Shadowlander

Default Awesome unique leveling spec: Pyro/Chloro

Every guide I read said the same thing for leveling:

Necromancer/Warlock

or

Pyromancer/Elementalist

or

Stormcaller/Elementalist

But to be honest, I really didn't want a pet. I also didn't feel my killing speed was really that good with any of these specs, I just had a pet to tank for me so it was easy. My first thought was deep Stormcaller and I would kite mobs. This worked alright but felt kind of clunky. Then I randomly tried something weird, and it works amazingly well. I am level 27 at the moment, and this is my spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRIs.xdb.ec0T0ucz

It is still a little clunky. In a few more levels Chloro will be fleshed out with 16 points, grabbing 3/3 Empowered Veil and 5/5 Circle of Life. This will give me Bloom, Flourish, and Ruin as instant cast healing spells.

Everytime I use one of these, it also procs Natural Awareness, increasing my spellpower and crit for 6 seconds.

The meat of the build is pure Pyromancer dps. With 100% spell pushback for Fireball and 90% mana reduction to fire spells for Smoldering Power, I can melt things all day long.

My basic rotation is Instant Cinder Burst > Inferno > Flame Bolt > Fireball. I mix in Bloom if I'm below 70% life. After I get more Chloro, I'll regularly mix in Ruin since it does damage, heals me, and procs 25% Int buff.

When I get 2 or more mobs, that is where the fun starts. I can just melt groups of mobs with Firestorm, and because I'm Chloro I can heal myself so I don't die. Taking 4 mobs at a time is pretty normal for me, and I think once I get more Chloro I will be able to do even more.

Just an interesting spec for leveling mages if having a pet doesn't appeal to you =)

Shadowlander

Oh also for the third spec Dominator or Archon are both good choices. I took dom because having squirrel is handy and I use Neural Prod to tag a bunch of mobs instant cast for AOEing down. Archon is probably better overall because you get an instant cast tagging move, an Endurance buff, and an INT/WIS buff. I'm actually thinking of switching out to Archon.

+ Reply to Thread