+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 51 Chloro PvP - What's your soul setup look like?

Default 51 Chloro PvP - What's your soul setup look like?

I've been playing around with different combinations, but not really finding one that I like. What have you found to be useful, specifically against Melee/Rogue-heavy Warfront groups?
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    I've been playing around with different combinations, but not really finding one that I like. What have you found to be useful, specifically against Melee/Rogue-heavy Warfront groups?
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...McV.EdIuqAIkRR I've had some success against melee/rogue groups with this 51 chloro build... Although I personally couldn't kill them (had to rely on team)
    If a melee gets the jump on me I detaunt, Living Shell, and wild growth (if CD lets me lol), and Deny to remove poisons etc. which is long enough to heal self couple of times while your party takes down the melee
    I was Chloro/Lock/AM but Deny imo makes up for opportunity (in some cases i.e. Doms, Locks, Melee etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dominion85 View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...McV.EdIuqAIkRR I've had some success against melee/rogue groups with this 51 chloro build... Although I personally couldn't kill them (had to rely on team)
    If a melee gets the jump on me I detaunt, Living Shell, and wild growth (if CD lets me lol), and Deny to remove poisons etc. which is long enough to heal self couple of times while your party takes down the melee
    I was Chloro/Lock/AM but Deny imo makes up for opportunity (in some cases i.e. Doms, Locks, Melee etc...)
    Good call. I don't know why I always forget about Deny being so easy to get.
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

I'm, honestly not trolling here, but why does one want a 51 Chloro build for PVP?

Over say a 44 or 32 chloro build with more survivability or damage options.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    I'm, honestly not trolling here, but why does one want a 51 Chloro build for PVP?

Over say a 44 or 32 chloro build with more survivability or damage options.
    51 Chloro brings a stronger direct heal support option, instead of relying on splash heals and cooldown heals that aren't nearly as effective in keeping a focused target alive. Probably has to do with NH and VL both being so deep in the root tree. If they were available earlier, it'd be more of an option.

I have my Chloro/Warlock/Ele (or AM) build. Those are great for 8s every 3 minutes if there's no MM around.

I guess the easier answer would have just been: I want to be more like a Cleric in PvP. Probably not a popular answer, but I think deep down every Chloro has to be a little envious at the tools a Cleric has to keep a focus target alive.
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Yeah to bad I see a 2.5 second cast and think "oh interupted" anytime I think about it :| Really leave that for the Clerics. 51 before was only useful for the rather stupid damage output that Void Life could bring out, which was replaced by 44 Natural Splendor in 1.3. So really I see little reason to keep up 51 even for NH. Although honestly I go for just 15 Arch anyway purely for Overload's increasei n damage and heals (although those are the same thing in 51). Dominator allows some useful tools but honestly not to the point that I am dramatically impressed.
    I've been dabbling in 11AM/10Ele/44Chloro purely for aoe natural splendor, 10% less damage from ele (5% more crit too) and the 11 in the offensive archmage side. That 10% works out to be quite nice overall. Although before the Steelweave nerf I was using 10 in defensive archmage and ele for a rather huge decrease in overall damage taken :3 But personally 10 point investment for 5% less damage is meh, the -15% crit chance is nice enough if you want to take it.
    Last edited by wallweasels; 07-07-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

51 Chloro brings a stronger direct heal support option, instead of relying on splash heals and cooldown heals that aren't nearly as effective in keeping a focused target alive. Probably has to do with NH and VL both being so deep in the root tree. If they were available earlier, it'd be more of an option.

I have my Chloro/Warlock/Ele (or AM) build. Those are great for 8s every 3 minutes if there's no MM around.

I guess the easier answer would have just been: I want to be more like a Cleric in PvP. Probably not a popular answer, but I think deep down every Chloro has to be a little envious at the tools a Cleric has to keep a focus target alive.
    The problem I have with this is that it seems like I would be trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole (ie I'm not a cleric and playing like one). I heal through damage dealt and through a cooldown/single target VS AE heals mechanic (I could be lazy but I don't like swapping Veils or synth targets midfight), I have to stand perfectly still (compared to a run-jumping warden) to heal my target, I can't get heals from other chloros, and my self-healing is much lower than a cleric's. We dont have any pre-heals or damage mitigation abilities for our heal targets before they are hit.

This is probably a personal choice, but it would seem to me that going full heal-cannon as a mage is somewhat less effective than going tanky- AE splash heals.

To be perfectly honest I have not even tried a 51 chloro build in pvp, and I could well be 100% wrong about my assumptions, but the ability list does not suggest a positive outcome.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Prophet of Telara

I've tried 51 chloro 15 lock. Amazing for heals and 9k life, but when something melee gets on you and tears you up, it's not fun

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    The problem I have with this is that it seems like I would be trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole (ie I'm not a cleric and playing like one). I heal through damage dealt and through a cooldown/single target VS AE heals mechanic (I could be lazy but I don't like swapping Veils or synth targets midfight), I have to stand perfectly still (compared to a run-jumping warden) to heal my target, I can't get heals from other chloros, and my self-healing is much lower than a cleric's. We dont have any pre-heals or damage mitigation abilities for our heal targets before they are hit.

This is probably a personal choice, but it would seem to me that going full heal-cannon as a mage is somewhat less effective than going tanky- AE splash heals.

To be perfectly honest I have not even tried a 51 chloro build in pvp, and I could well be 100% wrong about my assumptions, but the ability list does not suggest a positive outcome.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. I guess it's just ***** envy.

I appreciate the discussion and suggestions regardless. I just wish I didn't have to /sadface every time I go Chloro/Lock and watch my Neddra's get dispelled, or try to pop Shadow Life right as Lingering Wounds procs on me and seeing a pitiful 1.2k heal on a 3min CD.

I will say that I'm genuinely pleased with 38 Chloro/10 Dom/18 AM build someone suggested. Literally the ONLY downside to the build is sustained heals on a target getting focused, but I guess in reality, a 2.5s heal isn't going to keep them up anyway.

Thanks again all.

I've tried 51 chloro 15 lock. Amazing for heals and 9k life, but when something melee gets on you and tears you up, it's not fun
    Eesh, and you're max geared and have a pretty good group of people supporting you... I guess that's a lost cause.

Is your Chloro/Lock build the standard, or are you using something funky? Watched your video a few times trying to figure out what some odd looking icons were, didn't know if you went a different soul route or if I was seeing things.
    Last edited by Stigas; 07-07-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

I was actually waiting for a thread like that. And I knew I was the weird guy again...

I love 51 chloro for pvp. Actually I wouldn't play a WL/Chloro mix. The reason? Plain and simple, really... Void Life. Constant healing stream feels so much better than waiting for those casts to land. I consider myself a support healer anyway (playing a cleric myself and know how awesome it can be if you keep guys alive just to give the cleric the second he needs) and spamming VL and NF is just it. Sounds boring, might be for a lot of people, but I like it :P Throw in those almost always criting direct heals and you can do quite the stuff.

What I am struggling with however, is also the question of the 15 points beside the chloro tree. Deny is that awesome, I can't live without it actually. Though, Opportunity kicks for getting that Natural Healing out.

I'm torn apart between 51/10WL/5AM and 51/10Dom/5AM. Both is good, but I think in the end Deny wins. It's jut too damn powerful to not take...

On the other hand one might consider 15 points into WL for even more HP. But losing the AM dmg boost and Detaunt.. sucks.

€: Natural Splendor and especially Blight are extremely powerful tools, too. Just make sure you have someone around putting it to good use... (PUG can do that, just make sure there are some active brain cells)
    Last edited by Elerina; 07-07-2011 at 09:24 AM.

I have ran: 10 warlock/5 archmage and 15 archmage/0 archon. Both work about the same. 15 archmage made me a little tougher to the melees and gave me a purge which works well after a blight.

If you are using VL then I would skip warlock, you already are using an instant cast spell. If you are spamming bolt spells then warlock would be more useful.

I am still not sure which is more healing, spamming VL or bolt spells. I think the bolt spells are.

First I tried 51 / 10 dom / 5 AM. Neat if you're not targeted. Terrible survivability.
    Then I tried 51 / 10 WL / 5 AM. Much better. Extra charge really helps, opp procs very nice both for attacks and for healing yourself. Although I liked draining mana, having is on demand is better. Still squishy.

Went back to Chloro/Lock. Much better. I've been qqing about the chloro nerf. tbh, it was all my fault for switching specs. I'll keep fine tuning but I'm 34Chlor/32Warlock atm. I suppose I could put a couple of points into AM but not 5, I really want both 31 skills.

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaK View Post
    First I tried 51 / 10 dom / 5 AM. Neat if you're not targeted. Terrible survivability.
    Then I tried 51 / 10 WL / 5 AM. Much better. Extra charge really helps, opp procs very nice both for attacks and for healing yourself. Although I liked draining mana, having is on demand is better. Still squishy.

Went back to Chloro/Lock. Much better. I've been qqing about the chloro nerf. tbh, it was all my fault for switching specs. I'll keep fine tuning but I'm 34Chlor/32Warlock atm. I suppose I could put a couple of points into AM but not 5, I really want both 31 skills.
    You don't need to go that deep in chloro with chlorolock. 18 - 24 points is enough.

And the extra 15% damage from archmage will help more with healing then anything else. The whole point of chlorolock is to up your damage which ups your heals. So it is counterintuitive to skip the beefy 15% damage boost from archmage.

You'd be better off losing 5 out of warlock from the improved warlock armor and putting it in archmage. You'd lose 10% but gain 15%, although I won't do that, it is better to just take it out of chloro.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 07-08-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Since Melee seems to be the only trouble I have, has anyone considered/can anyone see anything blatantly wrong with this spec?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...R0f.EdIzoA0zRo

Haven't tried it. Was just thinking to myself that, rather than devoting so many points into defensive talents to mitigate damage (which don't add up to THAT much), maybe just combine all the anti-melee tools I have access to.

Still wondering if dropping Fiery Resolve and a point from Hastened Withdrawal or Overload for Blight would be better.

Don't laugh. :S
    Last edited by Stigas; 07-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Since Melee seems to be the only trouble I have, has anyone considered/can anyone see anything blatantly wrong with this spec?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...R0f.EdIzoA0zRo

Haven't tried it. Was just thinking to myself that, rather than devoting so many points into defensive talents to mitigate damage (which don't add up to THAT much), maybe just combine all the anti-melee tools I have access to.

Still wondering if dropping Fiery Resolve and a point from Hastened Withdrawal or Overload for Blight would be better.

Don't laugh. :S
    I actually like the idea. Flicker is damn powerful.

Theoretically, Flicker + Break Free gives you enough tools to handle CC. So Fiery Resolve isn't all that neccessary. I personally love Blight, especially if you have someone around who can put it to good use (really kills a target quickly if followed my immediate ff).

Anyways, I still love 51 Chloro. VL might not be more healing than the bolt spells, but it heals in a constant stream and for some reasons that feels VERY beneficial to me.

@Jeremiahcp:

The WL idea was for Natural Healing. Can be quite nice if you got some opp proccs at the right time. It's still proccs though, so nothing to rely on.

As mentioned in my post above though, Deny is the awesomesauce. So 10 pts in Dom is somewhat a must-have. Nothing saves the cleric standing right beside you like freeing him instantly from the gazillion debuffs to get rid of Dominator pwnage (drains make clerics QQ ^^).

So in the end, I think you just have to accept, that you are a support healer. You just can't be as good at healing as a cleric imho. I can live with that and support the way I like it best. VL, NF and strong always critting heals. If you watch the fight and aren't the focus target you can even start casting NH. 2.5s is an eternity in pvp, I know. But it can be what you need to keep someone up. If you're ff'ed, forget about that ofc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast