+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Pillaging Stone (Archon 3rd soul)

Default Thoughts on Pillaging Stone (Archon 3rd soul)

I am currently using the following spec for raiding,

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...z.xchczucdxo.m

I have forgone Withering Flames in favor of 4 points into Archon for the +4% fire dmg and group buffs. In raids, I often find myself as the only mage with any points in Archon so I usually cast Searing Vitality to begin each fight. This was a no brainer since it is insta cast and a single GCD. I can cast it and it will self replicate to 5 stacks.

My issue is with Pillaging Stone, as I am not sure if it is worth all the GCD's losses to get up 5 stacks. I am looking for feedback as to if it is worth it to get up 5 stacks of Pillaging Stone since it has a long cast time and triggers GCD x5. I am guessing it may not be worth it.

Thanks as always!

Soulwalker

Pillaging stone is deff worth it on boss pulls. For the cost of your first 5 gcd's, you are getting +40 int and wis, so it's like having an extra trinket with 100% uptime. After like 1-2 minutes, it's easily paid for those first gcd's. You can also throw it up on the trash before the boss pull so you only have to hit it once to refresh.

Shadowlander

The group buffs are easily and often overwritten by other souls, and with Burning Bright giving 1.2% fire damage per point, it makes more sense to keep the points four points in Archon in Pyro instead for 4.8% fire damage.

Now, as far as the 5 stacks of Pillaging Stone, 40 sp is nothing to sneer at, and if you can stack them up on trash before the boss pull, the cost for the stack is instead 1 cast every 4:45 or so.

Telaran

Pillaging stone is a 2 second cast, not a GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonomi View Post
    The group buffs are easily and often overwritten by other souls, and with Burning Bright giving 1.2% fire damage per point, it makes more sense to keep the points four points in Archon in Pyro instead for 4.8% fire damage.
    Not sure what you mean here since I have fully specced Burning Bright (31,31,4), the only thing I could add would be Withering Flames but I feel my points are better spent in Archon for the flat dps increase. After 31 points in Pyro, there isn't anything to invest points in to increase dps, and all that is left it utility (unless you count the pet abilities).

Honestly, I was expecting the opposite response to drop Pillaging Stone. Glad I asked!

Quote Originally Posted by Aarpia View Post
    Pillaging stone is a 2 second cast, not a GCD.
    Does Pillaging Stone not trigger GCD? I could have sworn it does.

Rift Disciple

I'd agree, keep PS... But why the 4 into archon, most raids will have an archon for the buffs/debuffs..
    Burning bright : +1.2% fire damage per point spent in pyro
    Soul fire: 1% fire damage per point

I'd put the points back into pyro

PS definatly DOES trigger a GCD, just with a 2 second casting time... You wont notice it
    Last edited by Hope; 07-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    I'd agree, keep PS... But why the 4 into archon, most raids will have an archon for the buffs/debuffs..
    Burning bright : +1.2% fire damage per point spent in pyro
    Soul fire: 1% fire damage per point

I'd put the points back into pyro

PS definatly DOES trigger a GCD, just with a 2 second casting time... You wont notice it
    If you all actually looked at my spec you would see I have points in all that. I would love for someone to tell me what I could do in my Pyro spec to improve dps but there isn't anything. IMHO 31 is all you need in Pyro. Someone tell me what would give me more than a 4% dps increase that I gain from Archon and I will stand corrected but before doing so, please look at my spec. =P

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Steelwind1; 07-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind1 View Post
    If you all actually looked at my spec you would see I have points in all that. I would love for someone to tell me what I could do in my Pyro spec to improve dps but there isn't anything. IMHO 31 is all you need in Pyro. Someone tell me what would give me more than a 4% dps increase that I gain from Archon and I will stand corrected but before doing so, please look at my spec. =P

Thanks all!
    YOU GET 1.2% FIRE DAMAGE FOR EVERY POINT YOU SPEND IN PYRO. IT IS UNILATERALLY, UNEQUIVOCOLLAY BETTER THAN PUTTING 4 POINTS IN ARCHON.

Maybe that's big enough for you to understand.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Shadowlander

What the other players are trying to say is by putting 4 points in archon you are only getting a 4% increase to fire damage where as if you go 35/31 pyro/ele you get an additional 4.8% increase to fire damage because of the talent burning bright. Therefor moving the 4 points from archon to pyro is an overall dps gain.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xolst View Post
    What the other players are trying to say is by putting 4 points in archon you are only getting a 4% increase to fire damage where as if you go 35/31 pyro/ele you get an additional 4.8% increase to fire damage because of the talent burning bright. Therefor moving the 4 points from archon to pyro is an overall dps gain.
    Not to mention that withering flames is a DPS increase.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Not to mention that withering flames is a DPS increase.
    Bluedots and some other mages have finally concluded the Withering is a dps loss now

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xolst View Post
    Bluedots and some other mages have finally concluded the Withering is a dps loss now
    It was an increase for me the last time I checked, but I admittedly don't play Pyro much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    It was an increase for me the last time I checked, but I admittedly don't play Pyro much at all.
    If it crit it would be a DPS gain. A spell that doesn't make use of half your DPS stats is hard to justify. THat being said I believe it is a DPS gain at lower Spell Power, but I haven't tested it in great detail. Also in an encounter you almost never get 5 stacks because if a small bug happens to fly by at the wrong time you'll only get 4 stacks worth.

AAA
    Telaran

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind1 View Post

Thanks all!
    Steel,

You asked for it so I am going to give it to you.... look very closely at Burning Bright. At 3 pts it is a 1.2% increase per point spent in Pyro. So you get 4% from Archon (good job), or you can add those 4 pts back into pyro for 4.8%.

Now you're saying "What a jerk Phone is!" to point out the obvious. But what you might not know is that you can build up Pillaging stone and Searing Vitality then swap Archon for Archmage for 0 pt Break free. Once you start using Break free in PVE/Raids/open world pvp you will realize how valuable it is.

Hot key it to your "oh $hit" macro button as the first cast. Now you lose Ashen Defense, but you wanted more dps right? So I gave you .8% increase so mail me some plat ;).

Kind Regards,

Phone, aka Phoneguy, aka Aone
    Briarcliff Defiant w/Damaged PVP

p.s. Because of the changes to Burning Bright some people are finding that 51pt Pyro is not bad for DPS, although I still find the class lackluster comparatively.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast