+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] 1.3 Mage PvP

Rift Master

Default [Guide] 1.3 Mage PvP

The changes pushed through in 1.3 for Mages make a comprehensive guide pretty easy in regards to viable options for Warfronts. I'll go through some options and specs, most of which are centred around at least rank 4. I'll add some info for fresh 50 mages at the end.

Mages don't have the same ability to chain together skills into Macros as other callings, but there are some skills that make life in PvP a lot easier when they're on a mouseover Macro. An example of this is

#show Detaunt
    cast @mouseover Detaunt

Which will enable Detaunt to be cast on whatever you hold your mouse over without target switching, i.e, that assassin that just opened up on you from stealth.

This requires you to have skills bound to hotkeys. It is very important to rebind your keys if you want to have any success in any PvP game.

Essentially you have two choices in regards to being an asset to your team and not be a waste of a player slot. Be a Dominator. Or be a Chloromancer. Or be a mixture of both.

If you absolutely, positively, MUST play a pure damage role Mage, then play a 51 Warlock/15 Archmage.

Damage builds.

51 Warlock / 15 Archmage /0 Archon

This build is pretty simple and straightforward, there isn't really anything complicated around the damage dealing mechanic and it doesn't skimp on the crowd control and defensive cooldowns. Where the skill in the class lies is the judgment on when to blow Empowered Darkness and what to do with it when you use it.

What you need to know about DoT effects in Rift. When a DoT skill is applied, it takes a 'snapshot' of your current stats and damage modifiers, and applies those modifiers to every ongoing tick of the DoT effect until is falls off or is refreshed. I.E, if you cast Dark Touch just as Empowered Darkness is about to run out of charge, every tick of Dark Touch will gain or retain +75% damage.

Thus you can use Empowered Darkness with Defile, cast Defile while ED is on, immediately turn off ED, and cast some strong charge gaining skills to make sure your souped up Defile doesn't end early due to charge reaching zero.

Devouring Shadows: One of your main skills, and it's important to know how to 'stopcast' it to maximize DPS. Devouring shadows ticks immediately on application, and stopcasting is cutting off the channel and recasting so that every second tick hits for 'double', at the expense of more Mana. Stopcasting also enables easy repositioning too, so that you can follow a target.

Stopping the cast can be done by moving, or by the following Macro

#show Devouring Shadows
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Devouring Shadows

Bursting in this spec involves following up a cast nuke with traveltime (Void Bolt) with an instant faster skill like Draining Bolt or Devouring Shadows, under the influence of Empowered Darkness.

Mouseover Macros for this spec should be at least Detaunt, Fear, Wither, and Choke.

Chloromancer Builds

Builds that focus on Chloromancer generally focus on constant cheap aoe healing on the raid, some assist damage, while using Bloom to spot heal. Learn when to use your Bloom and who to use it on, be a good judge of when to best employ Wild Growth, and you will turn the tide.

38 Chloromancer / 10 Dom / 18 Archmage

This build gives you everything needed to be a functional Healer from the Chloro tree, plus picks up the useful/essential tools in the first 10 points of Dominator (Deny!) and Hastened Withdrawl + Overload from the Archmage tree, enabling you to escape melee trains and boosting your main spam skill, Nature's Fury.

Skills on Mouseover should be Deny, Detaunt, Bloom, and Nature's Cleansing. Use Deny to neuter dangerous Dominator debuffs, Saboteurs, and DoT based classes.

51 Chloromancer / 10 Warlock / 5 Archmage

This build gives you a stronger ability to single target heal. Opportunity can allow instant Natural Healing casts, you have a decent Mana regen, and more charge, but lose your kiting ability.

Dominator Builds

Generally the points in these builds are a little bit more flexible. The first 28 points go into Dominator like so.

28 Dom / X / X

From there it's highly recommended to pick up Traitorous Influence for 3 more points. When combining with Chloro, you can do a full 51 Dom and the rest into Chloro for Bloom, put a full 31 into Chloro to get Essence surge, or go halfway into Chloro for Raised in nature and then the usual points in the left hand side of the Archmage tree.

When combining Dominator/Chloro, you want to Macro the offcooldown Lifegiving Veil to skills like Traitorous Influence, e.g

#show Traitorous Influence
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Lifegiving Veil
    cast Traitorous Influence

This ensures it gets the Natural Awareness modifier and drains more mana. Or, you can link it to Storm Shackle.

On mouseover, you want/need to have Transference, Transmogrify, Bloom, Deny, Cleanse, and natural Conversion all set up for mouseover casting.

