. I will definitely keep checking the forums for updates and changes so please keep posting anything you might think is helpful.

Also I guess it's my fault on gear cause on all my 50's I have lvl'd them through WF. It's only an issue when i hit 50 though. Valor ftw. Still I love to pvp so much I just play smarter and move up the ranks. PVP gear seems to be just as good as the dungeon gear i guess. If you think different and think I need to do dungeons let me know. It's not my thing but I'll do it lol.

Thats the great thing with this spec, you can play it "as is" or you can fiddle with it to get exactly what you want.

Personally I prefer best Healer > Survivability > DPS for this build, but putting more into lock can move those around
    -Cane

Nice idea taking the dot damage and radiate death
    -Cane

Plane Touched

I play a very similar build and its become my favorite for group pvp, though it is also growing on me for solo.

The only major difference is that instead of 5 in archmage I put those points into lock to gain Neddra's, which I'm totally hooked on for most my builds, and go with Archon for Pillaging Stone and Burning Vitality. With this I usually buff to between 7.2-7.5k health and with P6 valor gear I can be a pain to take down. I've found when running this spec I'm usually surprised when I actually die in WFs and find myself always near the top in damage and healing.

Plane Walker

Another good chlorolock build is 44lock and at least 16 in chloro, can go rest in archmage or more in chloro as you see fit. Its more damage and tank based. I usually use it when we have enough healers on the team. It can throw out nice heals also while doing alot of dps. With the Bloom changes i speced into the Circle of life and use a mouseover macro for bloom to heal those around me when needed. Bloom can Crit for 3k+ so its a pretty nice heal with a decent CD imo.

Red face

I love your build!!!! ZOMG! ever since I switched to this I had nothing but the best pvp games evah!

Had to edit the Macro

#show Nature's Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Sacrifice Life: Damage
    cast Ruin
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Nature's Fury
    cast Corrosion
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Dark Touch

Corrosion is sooo sweet and never takes much charge SO yeah I keep it on all the time keeps stealth'd rouges at bay B-). *cry*

I love it! Just one button mash while running around is so good! Specially when the battle heats up I dont have to worry about trying to cast the right spell when I can button mash one macro *most* of the time! A+ man, A+!!!!!

May ditch the 1 point in Circle of Life to put it in Living Shell tonight see how it goes lol

Plane Touched

Added Corrosion into my macro rotation, I am loving that.

yeah I did think about that, but decided against it incase I get it running when im range pewpewing them
    -Cane

Plane Touched

Only had it in my macro for a day and its already brought several rogues out of stealth while I ranged blasted.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Argizeos View Post
    I've played chloro / lock since I started PvPing. It's by far my favorite spec. The spec I run is a bit more offensive than this, but it lacks Essence Surge (and picks up Neddra's Essence).

I did not take synthesis because if I want to single target heal in pvp I'll switch to my 51 Chloromancer build. This is for AoE healing and AoE damage along with having very high survivability.

For AoE damage the basic "rotation" if you can ever have one of those in PvP is this.

You will want to use your charge for Entropic veil before this setup starts, I do not know if using entropic veil after Dark touch> Neddra's Grasp but before Radiate death will provide the bonus to the AoE'd dots or not but I apply it at the very start anyway.

Furthermore, you can do even heavier burst AoE if you have a SP trinket such as the codex trinket, and use SLD prior to the setup.

Nature's fury is you main dps nuke, at 1k sp mine hits harder than my void bolt and it hits up to 4 targets. If you're doing only single target then use the time between CD's to dot the target with Dark Touch>withering vine>Radiant spores>Ruin. Or you can use the time to heal yourself with Bloom>Flourish>Draining Bolt.

For survivability you want Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life hotkeyed for quick use. When getting focused you always want to use neddra's essence first, then shadow life. If you have a lot of charge wait till you get cc'd with something, use Break free and then Mortality, you will usually get at least 2 or 3 ticks off. This is the only time you can really rely on mortality as it is generally interrupted asap.

If you are alone and being attacked by a melee cast wither on them, and if you are snared cast wild abandon on yourself. While running away hit them with dark touch>radiant spores> Ruin. If you think you can take them Stop and cast Withering vine and start opening up with Nature's Fury>Dots/heals>Nature's furty etc.

If you get attacked in a large battle do not fight your attacker, detaunt him and let your allies handle it. Spend your time healing yourself and dpsing another target for LGV procs.

Use SLM after a battle to restore mana, then Flourish and Bloom to restore lost health. Or drink.

I like some aspects of your build, such as not taking any points in Chloro Teir 5 (Living Shell and wild abondon+) I might move those 3 poitns down to +9% to bloom and flourish.

If you're doing an assist on a kill and need heavy burst do Void Bolt> Nature's Fury>Draining Bolt>Ruin. Nature's fury hits harder but has a lower cast time, the main objective of casting them in that order is to have all the damage land as close together as possible. Use Opportunity procs for Nature's Fury and then void bolt if natures fury is on CD when playing offensively and whither, fear, or wild growth when playing defensively.

I may have repeated some things the OP said, that's because most of this post was copy/pasted from a post I made in my guild forums.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Further altered my spec today, I took 3 points out of charge boost and put them into faster Void Bolt for better single target burst. I'm liking it so far and I don't seem starved for charge at all. In fact I don't even notice a difference. Which probably means I wasn't fully utilizing my charge before so I'll have to work on that.
    New spec.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0R.fx0Ak0qxk.x
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argizeos View Post

You actually have it right, OP build is wrong!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast