+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mages are fine in pvp

Default Mages are fine in pvp

If you aren't rank4+, you can't really talk about pvp in this state of the game. you're going to get trashed by a rank6 player if you aren't very good, and probably even if you are.

that being said, a mage played correctly is great in warfronts / open world,solo and group play.

ask prince, hnash, shinra, seether, devls, matill, etc from deepstrike. guardian and defiant sides, they are all very good and i'm sure they'd be happy to help anyone out.
    Frootloops. p40 warrior. Seastone. Forsaken. 11/11 hk 5/8 id
    Judgejudy. p28 mage. Seastone. Forsaken. chloro/dom pvp only
    My guides: | 1.8 PvP Build | Macro Guide

how many of those listed players are p5/6 and/or play in premades?

Sure a well geared mage in a premade is going to be fine beating pugs.

Will a p1 average geared mage in a pug with little or no healing do as well as if they were playing a different class?

Thats the question.
    RIFT Whitefall server / Pandemik / Mage (Pyromancer) Level 10-50 in warfronts. 300k favour earnt before hitting lvl 50 / Guild Black Company
    First player on Whitefall pvp server to reach 5000 pvp kills (Cutthroat). 25k+ pvp kills now pugged the whole way - single target only.

WAR Karak Eight Peaks and Karak Norn EU servers / Pandemic / Bright Wizard / Guild Black Company
    DAOC Excalibur EU server / Pandemic / Troll Warrior / Guild Black Company

yes, they absolutely will.

do you know what happens to p1 rogues? dps warriors? clerics?

they all die. very very fast. in order to compete in pvp, you're going to have to grind it out to at least a full set of 1/2 before you can talk about dieing too fast etc. once you have 17% valor you're going to see a huge change in survivability. now if you still spec glass cannon? that's your own fault. don't pug in glass. save that for premades with good healers.
    Last edited by lameboi; 07-08-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lameboi View Post
    yes, they absolutely will.

do you know what happens to p1 rogues? dps warriors? clerics?

they all die. very very fast. in order to compete in pvp, you're going to have to grind it out to at least a full set of 1/2 before you can talk about dieing too fast etc. once you have 17% valor you're going to see a huge change in survivability. now if you still spec glass cannon? that's your own fault. don't pug in glass. save that for premades with good healers.
    what do you base that'yes' on? I havent played any class except the mage and I do ok. (am p4 in level 30/40 gear). But not having played a warrior or rogue I couldnt answer if I would do better in either of those classes or not.

Have you played a mage in a pug that isnt top geared since 1.3? Have you played a warrior etc in a pug that isnt top geared since 1.3? Have you done both and so can compare the experience?

can you spec as a warrior / rogue for max dps without needing to be in a premade?
    Last edited by PandemicUK; 07-08-2011 at 06:02 AM.
    RIFT Whitefall server / Pandemik / Mage (Pyromancer) Level 10-50 in warfronts. 300k favour earnt before hitting lvl 50 / Guild Black Company
    First player on Whitefall pvp server to reach 5000 pvp kills (Cutthroat). 25k+ pvp kills now pugged the whole way - single target only.

WAR Karak Eight Peaks and Karak Norn EU servers / Pandemic / Bright Wizard / Guild Black Company

Quote Originally Posted by lameboi View Post
    If you aren't rank4+, you can't really talk about pvp in this state of the game. you're going to get trashed by a rank6 player if you aren't very good, and probably even if you are.

that being said, a mage played correctly is great in warfronts / open world,solo and group play.

ask prince, hnash, shinra, seether, devls, matill, etc from deepstrike. guardian and defiant sides, they are all very good and i'm sure they'd be happy to help anyone out.
    Funny the rank 2 warriors in my guild seemed do be doing just fine. One got 49 kbs in Scion last night. Good thing I need to be rank 6 to compete with rank 2.

Ascendant

No matter what you say warrior burst is stupid OP vs no valor classes. Low valor mages are your food. Thanks for the heads up that we're ok, nothing to see here.

P.S. yeah I cast my dom simon says debuffs on you warriors everytime. You macro spamming dummies always fall for it.

i dispell silly things like that.

look, i'm not saying 100% of the times that a low valor warrior will get destroyed, but if i'm in the warfront, they absolutely will. they're nothing but a blood thirsty proc, especially if i'm in my solo spec.

i'm saying that pvp in the current state is incredibly closed to being balanced due to the teamwork needed to thrive in the game. paragon is a bit OP if you have pocket heals.

without it, it's not that great unless you're r6. even then, if you're going up against a pre, you're going to die pretty quick.

with at least 300 valor and the 15% negative to being critted on you can survive longer and deal with any class. so pr2 with a full set of the armor should keep you alive till pr5/6 to get the pieces you want

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkra View Post
    Funny the rank 2 warriors in my guild seemed do be doing just fine. One got 49 kbs in Scion last night. Good thing I need to be rank 6 to compete with rank 2.
    I agree that should not be the case.

As a mage with no valor gear running as lock/chloro/archmage I have no problems at all against anyone in WFs and it takes 4 defiants to roll me. I am always #1 dmg and usually #1 or 2 on the healing with well over 15 kbs and generally 0-2 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxlivia View Post
    As a mage with no valor gear running as lock/chloro/archmage I have no problems at all against anyone in WFs and it takes 4 defiants to roll me. I am always #1 dmg and usually #1 or 2 on the healing with well over 15 kbs and generally 0-2 deaths.
    is that in a premade or in a pug? (i.e. no pet healer) and by no valour gear do you mean you are wearing blue/green gear?
    Last edited by PandemicUK; 07-08-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Rift Disciple

If you are topping the DPS in wf's then the rogues and warriors you run with are doing it wrong.

Rift Chaser

OP is ******ed, mages are ****ed in pvp right now. Discussion over.

Soulwalker

Thats the build i am using and i love it!!!!! Great CC, great dps, great survivability, good FF and aoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoldy View Post
    Thats the build i am using and i love it!!!!! Great CC, great dps, great survivability, good FF and aoe.
    I used this same build until I had at least 300 valor. After 300 valor and the crit decrease you become a lot stronger in pvp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast