+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low rank spells? Is there any way to get access to it?

Plane Touched

Default Low rank spells? Is there any way to get access to it?

Hi all,

Is there anyway i can get access to low rank spells.
    For example I was using Rank 1 Storm Shackle for a while and it did some decent damage. Once i returned to mage trainer, i noticed that it had 6 ranks. Well without thinking twice, i bought all ranks and though the damage will be much higher now.
    It wasn't the case, the storm shackle damage was about the same and didn't notice much difference.

We should have an option to use low rank spells, so we can save on mana.

Quote Originally Posted by killthedesires View Post
    Hi all,

For example I was using Rank 1 Storm Shackle for a while and it did some decent damage. Once i returned to mage trainer, i noticed that it had 6 ranks. Well without thinking twice, i bought all ranks and though the damage will be much higher now.
    It wasn't the case, the storm shackle damage was about the same and didn't notice much difference.

Doubt this will be in the future. Especially sounds abusable with pyromancer since its fireball magically increases to 2.5 second cast time at like rank 5 or 6 I know a few pyros who'd like 1.6 second pyros at the loss of like 100 base damage
    Last edited by wallweasels; 07-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by wallweasels View Post
    Doubt this will be in the future. Especially sounds abusable with pyromancer since its fireball magically increases to 2.5 second cast time at like rank 5 or 6 I know a few pyros who'd like 1.6 second pyros at the loss of like 100 base damage
    Hah, now im curious if you really would lose dps by training your higher rank spells, that'd be a pretty massive oversight by trion... anyone feel like rerolling and powerleveling a mage to test it?

Quote Originally Posted by Guaritor View Post
    Hah, now im curious if you really would lose dps by training your higher rank spells, that'd be a pretty massive oversight by trion... anyone feel like rerolling and powerleveling a mage to test it?
    Doubt youd gain any dps outside of fireball as its the only skill with a cast increase. Ill make sure to test it on the pts though once th leveler is back up :P
    Last edited by wallweasels; 07-05-2011 at 06:35 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Ascendant

You cannot go back. Only sideways every patch.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Guaritor View Post
    With how scaling in this game works, I actually think it would be a dps gain to not train fireball and use the faster cast time one. If a lot of people started doing it I'm sure it would get nerfed/fixed, but at the moment I think it would be a dps gain yes.

Edit: Especially considering you would get more instant cast Cinderbursts and have a higher uptime on stacking Combust procs.
    Last edited by Goodtank; 07-05-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Plane Touched

I'd like to unlearn all my ranks of Mana Wrench...

I kept training it up thinking "Oh it might do some meaningful damage now" but instead it still does bugger all, but now costs me more mana to cast! Yey!

Why any mana regen abilities actually cost mana to use I have no idea... (Note: This isn't the only one, Clerics get a few with a mana cost on them)
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

my mage is still 29, what lvl does the fireball speed increase? it wont take but a week to lvl to 50 if i were to test this.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    my mage is still 29, what lvl does the fireball speed increase? it wont take but a week to lvl to 50 if i were to test this.
    It increases before level 29. I feel like it was around level 20.

To clarify, the early ranks have a cast time of 2.0 seconds, reduced to 1.6 with Ignition. At some point around level 20, a rank increases the cast time to 2.5 seconds, reduced to 2.0 with Ignition.
    Last edited by Goodtank; 07-05-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtank View Post
    It increases before level 29. I feel like it was around level 20.
    damn, already maxed professions on that toon too, not going to delete.
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™

damn, already maxed professions on that toon too, not going to delete.
    Not sure if it's before or after. Just notice of your fireball is 1.6s or 2s when using the 25% faster cast trait. You can tell when the cast time increases by checking the next ranks of fireball

Quote Originally Posted by wallweasels View Post
    Not sure if it's before or after. Just notice of your fireball is 1.6s or 2s when using the 25% faster cast trait. You can tell when the cast time increases by checking the next ranks of fireball
    pretty sure it has been 2s for awhile, i use pyro in pvp and lvl'd to 29 doing nothing but pvp and professions.

edit: since i have a 2nd account i can power level with i may lvl up a new mage from scratch just to see lol. not much else to do with my free time so why not?
    Last edited by Hokonoso; 07-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by killthedesires View Post
    Hi all,

apparently not...I looked before when I was working on a trap to set a lvl 4 pet flagged for PvP mode in the "Stay" position..then when a lesser toon aggro'd him because they are higher rank easy one time kill....then I would hunt down the pet killer with vengeance.

I can't get a pet less than 30

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    I'd like to unlearn all my ranks of Mana Wrench...

I kept training it up thinking "Oh it might do some meaningful damage now" but instead it still does bugger all, but now costs me more mana to cast! Yey!

Why any mana regen abilities actually cost mana to use I have no idea... (Note: This isn't the only one, Clerics get a few with a mana cost on them)
    I used to have a low rank of mana wrench but I noticed I was capped at how much I could drain after a recent patch, so I maxed it.

Ascendant

I think rank 1 is the last rank at 1.6, each rank after that increases by .1 if I recall till it maxes out.

+ Reply to Thread