+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mages in PvP

Soulwalker

Default Mages in PvP

Alright, I'll assume most of you probably think it's just another QQ thread, and I assure you, it's not. Honestly it's more of a 'What am I doing wrong' type of thread and I'll give you some examples. I need a PvP spec because so far none of these have been exactly what I've wanted. Maybe nothing will turn out to be exactly what I want, but it doesn't hurt to try I suppose.

1st: 26 Chloro/35Lock/5AM

I mainly set this up as sort of a support healer, obviously most of the lock talents are simply buffs for the chloro tree. I mainly attack with Ruin//Vile Spores//Nature's Touch etc, with heal and flourish as backups, and incase I really need to beat down an enemy, I'll throw on dark touch or Neddra's grasp. This seems to work fairly well, as it balances damage and survival. I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like it's almost a waste to go more than 5/10 into AM. Anyone thoughts on this?

2nd: 44Chloro/17Lock/5AM or 51Chloro/10Lock/5AM

These two I really have trouble with. It's the same concept as the first, simply with more points in Chloro for added healing purposes. My issues here are synthesis (what's the point of a buff like this, other than Black Garden, or Whitefall Steppes?) and LINGERING WOUNDS. I simply can't get around Lingering wounds without getting entirely annihilated. Which brings me into the next build.

3rd: 29Dom/32Pyro/5AM or (More Usually) 29Dom/32Chloro/5AM

This works pretty well 1v1, but other than that I feel pretty useless in WF's. Squirrel usually gets ruined by some scrub attacking it, My Death's Edict and Storm shackle almost always seem to get interrupted as well. A lot of the time it seems like im running off of Ruin//Bloom//Flourish//Lifegiving Essence? and Mana Wrench, as well as Tranference. Needless to say, I pull pretty low numbers on the damage charts, as well as a poor KD, Since most the time I'm targeted by the opposing team.

4th: 8Ele/42Lock/16AM

This is my new one that I tried out because I saw the post on another thread with this build. I think it's pretty cool, but there's little to no survival except for the Lock talents (Rune Shield never seems to work well for me? :\ ) It's very glass cannon-esk and seems to almost be deficient without a pocket healer, as I said last time, I'm very often targeted haha.

5. 21Nec/40Lock/5AM

Back to the basics. This build is alright, nothing super amazing but certainly nothing bad. I pull seemingly decent numbers with this build but it's quite boring and incredibly linear in my opinion.

Once again, I'm not trying to QQ I'm simply requesting some suggestions. I'm looking for anything to be honest, something that pulls good numbers with some survival. Maybe even some CC from Dom. Also, I'd like to add that I'm only rank 4.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read the whole thing.

Fik
    Rift Chaser

In the same boat as you. I find all of the souls are really hard to work with in PVP. The fact you almost must have AM 5 pts peeves me right off. Really wish it was some sort of realm ranking thing you spent points on.
    Last edited by Fik; 07-04-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Soulwalker

Yea.... :\

Soulwalker

I'm also in this boat, i've tried 6 specs now trying to find something i enjoyed playing. 51 Dominator was fun but a quarter of the way through a round i would start getting solo'ed by warriors or rogues and was worthless because of no survivability. I used a 51 point chloro for group healing and had an ok time with that but had the same issue of being so squishy that eventually i would just get focused by one warrior or one rogue and was back to being worthless. Dots in no way match the burst other classes can do to me, they take wayyyy too long to ramp up when a warrior is wrecking you and combined with the lack luster survivability you cant live long enough to compete with their burst.

I think i would enjoy a spec that did one thing extremely well and that was all. even in deep chloro i get out healed by clerics. Pre 1.3 pyro was fun, it was nice to feel that i could kill someone when i got the jump on them but would typically die when they jumped me. Just as your team wont do well when they don't kill healers first they also wouldn't survive if they didn't kill the squishy standing in the big, obvious circle of fire.

So anyone have any magic spec or rotation for something that either does one thing well or does one thing just well enough to make the other team want to kill you... and then have to use more than auto attacks to do so?
    Last edited by Standstowipe; 07-04-2011 at 08:54 PM.

32chloromancer/32warlock/2archmage or archon

use your more instant cast spells during this fight be sure to snag a lot of the 1 pt warlock abilities like shadow life and neddra's essence, and direct heals in chloro (you won't really need synthesis or its upgrades). Gear up with valor, and sacred heirloom of the eth if you have it and use lgv over lbv (torture is not that useful, and the spell crit isn't too bad to take points out of too for other things).
    Dark Touch to Neddra's Grasp to Radiate Death against groups plus the 1.5s Nature's Fury can go a long way. Also use Ruin and Draining Bolt for burst dmg along with the dots and natures fury. Nature's touch and vile spores aren't as useful in the rotation inc dmg means they get pushbacked a lot or interrupted and they make you less mobile, although I would recommend natures touch if you are fairly unobstructed and you want to group heal or if you get an opportunity proc it can be good burst dmg.
    Focus most of your self healing with direct heals like bloom, flourish, essence surge and use neddra's essence, shadow life, and mortality as emergency moves, for mortality try to move into enemies when you use it and try to space out their use don't blow them all together.
    Against healers get them about 1/2 or 2/3ds of the way down and use choke to silence and then burst them down the remaining way. Against stealth rogues be ready to heal up and possibly use neddra's essence on the initial burst- corruption is great for rooting out stealth and for keeping them from reentering it, and mortality is also really good in this fight as well to finish up the fight (and against multiple opponents)- stream of reclamation- if it hits it will keep hitting them for the full duration even if they get around you, against warriors use wither and try to kite them enough while hitting htem with dots/ruin/bolt and nature's fury to space out dmg so your direct heals can keep you up, and finish off with mortality when you build up charge.

IDK just my thoughts, but I feel this is a really** strong build atm if you learn to work around it :/ def capable of getting top dmg and healing in fights.
    Last edited by Inixia; 07-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Soulwalker

Atm I'm working on a 10Dom/38Chloro/18AM spec, probably changed to 16Dom/32Chloro/18AM or 18Dom/32Chloro/16AM

+ Reply to Thread