Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mage 1.4 PvE Chlorolock Guide

Default Mage 1.4 PvE Chlorolock Guide

For the Latest version see:

http://bluedots.org/2011/07/07/chlor...warlock-guide/

Due to the forum posting rules the infomation below may be out of date and there are no pictures.

The Chlorolock

"The Chlorolock is an offensive healer capable of fully harnessing the powers of Life and Death. Cloaked in the shadows of death and drawing on the energy of plants and nature they radiate death to all who stand before them and channel Life to restore their allies."

The aim of this build to to maximise both your damage and heals, contributing whichever the raid needs most at any one moment.

With the ability to heal 5-10 allies at a time whilst hitting up to 8 targets this is a truly AOE spec.

Setup for playing this spec:

Build - ZAM Link

The Chloromancer Soul (36pts):

Tier 1, Max Int and Life damage pretty straight forward, more damage = more heals.
    Tier 2, Bloom, Flourish and Lifegiving Veil are critical to this build and the DOT damage gives an additional heal from Lifegiving Veil.
    Tier 3, The question here is if you take Radiant Spores or not. This spec is a Support healer and I think a 51pt Chloro is better suited to maintaining this so unless you know you will be the only Chloro in the raid you can drop Radiant Spores and take the increased critical chance for Flourish and Bloom.
    Tier 4, More health and more healing on your direct heal abilities.
    Tier 5, Living Shell is nice for Mana regen.
    Tier 6, Wild Growth and Natures Fury are both excellent skills and well worth 3 points.
    Tier 7, Huge emergency heal, great for those "oh sh!t" moments.

The Warlock Soul (30pts):

Tier 1, +25% Charge gained. More charge = more damage from Entropic Veil.
    Tier 2, Opportunity, Used properly you can get instant cast Natures Fury or Wild Growth while moving.
    Tier 3, +10% Health. Stronger is better!
    Tier 4, 5% Critical chance, more crits, more damage, more heals!
    Tier 5, +10% damage, = 10% more heals from Lifegiving Veil
    Tier 6, +10% damage...

The Archon soul (0pts):

There are two options for the 0 point soul, Archon and Archmage.
    With Archon you get Pillaging Stone which increases all your stats by 40 which is extra SpellPower and SpellCrit.

With Archmage you get Break Free which can be worth the loss of stats if the fight contains a lot of Stuns, Fears etc.

The good thing about 0pt souls is that you can switch them in between boss fights, so pick the most useful one for each boss.

Macros:

There is only one macro with this spec and its pretty short so if you prefer not to use macros just separate Ruin and Vile Spores.

#show Ruin
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ruin
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Dark Touch

Dark Touch is just filler for while you are moving.

Buffs

Lifegiving Veil - Passive Healing aura, make sure you have it active at all times!
    Warlock Armour - Passive +10% damage, make sure you have it active at all times!
    Entropic Veil - +19% damage toggle switch, drains charge whilst toggled on. Use before you pop large damage or whenever you have 80+ charge.
    Sacrifice Life : Damage - Use whenever its off cooldown, does not stack with Entropic Veil.

Damaging Spells

Vile Spores - Standard single target spam skill, use whenever just DPSing a single target.
    Ruin - Instant cast single target spell with a DOT effect.
    Nature's Fury - Max 4 targets AOE, you want to be using this as soon as its off cooldown if there are 3 or more targets.
    Corrosion - AOE life damage, keep this active if there are 3 or more targets.
    Devouring Shadows - Ground target Death based AOE. This is your damaging filler in aoe fights while Nature's Fury and Corrosion are on cooldown.

Healing Spells

Bloom - Instant cast single target heal, good to use anytime on tanks or players taking spike damage.
    Flourish - instant cast 10 target AOE heal, this is your big raid heal. Use to counter
    Essence surge - Last resort huge heal, if you think there is any chance of a raid member dying then USE IT! Its better to use it early and waste an occasional heal than to try to save it and let the tank die. Be aggressive with it!
    Wild Growth - AOE heal over time and +10% damage to all affected mobs. This skill is truly epic. Use on Burn phases or to counter AOE damage on the raid.
    Natural Conversion - Instant cast debuff, used against caster bosses this can produce 4k+ heals if timed well.

Rotation and Parses

Single Target Rotation

This is pretty simple, just spam the macro while using Bloom and Flourish to counter spike damage on the raid.

Ruin > Vile Spores

You should see something like this:

As you can see around 420 DPS just from spamming the macro, all of this is life damage and both Vile Spores and Ruin apply a DOT to the target that heals for the value of the first DOT tick.

This works out to around 750 HPS per target, Lifegiving Veil heals 5 targets so over 3000 HPS just from spamming the macro on a single target.

If you want more DPS on a single target then you can add Dark Touch into the rotation, it does around 70DPS and using Nature’s Fury with Opportunity procs is a nice DPS increase also.

Multiple Target Rotation:

This works best with 4-8 targets however its worth doing if there’s more than 2 targets.

Nature’s Fury > Corrosion > Devouring Shadows

Use Nature’s Fury and Corrosion every time as soon as they are off cooldown then use Devouring Shadows to fill the gaps. Remember to be using Sacrifice Life : Damage and Entropic Veil for the periods when you have all three spells active.

Using this rotation produces much less HPS than the single target rotation so be ready with Flourish and Ruin if the raid takes AOE damage and you can always switch back to the macro if you need more HPS.

A good trick is to use Wild Growth just before you start this rotation as it provides 10% damage bonus on all targets and a good AOE heal, which helps to make up for the lower HPS.

The real power of this build is the ability to switch between big damage and heals instantly and this works very well in boss fights that contain adds. For example Herald Gaurath.

