+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defile Working as Intended?

Telaran

Default Defile Working as Intended?

So defile is a 16 second duration dot, it does damage on cast which means it should tick 9 times(like dark touch) but mine only ticks 8 times. I've manually counted several times, comes out to 8, even if I thrown in other spells to make sure charge is not an issue.

If it's only suppose to tick 8 times then fine, except for the last 2 seconds the dot is up it still drains charge yet does no damage for that period. Trion give us the last tick of damage or change it to 14 second duration, unless someone can point out what I'm missing?

Rift Disciple

Some DoT's just have different tick intervals. For example Searing Vitality ticks 11 times in ten seconds.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dezyne View Post
    Some DoT's just have different tick intervals. For example Searing Vitality ticks 11 times in ten seconds.
    Initial hit then one tick per second. Dark touch is initial hit then one tick per 2 seconds, same with life leech etc. Defile is missing the last tick but still drains 2 seconds of charge, it doesn't seem right.

Rift Disciple

Yeah, I see what you're saying, I only brought that up to illustrate that there are different behaviors.

I'd guess that what is happening is a bug with the consumtion of charge. I've noticed with Rock Slide that if I don't have enough charge for the first tick, but I have some, I can cast the spell and have it imediatly fizzle to cooldown without applying any damage or debuff.

I know you said you were making charge a non issue by casting other spells, so I think you may have found a bug.

In the meantime whilst this is fixed, surely it isn't too much of an issue to refresh Defile 2 secs early to keep the damage up?

In any case thanks for pointing this out, will help prevent my Defile spec wasting charge for nought.

Soulwalker

I actually hadn't noticed that issue at the end. Suppose I'll change my rotation a bit now, much appreciated.

Rift Disciple

What are some good ways to use defile?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
    At my spell power defile does about 50% more damage than dark touch, but it uses about 100 charge during its 16 seconds. You just have to consider its limitations while using it as much as possible.

Don't start a rotation with it unless you have charge built up already. Don't cast it on more than one target unless you're confident you can keep your charge up. After 4-6 seconds it does more damage than void bolt but most people wouldn't use a dot for burst, up to you. You might know all these things but I'm no pro, some others might have more useful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
    http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/end-game-mage-pve-guide/ The NecroLock here shows a nice way to utilise it in PvE. It basically, if executed perfectly just prevents Defile falling off by 1-2 charge the first time you activate it, so it has maximum uptime. This is the build I use primarily for boss fights (Sc/Ele for AoE required ones) and it's really nice.

The mobility is key, as is not having to baby your pet, you just let him get on with it. You also don't have any CDs really but maybe Sac Lifeamage to worry about, so it's a simple rotation of DoT management, so you have a lot of freedom to move about if the encounter needs it without any adverse impacts on your rotation.

You can also use it with Empowered Darkness - turn on ED, cast refresh Necrosis, Dark Touch and cast Defile, then turn ED off and spam VB to keep your charge up. I think the 51 Lock spec is a DPS loss in PvE though compared to the other Necro/Lock ones.

Rift Chaser

I just want to confirm the OP's conclusions, my own testing using a parser and visually watching my charge and combatlog both confirm that defile continues to drain charge from 1.99-0 seconds, but does not give an extra tick of damage at zero seconds.

Just another piece to pile on the heap of the crappy state of mages in Rift right now.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrocaster View Post
    I just want to confirm the OP's conclusions, my own testing using a parser and visually watching my charge and combatlog both confirm that defile continues to drain charge from 1.99-0 seconds, but does not give an extra tick of damage at zero seconds.

Just another piece to pile on the heap of the crappy state of mages in Rift right now.
    I think defile should be fixed in some way.

I think haunting pain should have been worked on when they updated dom, a 2 second cast(pvp!) dot should do more damage.

I think withering flames should crit, if it's not going to then maybe update the tool tip so players know.

Unfortunately the way things have been we'll probably have to wait till the next major patch before fixes are implemented.

+ Reply to Thread