+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Healing Mobile Fights as a Chloromancer?

Shadowlander

Default Healing Mobile Fights as a Chloromancer?

Yesterday, my group ran into a roadblock in my first T2 instance - AP. Once we sorted out the fight mechanics we were OK until the final boss, Calyx the Ancient. Our group didn't have anyone who could purge the damage shield from him, which was part of the problem, but I also struggled with keeping the party healed while still dodging both the lasers and the maelstroms.

I know there's more mobile fights in the future, so I'm looking for tips not just on Calyx, but any other fights involving constant re-positioning.

FWIW, my group make-up yesterday was two warriors (one tank, one DPS as paragon), one rogue who went bard for the bosses (I had no issues healing the trash solo), and another mage who's spec I'm unsure of - seemed to be heavy warlock. I was using the standard 51 chloro / 10 warlock / 5 elementalist build, though I'm thinking of either switching out warlock for dominator or setting up another role with that build.
    "I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Ya that fight is really rough for me on chloro now. Not much you can do but pray for opportunity procs and spam your instants.

Soulwalker

tbf, I don't have much trouble with Calyx, it can realy help if you have a bard with you, but other than that, I just use LGV for that fight and just hope for Opportunity procs, also i think his aoe is called Frozen Wrath which drops all party members to about 10-20% hp, just save Flourish for when he casts this.

Rift Disciple

NT times well with his big group damage. Wait half a second or so after the words come up and start casting. Make sure you're as far from the incoming laser as possible because if you get hit you'll push back the cast time. With the travel time of the spell, NT should hit just as the spell goes off, healing the tank to almost full. People shouldn't be taking too much damage in between, so you can use flourish if you want, or just get spores and WVs up and spam VS. WV and spores help a lot in this fight because its healing that happens while you move. I only cast VS between his big group damage spell because I don't want to be without NT when it goes off.

Also, I wouldn't recommend this, but you can jump over the lasers if you time it right, its about a 50/50 shot whether it works or not, but it means you don't have to move around as much. Just make sure you don't do a jump when the group damage comes.

Besides that, your party members shouldn't be taking a lot of damage in between if they're paying attention. If it gets too ridiculous tell them to go range.

I don't have much problem with this fight as long as everyone understands the mechanics.

This is a fight about patience and paying attention to the surroundings. Save flourish for the aoe, as mentioned, and beyond that use your Ruin when you need to reposition. I find it best to move to the leading edge of a pie segment, stand and cast until the beam comes to the next segment, move back (toss ruin/bloom if I need and any other instant while running/repo to get oppty etc).

Only times you need to reposition early is if he lays down his ground AoE near you. Beyond that its not to bad. The mechanics seem harsh but imo make for one of the easier boss encounters. The group AoE he does wont kill anyone so as long as you are judicious in your use of flourish and time your other instants and opptys well you should be totally fine here.

You can try to stick close to the center and use WG on him, but I found this to be a fairly bad idea, your repositioning will increase, and free standing cast times decrease. The further out you sit the wider the area you have before you need to move again.

As long as the rest of the group also moves appropriately you will be fine. Have the ranged sit as far back as they can and do a similar pattern (run to leading edge, dps, move out of ground AoE when it occurs.. wait for trailing edge, reposition, rinse repeat).

As a note, it is usually best if everyone is spread basically into their own segments. This decreases the chances that his ground AoE hits multiple people, and allows you to have more flexibility in healing should anyone get trapped and need some serious healing attention. Before the pull have everyone spread out in a line and as the tank pulls run up the sides to spread out the segments. That should also help, if it hasnt been done in your group(s)
    -Crash the silence for the sake of memory-

Rift Disciple

solo healed that one a couple of times, you really have to pay attention on that fight.

You will more than likely need to eat a laser or two to finish casts while avoiding ground AOEs. The hardest part is saving your flourish for after the big group 80% hit that he does - it doesn't hurt to have a competent team that is able to avoid ground aoe's and run in circles at the same time.
    Tankalron :: Fires of Heaven :: Deepwood (US) Defiant

Rift Disciple

The lasers in this fight are a joke, don't bother dodging them unless it is at the same time as his big aoe. Every time they are about to hit you, strafe through them so you only take 1 tick of damage.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the various tips, folks.

Any other highly mobile fights where some of this might apply as well?
    "I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tankalron View Post
    solo healed that one a couple of times, you really have to pay attention on that fight.

You will more than likely need to eat a laser or two to finish casts while avoiding ground AOEs. The hardest part is saving your flourish for after the big group 80% hit that he does - it doesn't hurt to have a competent team that is able to avoid ground aoe's and run in circles at the same time.
    If you're eating a laser to finish a cast, you're playing inefficiently, dangerously, and incorrectly. Your best bets are gratuitous use of Withering Vines and Void Life. Stay towards the leading edge, use Radiant Spores and Ruin when you need to catch up, Flourish *only* after the large AoE. Worry less about topping people off and more so about just keeping everyone in a safe zone. If someone dies, time your Battle res so that the laser has already passed by the time they load in. Use it directly after the AoE so they don't immediately die again.

In that fight as a chloro i rather relinquish MH to a ST cleric and i go support as aoe heals, it is much efficient and less painful and stressful on the group.

It is possible to MH but do not try if you want to avoid possible wipes and headaches.

Shadowlander

Thanks again for the detailed advice.

Thinking about this, do you think about a chloro/archon build to take advantage of both Consuming Flames (archon shield) and Purging Flames (to remove the Jagged Ice Shield) would be worthwhile for this fight?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Veramir View Post
    In that fight as a chloro i rather relinquish MH to a ST cleric and i go support as aoe heals, it is much efficient and less painful and stressful on the group.

It is possible to MH but do not try if you want to avoid possible wipes and headaches.
    Assume, for the sake of argument, that this isn't an option (as I faced yesterday, with no cleric in the party).

Default Chloro Main Healing Thoughts

I'm a firm believer that even with nerfs we can still solo heal all instances and expert rifts with bard support on only a few bosses (but again with competent dps and tanking you can even do away with the bard). As a qualifier to this post, using the tactics below I have solo healed the last boss of CC, AP, and DSM although none of these are dps checks so you should use a bard. The groups I did it with were exceptional at the mechanics (i.e. no one took excessive laser/lightning dmg in any of the fights) and in general solo healing is significantly difficult. Since 1.3 some of mobility issues have cropped up but here are some tips (particularly with AP and CC end bosses).

General mobility:
    1) Radiant spores - People overlook this so much yet it is a significant group healing spell even more so now that we are using LBV while main healing. It crits for 280 - 320 in t2 when you have rogues pounding away on the boss. So inside of 5 seconds you are healing each dps party member for about 600 - 800.

2) Ruin - it's not as powerful now with LBV up but still good. Soon after a boss does an aoe, chuck a ruin as it will buffer your group for the next set of heals. I see a lot of people with ruin in their normal nuke macro which will certainly up your hps for trash but for a boss the instant cast time is more important and it should be saved.

3) Flourish crits - with 51 in chloro we have increased crit chance on flourish but I see a lot of chloros flourishing immediately after a boss aoe and doing so often doesn't crit. If you chuck a Ruin first you significantly up your crit chance on flourish which is huge for the group heal. However, if Circle of Life isn't up 100% of the time as a 51 chloro then you are relying too much on Natural Healing and Bloom. Do more dmg and the times you do need to use a direct heal it will most likely crit.

Side note: Don't flourish if you don't need to. If your dps takes an aoe to the face cause they don't dodge right (or are stunned etc...) an immediate reaction is to flourish but if it's a one time aoe and they won't take damage following the initial blow you should save flourish and just void life stream them back to full. An example of this is the rock boss in DSM. Alot of time people fail dodge the cone aoe but most tanks get him back to the center ASAP and as such the dps doesn't take additional damage. So if they survive the initial blow you can just LBV+void life them up in two casts no need to waste a flourish cool down. Better to save flourish for when someone gets the dot and runs into everyone (happens more than you think).