As you can see at some points this spec can produce well over 3000DPS and a few seconds later over 3000HPS. This is just an example of what this spec is capable of, in skilled hands im sure higher parses are possible.

I hope you have enjoyed my guide, thanks for reading!

-Cane
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Plane Touched

Even without any points in Phytogenesis, don't you think it's worthwhile in your macro to include Radiant Spores right before Dark Touch for when you're on the move? It has a CD, so you can keep mashing the button and get to Dark Touch (which would also cast if your back is turned), but even a 10% chance over 16 seconds to heal for 100% of damage dealt for everyone in raid would be worthwhile, especially if you don't have another chloro (primarily in 10-man content, or certain 20-man fights.)

Also given that you're effectively solely spamming vile spores, the chloro-specific greater essence that increases vile spores damage after casting radiant spores seems even more valuable in this build. 32 damage = 36 heals for 5 people with 36 points in chloromancer for every vile spores, which means a total of 180 extra heals every hit.

I've also found it was worth speccing into Nature's Touch and including it in my macro rotation, as my overall DPS/HPS went up while using it, since it hits much harder than vile spores does, which was worth that extra .5 second cast time for me, plus it allows your DoT on your vile spores from nature's corrosion to play out a bit longer every other cast.
    Last edited by Uhgii; 07-07-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Plane Touched

Accidental double post, ignore.
    Last edited by Uhgii; 07-07-2011 at 03:22 PM.

No there is no point using Radiant Spores at any point in this spec as I said thats the role for the main Chloro and me casting a lesser version overwriting his would be a HPS loss for the raid.

Yes that greater essence would work well with this spec when fighting a single target, however this spec is best in AOE fights.

Hmm NT but no Synth could be worth checking out for an increase to single target dps/hps i'll have a look thanks
    -Cane

Plane Touched

I mentioned at least worth using if you're the only chloro, as I pointed out in 10-man content. Our guild full-clears GP effortlessly, and we never use more than a single chloromancer. Not using radiant spores at all is silly, especially when I can mash my macro on the move to apply it. Perhaps worth having a second macro for? Not every fight has two chloros.

And absolutely, give NT a try and let me know how you parse in raids with it, perhaps it was a fluke for me.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I run this spec in most raid settings over 51-chloro, as I out-heal and out-DPS in this spec, granted it's a slightly modified version of yours. In 20-man content, we'll usually run a 51-chloro and a chlorolock, and my heals top the charts consistently, but yes -- this is for AoE raid heals, and NOT for tank heals at all.
    Last edited by Uhgii; 07-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Dude did you not read the guide?

"Tier 3, The question here is if you take Radiant Spores or not. This spec is a Support healer and I think a 51pt Chloro is better suited to maintaining this so unless you know you will be the only Chloro in the raid you can drop Radiant Spores and take the increased critical chance for Flourish and Bloom."

Ofc 1 chloro should be using Rad Spores always, having 2 however is pointless.
    -Cane

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanas View Post
    Dude did you not read the guide?

"Tier 3, The question here is if you take Radiant Spores or not. This spec is a Support healer and I think a 51pt Chloro is better suited to maintaining this so unless you know you will be the only Chloro in the raid you can drop Radiant Spores and take the increased critical chance for Flourish and Bloom."

Ofc 1 chloro should be using Rad Spores always, having 2 however is pointless.
    I did read the guide, did you read my post? I was pointing out including it in the macro in front of Dark Touch, not just the casting of it.

Just trying to help out.

Great guide nevertheless. Thanks.

Ah lol wrong end of the stick I think, I would still not include it in the macro at all. If your gonna trait it then have it keybound and maintain it properly, macro could result in wasted gcd's or loss of uptime.

thanks
    -Cane

Plane Touched

Great point. My idea was simply to simply reset its duration while on the move, which is often more valuable to heals than a death-damaged based DoT, but I agree it throws a wrench in micromanaging its up-time manually.

Looking forward to more guides from you. Very thorough, and well written. Will be recommending it -- thanks again.

Yeah I totally agree, if you have it traited it would be a nice move to have it just above dark touck in the macro.

Will add that to the guide thanks
    -Cane

Rift Chaser

To the OP nice guide, but think u will find the cookie cutter chloro/lock is 35/31, neddra's essence is too good not to take

Quote Originally Posted by dorfadin View Post
    To the OP nice guide, but think u will find the cookie cutter chloro/lock is 35/31, neddra's essence is too good not to take
    A boost to dps while losing a big chunk of hps, no thank you

The purpose of having chloro in your build is to heal and right now 51 chloro is the only way to min/max.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Veramir View Post
    A boost to dps while losing a big chunk of hps, no thank you

The purpose of having chloro in your build is to heal and right now 51 chloro is the only way to min/max.
    Except that to get the maximum raid heals, which is the entire point of chlorolock, you get 15% more for going 36/30 chlorolock than 51 point chloro. The nice part of the 5 specs we get is that specialization is an option.

51 pts is the only way to min/max tank and expert healing.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tonomi View Post
    Except that to get the maximum raid heals, which is the entire point of chlorolock, you get 15% more for going 36/30 chlorolock than 51 point chloro. The nice part of the 5 specs we get is that specialization is an option.

51 pts is the only way to min/max tank and expert healing.
    This.

My 36/30 chlorolock outperforms my 51-point chloro in raid heals, by a large margin. Plus, the DPS is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Uhgii View Post
    This.

My 36/30 chlorolock outperforms my 51-point chloro in raid heals, by a large margin. Plus, the DPS is better.
    "raid heals" lets focus on that , you only need to be chunking spells to get good raid heals, if you go with that spec on a 5 man and try to solo you will fail , not to mention there will be no MH with that spec.

Support heals ...meh ill let the bard do that , i rather do some real dps.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast