+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP Dom/Lock build, comments pls

Telaran

Default PVP Dom/Lock build, comments pls

Hi all,
    I am only rank 2 and my pvp gear is still a work in progress so I've played a bit of everything in warfronts and world pvp trying to find a good mix that alows me to be a factor despite my low ranking/valor! I've been using 51 Dom, Cholro/Lock and a Dom/Chloro based on suggestions from posts found here and they have proven quite good. However, I always liked my Warlock and so I have decided to give Dom/Lock a go. Here is the build that I will trying tonight:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...k.MsVhqksMbk.b

My main tools with this build are mana wrench, Life Leach, Draining bolt, Transference, Trans, Split, and Edict for 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2 situations and TI, Radiate Death package, Devouring, Reflective Presence and Incompetence for groups. Storm Shackle is of course good for both.

My other main focus was having lots of little CD skills for different situations and different opponenents so I took most of the skill giving tree choices. I took 3/3Neddra's Influence instead of adding more points in the other passives because I'm hoping it helps Mana Wrench and Haunting pain as well as helping make Life Leech and Dark Touch actually hurt. I also got the extra max health stuff which I'm hoping will mean more damage before Trans breaks.

I went 32 in each to get the 5 sec sillence and mass exhaustion though I am willing to give these up if the points are better spent elsewhere. I am definitlely min 31 into Dom for TI so the extra point in Dom to get Mass Exhaustion seems right to me (especially since there is so much good stuff in Dom tree).

Lock vs AM is where the real decisions are. I'd like to get Detaunt if possible and 5/5 in Planar Attunment makes more sense than having any points in Dark Power (3% per point vs 2% per point). But then I lose the silence and the nice 1 vs 1 8 sec tank skill NE.

In Dom my decisions are mostly in regards to the "Presences". Whcih one to chose (or both)? Am I missing something big by not putting any points into empowered Presence? Am I wasting a point putting 1in durable control? Should I put 2? So many choices!

Comments and opinions from more experienced mages please. No need to compare to 51 Dom or Dom/Chloro, just let me know what you think about my choices and what (if anything) I could change to make this build more kickass.

SD

Dom/Lock is what I run right now.

My views on how the spec is played best, your mileage may vary:

I never use mana wrench, it is an inefficient spell for the time you spend channeling it. There is also the "kill the guy at the other end of this beam" issue with it.

I usually open with squirrel, void shroud, and storm shackle; what happens from here depends on external factors.

If I am going to AE into the croud I start with dark touch, grasp and radiate. Follow with shackle and traitor's influence (hopefully my target is a healer) I want to follow all this with Arresting Presence to prevent healing and cleansing. I finnish with split personality and VB spam into my heal-debuffed target. The effect of all the AE dot's and barbs stacking into a silenced zone is pretty massive: lots of numbers all different sizes, colors and denominations.

There are way too many tools in this package to fit in one post, while some are redundant they are all useful and should be considered in most situations.

One thing I'm finding myself doing 1v1 against a rogue is Transference to put him at 0 energy followed by Mortality to get some free heals while he is unable to interrupt or stun me. If he starts running out of the AE it's a win for me, because now he has to re-close that distance.

You could try 5 AM Dom/Lock it should do... 7% more damage at the cost of Choke and Neddra's Essence.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Telaran

Thanks for the input. Our builds are pretty close (with the exception of Mana wrench and void bolt vs life leach improve) and I'm glad to hear that you are successful using it. Your openings and tactics are very similar to what I had in mind. I had planned on using Neural Prod spam instead of void bolt because of the lower cast time. Is the damage that much better with VB that I should reconsider?

Thanks again for the help.

SD

AAA
    Telaran

Default quick thinking

If you slip in a Thunder Blast before you cast Void bolt it will reduce the cast time of your next Void Bolt by .5 second (Quick Thinking). My Neural prod hits for about 380 ish, where as a good VB can get close to 1k in the same global cool down.

Improved VB casts as fast as Prod can be spammed, so long as you're not moving, 1.5 seconds. Prod can crit for around 400 for me, where VB can get up over 1k.

There is additional burst that can be gained on a target by following a VB with a Draining Bolt, both hit the target at nearly the same time.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Telaran

Thanks again guys. I think I'll move two points from improved life leech to improved void bolt. Thunder blast, void bolt then draining bolt sounds like a quick little burst of damage that would follow up my opening sequence nicely.

SD

+ Reply to Thread