4) Entropic Veil - with 10 into lock you can have this up 80% of the time...do this.

5) Know your cool down timings - Practicing knowing when to use bloom or flourish without their cool down being horrible for the group. This involves knowing the fight and applies most to people initially moving into position. You don't want to blow one of those heals setting up then needing one for a fight mechanic two seconds later.

Specific Fights:

Last boss AP:
    Disclaimer - A lot of healing troubles boil down to party members not dealing with mechanics. If you have dps taking 80 - 100k damage on this boss then it's not you it's them.

1) His aoe doesn't stun - May sound silly but you see people cancel casts when his aoe emote pops up. You can cast through it. So when you hear the aoe warning sound and see the emote run up to get space from the spinning laser and start your nature's touch cast such that it fires just after the aoe goes off. Then toss a ruin and flourish. This will take everyone from 20% to 80% and top everyone off if either NT or Flourish crits. Also remember that topping people off before his aoe is useless, it's a set percentage aoe.

2) Toggle armor to get opportunity proc - This is a more general tip but I use it on this fight. If you want an opportunity proc just spam your armor button (warlock or elem one). It's insta cast, takes little mana, is easy to cast on the run and gets you a free opportunity.

3) Save your big heals for the tank - Don't essence surge a dps here unless you really have to. The most dangerous part of this encounter is time right after the aoe as the tank often takes dmg from a whirlpool trying to get boss back. If you have opportunity after your group heal use natural healing BEFORE you bloom. This is true in general also, if you have opportunity and NT is on cooldown you should use NH over bloom.

4) Void life doesn't need to finish channeling - While running if you only have space for 2/3rds of a void life cast then by all means cast it. There's no harm in stopping it early.

Last Boss of CC:

1) LOS sucks here - When you get tossed back there are lots of wall features that los you from people so run towards the boss a bit after the toss back to be sure you have los to everyone you want to heal.

2) The toggle armor trick here is important - If you have opportunity up while you are in the air it is a life saver. Toggle armor while in the air and get a proc then wait till you get tossed and throw NT right after. Follow up with ruin and flourish.

3) Wild growth during add phase - It's cool down is almost perfect for this. Pop it first thing when you all group up to aoe adds.

4) Topping off matters here - Unlike AP this boss will one shot dps who take laser dmg leading up to throw. As was posted here earlier by people you see most dps and healers choosing not to dodge the laser with a "L2P get l33t gears wuss!" attitude to the damage. But if we have to blow a flourish to get them enough hps to survive the toss then it hurts us. When people refuse to dodge at least the first spin of the laser ( I have no problem taking the second one) I just use natural healing on them you can get two people in time. If three of them fail dodge the laser or run with it (happens a lot) well that's what brez is for I guess.

5) Stand away from everyone - This applies most in pugs. The stun and dot suck here so find a place away from the rest of the group. If two people get stunned and a third gets the dot but you get nothing that is a far superior situation than you getting a stun and no one getting the dot. For me I use a mouse over cleanse macro that makes stripping the dot easier. This fight is a great example where stripping the dot is more important than healing. Unless your tank has like 10% or fewer hps you need to cleanse the dot before healing people.

More Advanced Stuff:

1) Swap - Some may not consider this advanced but swapping LGV and LBV is the best way to maximize your situational healing. The biggest warning I would pair with this is do not swap to LGV when you need group healing switch before you need group healing. The cooldown to swap back to tank healing with LBV is long compared to the time we typically need to heal a group. So on CC and AP last bosses top off your tank, swap to LGV a good 5 seconds before you need group healing and just keep the tank up with direct heals if LGV isn't enough. Heal through the group dmg with void life, NT, etc... then swap back to LBV asap. If you wait till after the aoe to swap to LGV you may not get back to LBV in time. Swapping these two is the only realistic way to solo heal a pug on these bosses.

2) Gear - Consider getting healing Essences and Trinket. I haven't done this myself but having a second source with more +int (not that different from dps source but a lot of people like to stack +sp and +sc) and two greaters that trigger extra healing. Also, try to run DSM until you get the Eth trinket that procs a 600-800 heal on 3 people. I just got this a while ago and it procs all the time.

3) Try to use void life for a majority of your healing - This isn't some kind of ground breaking strat but with the changes in 1.3 we see chloros doing way more direct healing due to the fact that bloom and natural healing crit like a truck now. But using these spells a lot really distracts you from the point of the chloro passive healing. If you strive to use void life for most healing you will significantly increase your flexibility since your burst healing is always off cool down all at once and you can hit a NT, ruin, bloom, flourish when you need to.

4) Get a parser and use it - This will help you see if you aren't healing enough or if people are taking too much damage. I'm not gonna rant on it here but there are a lot of tunnel vision dps out there that fail dodge like fiends (they haven't gotten the raid progression lecture about damage avoidance =P). If you're wiping cause you or the tank die you need to think about what you can change. But if dps is dying to mechanics they can avoid (in the absence of lag, stun, etc...) and you are blowing big heals and rezzes on them routinely then you shouldn't beat yourself up.

These are just a few things I've been learning as I go along. One caveat is that I was above 800 SP before the 1.3 nerf(ish) which isn't huge but significant so I didn't have to heal my early t2 with LBV. Getting better gear helps a lot since we dps2hps (still). I don't have anything from GSB,GP, or RoS though so with that stuff I can't imagine how much easier it is (breaking 1000SP).

After 1.3 you don't see chloro main healing much because people don't want to deal with the stress and groups don't trust them. We can still do it we just have to do a lot more than we used to (I'll abstain from passing opinion on the 1.3 changes).

Gavorge
    -------------------------------------------
    50 - Mage - Luclin Guild Alsbeth
    "Me: Can I Kaboom face DPS?!?!?"
    "Raid: Gavo go chloro, level 48 warrior with blues go dps"

Shadowlander

Gavorge - thanks a ton. A lot to chew on, and some I'm doing already, but some stuff there I hadn't thought of or seen up-thread.

FWIW, I agree with you - I don't seem to have a problem keeping the tank up if my head is out of my 4th point of contact, and ditto for my DPS if they're paying attention. This has been true as a brand-new 50 in T1s, as it was - fight mechanics aside - in my first T2.

Being a chloromancer still seems to be entirely viable. Is it somewhat challenging, requiring more than pressing 1 or 2 buttons? Sure, but I like it that way. But then, my sanity is questionable for other reasons. ;)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Amerygn View Post
    Yesterday, my group ran into a roadblock in my first T2 instance - AP. Once we sorted out the fight mechanics we were OK until the final boss, Calyx the Ancient. Our group didn't have anyone who could purge the damage shield from him, which was part of the problem, but I also struggled with keeping the party healed while still dodging both the lasers and the maelstroms.

I know there's more mobile fights in the future, so I'm looking for tips not just on Calyx, but any other fights involving constant re-positioning.

FWIW, my group make-up yesterday was two warriors (one tank, one DPS as paragon), one rogue who went bard for the bosses (I had no issues healing the trash solo), and another mage who's spec I'm unsure of - seemed to be heavy warlock. I was using the standard 51 chloro / 10 warlock / 5 elementalist build, though I'm thinking of either switching out warlock for dominator or setting up another role with that build.
    I solo healed that fight a couple times since 1.3 and once you get the rhythm down, it's not too bad. Certainly keeps you on your toes, though!

Get Ruin in your macro. Use Bloom to keep people other than the tank up when they get hit. Save your "Oh Crap" 2 minute cooldown insta heal (Essence Surge?) for situations where you need to get someone up fast (next hit will kill them sort of thing). A big tip is to have the tank place him off-center. The lasers radiate from him to orbs that are a fixed spacing, so if the tank goes off-center, then one of the wedges of the pie is going to become much larger and will give you more room / flexibility to evade the circles on the ground. Run wherever there isn't "white death" on the ground, but make sure that you're on the outer edge of the circle before stopping to cast. Get your NT and Void Lifes out as best as possible before having to move again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast