+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the new cookie cutter PvE Mage?

Soulwalker

Default Whats the new cookie cutter PvE Mage?

The whole way up to lvl 50 I was looking forward to switching from my necro/lock to SC/Ele and then right as I hit 50 patch 1.3 came out and from what I understand killed SC for Mages. I'm now trying to find what the new competitive soul combo is for Mages in PvE.

SC/Ele is still fine if you just swap some moves around and pick up the Building Storm rotation.

There's also Zoomancer. Necro/Lock isn't terrible, but don't expect to out-DPS the rogues or warriors anytime soon. Or the Clerics, sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Prophet of Telara

sc/ele
    pyro/ele
    necro/dom
    necro/lock

are all competitive.

38 Necromancer 28 Dominator spec for single target fights.
    34 Stormcaller 32 Elementalist still for more aoe heavy fights and fights necro/dom is unsuitable for.

DPS mages in my raid group have already been assimilated into the new raiding standards.
    We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    Last edited by Inixia; 07-05-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    38 Necromancer 28 Dominator spec for single target fights.
    34 Stormcaller 32 Elementalist still for more heavily aoe fights and fights necro/dom is unsuitable for.

DPS mages in my raid group have already been assimilated into the new raiding standards.
    We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    /agree
    Pyro/Ele if the fight is unfriendly to the necro pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    pyro/ele
    necro/dom
    necro/lock

are all competitive.
    HAHA, oh wait you were being serious.

the only thing that's competitive and viable is sc/ele for a pve dps role

the gimmick spec is a joke that has a 50/50 chance to be successful

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post

What realm of reality is this type of commentary helpful to anyone?

Soulwalker

Would warlock/necro be competitive with sc/ele on fights like Greenscale or Herald? Using dark touch/Neddra's grasp/radiate death, grave rot & devouring shadows for the AOE portions of the fights.

I'm getting tired (and sometimes frustrated) with sc/ele -- I'd love to spec out of it.

AOE Chloro and Archon are currently the only 2 viable PVE specs.

Or you can rock SC/ELE and run a 72 button rotation that when messed up drops you to the bottom of the DPS charts.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryNerfedMage View Post
    AOE Chloro and Archon are currently the only 2 viable PVE specs.

Or you can rock SC/ELE and run a 72 button rotation that when messed up drops you to the bottom of the DPS charts.
    Wrong and now get out of here and your wrong usage of the word viable.

The SC/Ele BS/AB rotation isn't really the difficult to master. It just takes a little bit of practice. What makes it difficult is getting the rotation down perfectly to get good empirical results on a fight like Plutonus or Warmaster, and then trying to switch it up to determine which yields the maximum output and most efficient charge usage! I.e. going from Deadlysight's to Bluedot's to Coldheart's. Muscle memory is a really P.I.T.A. Arrrgh.
    Lost in orbit...

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post

Gimmick build is incredibly easy to use. On warmaster the fight ended just as all my cds came up and I still hit 1600 on it and that was 38/28, not even 31/28/7 which would outdps it by far. I have no issue with it on plutonus as you'd have to be daft to not figure out how to hit cds after his first shield and then whenever after accordingly. Duke, Johlen, Oracle, Hylas, this fight dominates most of those as well with little effort. The only fights it falls below on are the 3 AOE spam fights, HG, LGS, Alsbeth. It dominates every GP fight by far as there is a fair share of movement in those and a lot of damage is pet based requiring no effort on the mage's part. Especially with the callouts to do nothing.

Honestly, I don't know why necro/dom gets hated on so much, it does its job, people just have a hard-on for 20 button rotation SC/ELE that doesn't win in any category but AOE. It has less burst than pyro/ele (and let's be honest, DPS meters only matter if you can't win before an enrage timer, otherwise most fights burst tends to dominate in terms of need), less ST than necro/dom, and ties mobility with defile spec.

Just play what works, beat bosses.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AquaSquirrel View Post
    Honestly, I don't know why necro/dom gets hated on so much
    Mainly because I have no control over whether the pets want to actually attack and make my DPS viable, or if they want to stand around with their shadowy thumbs in their shadowy ***** and do nothing.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by AquaSquirrel View Post
    Gimmick build is incredibly easy to use. On warmaster the fight ended just as all my cds came up and I still hit 1600 on it and that was 38/28, not even 31/28/7 which would outdps it by far. I have no issue with it on plutonus as you'd have to be daft to not figure out how to hit cds after his first shield and then whenever after accordingly. Duke, Johlen, Oracle, Hylas, this fight dominates most of those as well with little effort. The only fights it falls below on are the 3 AOE spam fights, HG, LGS, Alsbeth. It dominates every GP fight by far as there is a fair share of movement in those and a lot of damage is pet based requiring no effort on the mage's part. Especially with the callouts to do nothing.

Honestly, I don't know why necro/dom gets hated on so much, it does its job, people just have a hard-on for 20 button rotation SC/ELE that doesn't win in any category but AOE. It has less burst than pyro/ele (and let's be honest, DPS meters only matter if you can't win before an enrage timer, otherwise most fights burst tends to dominate in terms of need), less ST than necro/dom, and ties mobility with defile spec.

Just play what works, beat bosses.
    Idk but when I tested 38/28 as opposed to 31/28/7 (7 into entropic veil- unless you meant something else?) I personally found that the 38/28 spec did better, I'm guessing from the extra points going towards Life Bane pet dmg, but it could always use further testing.
    And I would also add Duke Letareus personally for sc/ele as well ^^ but aside from that I agree
    Necro/Dom is definitely not just a gimmick spec, its here to stay its a lot less conditional than people suppose at first for single target fights and the pets are not really that bad to manage, the main skill in necro/dom I find is knowing boss mechanics to know how and when to time out your moveset (or knowing when to use mage pet, or throw in storm shackle), but knowing this the spec does high dmg in a very consistent way.
    Last edited by Inixia; 07-06-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    Idk but when I tested 38/28 as opposed to 31/28/7 (7 into entropic veil- unless you meant something else?) I personally found that the 38/28 spec did better, I'm guessing from the extra points going towards Life Bane pet dmg, but it could always use further testing.
    And I would also add Duke Letareus personally for sc/ele as well ^^ but aside from that I agree
    Necro/Dom is definitely not just a gimmick spec, its here to stay its a lot less conditional than people suppose at first for single target fights and the pets are not really that bad to manage, the main skill in necro/dom I find is knowing boss mechanics to know how and when to time out your moveset (or knowing when to use mage pet, or throw in storm shackle), but knowing this the spec does high dmg in a very consistent way.
    7 is warlock and it's for lifeleech + void bolt spamming. Instead of plague bolt you use grave rot for stacks (which will out dps on warmaster due to a 2 target fight). Also, Duke is considered a ST fight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast