+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide: Leveling a Mage Without a Pet

Shadowlander

Default Guide: Leveling a Mage Without a Pet

First, a disclaimer. I am in no way implying that leveling a mage with a pet is inefficient or a bad playstyle. This is simply an effective build for those who wish to level efficiently, but don't enjoy playing a pet class.

The Build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...echezucuts.V0o

How to build while leveling:
    Start with Pyromancer. Get Archon 2nd. Get Chloromancer 3rd.

Dump max points in Pyromancer and secondary points into Archon until Level 16, then respec to this for Bloom:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRIz.xd.xc

Keep going down Pyromancer and dump 2 more into Chloromancer and Archon whenever you want for Livegiving Veil and Ashen Defense (Armor Buff, misleading from the tooltip but gives you an hour long armor buff). At level 38 you should look similar to this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....ec0e0uczz.V0o

Flush out Pyromancer after this. Even if the things you are grabbing are not amazing, you still get 1.2% fire damage per point from Burning Bright.

Why This Build is Awesome

This build combines the incredible single target burst dps of Pyromancer with the healing power of Chloromancer. When soloing, you want to be able to do as much dps as possible, preferably in the form of nukes not damage over time spells. This build offers huge single target dps, above average AOE dps, and above average survivability. It is an incredible solo build.

Spell Usage

Fireball is your bread and butter nuke.
    Flame Bolt should be used on cooldown to keep up a 10% fire damage increase buff.
    Cinder Burst should be used as an opener when available, and whenever Pyromancer's Armor procs.
    Inferno should be used when the enemy is under 30%.
    Firestorm is your bread and butter AOE.
    Backdraft is a nice compliment to Firestorm for AOE, especially if you need to throw some heals in.
    Smoldering Power should be used often to reduce all fire spells mana cost by 95%.
    Ground of Power is a nice spell for more damage, and also opens up a second damage shield, Burning Shield.

Searing Vitality has two uses. First it is a fire spell, so it actually does decent damage over time and is an instant cast spell with no cooldown. Use it to tag multiple mobs if you want to AOE them all down. Secondly it provides an endurance buff.
    Pillaging Stone is a mediocre nuke that should only be used often enough to keep iits INT/WIS buff up.
    Ashen Defense should be used once an hour to keep a nice armor buff on yourself.
    Consuming Flames is a damage shield, useful to cast before grabbing a pack to AOE or when soloing an elite.

Bloom is your bread and butter heal. It is extremely cheap and should be used whenever under 75% life. It also procs a 25% INT buff for 6 seconds, which increases spellpower and crit.
    Lifegiving Veil should be kept up at all times for small heals unless grouped with a Chloromancer.
    Ruin is a small heal + small damage instant cast spell, which also procs a 25% INT buff for 6 seconds, which increases spellpower and crit. Try to throw it in if you need to move somewhere.
    Flourish is a medium heal usable if Bloom is on cooldown. Try to avoid using it unless necessary as Bloom is much more efficient and powerful for soloing.

There are a couple other spells you will find uses for that are pretty self explanatory, but this list should explain the basics.

How to Melt Face

For 1 normal monster its pretty simple. Open with Cinder Burst or Fireball. Then Flame Bolt. Then Fireball until they are less than 30%. Then Finish with Inferno. After the fight try to cast Smoldering Power.

If you get low in life, toss a Bloom out to fill back up.

For AOEing its also pretty simple. Cast Consuming Flames. Tag 3-5 mobs with Searing Vitality. Once on you, cast Firestorm. Cast Backdraft. Cast Bloom. Cast Firestorm. They should be dead or close to it. After the fight try to cast Smoldering Power.

You have a lot of survivability with Ruin and Flourish when Bloom isn't enough, don't forget about those two spells.

Goodluck and hope this guide helps out those new leveling Mages who found Elementalist's and Necromancer's pet playstyle lacking.
    Last edited by Goodtank; 07-08-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Soulwalker

It gives life and burns... a VDmancer!

Shadowlander

hi

thank you for this guide. I been wanting to try a mage alt but didnt want to level as necro or ele as i tried once before and found them both very dull. Ill give this a try and post my results. Thanks again for your work

I've always been a strong supporter of chlorolock passed level 23 for AE pulling.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Prophet of Telara

Will give this a try 'cos pet pathing annoys me sometimes although I'm pretty scared not having Feign Death. It has saved me so many times on so many different occasions! I've even used it to complete group quests solo...
    Last edited by m1nus; 07-08-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    I've always been a strong supporter of chlorolock passed level 23 for AE pulling.
    I've found this build to be about equal to chlorolock for AOE grinding, and far superior for single target dpsing =)

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtank View Post
    I've found this build to be about equal to chlorolock for AOE grinding, and far superior for single target dpsing =)
    Chlorolock will pull ahead once you have about 30 points in lock, and can pick up Radiate Death.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    Chlorolock will pull ahead once you have about 30 points in lock, and can pick up Radiate Death.
    I don't doubt =) I'm aware (and have played) various pet builds and they all work good. I just like this build because I was tired of feeling pigeonholed into have a pet.

Default Help... leveling without a pet...

I'm torn between two different builds and would like some insight as to the pros and cons of each, possibly from others experience and or foresight.

First build is more or less focused on single target blow them up before they can hurt you much philosophy.
    I don't think it would fair well against a pull with adds. Though I guess dropping GoP all the time and having BS available would help that.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....ec0e0uczz.V0o

The second is more dot, dot bring'm in and let'm hit me and AoE them down.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...z.Axk00z.Exz0k

This build may turn out to be pretty lack luster after playing my Cleric and his amazing AoE build.

And I also have a question about Radiate Death
    Do you have to apply Dark Touch and Neddra's Grasp before or after you apply Radiate Death? It looks like after to me. Just checkin ;)

Ooops, Improved Ground of Power should have one more point in it

+ Reply to Thread