Non Rank 4 PvP

Generally what I recommend is changing up some of the above builds for that extra survivability, though you will still be pretty soft unfortunately until you rank up. Picking up the 10% Damage mitigation from 10 points in Elementalist can artificially inflate your effective Valor reduction.

DPS:

51 Warlock / 10 Elementalist / 5 Arcgmage

Chloromancer, same as above but swap 51 Warlock for 51 Chloro.

For Dominator/Chloro, use a 31/31 split or the 51/15 Chloro build.

Soulwalker

Hmm. I really like this thread.

So far I've had reasonable success with the 10Dom/38Chloro//18AM spec

Though, Couldn't it be better to run something like a 16 or 18 Dom/32 Chloro/16 or 18 AM?
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by AnAcuteAngle; 07-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.

This is a nice thread with a positive attitude.

However, in my experience (Rank 3 going to 4), I find that if my Break Free is on CD, and a rogue opens on me or a warrior charges me, I usually die within the span of one or two CCs without being able to do anything.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage
    PVP 5/8, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, GSB 5/5, ROS 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

I am running 28 dom/33 chloro/5 archmage:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...o.MciurkoMbz.x

I made this build on a whim the other day, but it is pretty decent healer/cc/burst.
    The build was only made because my pyro/ele wasn't cutting it for some dualing, I found that my cd's were functionally ineffective versus well geared and built paragons and immunity rogues.

So this build takes advantage of buying time to burst them back.

Best tools transference and mana wrench. Mana wrench essentilly buys 7-8 seconds of survivability. Giving time to cast some heals or damage spells.

Paragon is stupid damage atm, so if u see a two-handed warrior blazing in, hit them with transference right asap, it will probably save that players life. Atm well geared weapon wise paragon burst as hard as a pyro before 1.3 and when they pop their cd's.

Squirrel is the bread and butter of cc, squirrel some1 and if they break squirrel some1 else, pass the love around.

The build mainly uses insta casts because you have to be on the move.

Only none insta casts spells are Vile Spore, Death's Edict, Storm Shackles, and Wild Growth (use very often).

The build is very situational, and experience helps.Potentially this build can easily take down 2 or 3 players because of squirrel, transference on war/rogue, and popping Split Personality and attacking the non-cc'd player. In addition, like the posts above, detuant helps alot as well.

The build has alot of utility like arresting presence as well, it can be useful in buying time to kill or protect split personality. Split personality can be removed or debuffed off.

I dont come in no.1 or even close, but it is because you are busy cc'n players out of a fight. Healing wise I am usually near the top. With less valor and gear, it is best to stay back, I am a bit gun-ho because very few builds can win a 1v1 fight versus this build and with my gear.

You basically have to stick with some dps or have split personality off of cooldown to kill players quickly. Or else its going to be a long fight.

Sorry for the random banter, but I am not great at explaining things. Experience, and looking over the spell options will help to make the build effective. Dualing is probably the best way to learn this spec.
    Doesn't matter what rank or skill they are are, dualing is great to know what your spec can do, and waht it cannot. Also, gives you an idea of what you can get away with doing.

I only use one crappy macro, but mouseover macro's from the OP are great to have as well:
    #show Ruin
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ruin
    cast Vile Spores

I only use the one macro because I am low on space and don't have enough room because of pve specs.

Side note:My mage is rank 6 with 39% damage reduction worth of valor, and 6.8k hitpoints with the Stormguard shield trinket and hp/resist rune on a one-hander when playing this spec.

The burst isnt super amazing, but its enough that some players would be surprised and dead (healing debuff helps).

yes, the build has a synth option, if you find a good dps, sythn them. A little bit of healing can go a long way. Sure they might die alot more, but meh you'll be alive and kicking still.

I enjoy survivability, dps burst, and mobility. So I try to cast on the move as much as possible, and survive when I have aggro. If I don't have any attention, I plant my feet and try be as effective as possible (bursting, healing, cc, debuffing, etc.).

For low geared players- hit points and shield trinkets are amazing for pvp.Break free wont always be off CD, so having endurance runes or the rune on your main hander helps.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnAcuteAngle View Post
    Hmm. I really like this thread.

So far I've had reasonable success with the 10Dom/38Chloro//18AM spec

Though, Couldn't it be better to run something like a 16 or 18 Dom/32 Chloro/16 or 18 AM?
    Just a thought.
    Something like this?

It could. You get a little more survivability and utility with instant transmog, transference, and silence, void shroud, and give up 20% damage on crits, 10% crit chance and 6% healing on bloom/flourish and your debuff doesn't strip HoTs.

I wouldn't say it's wrong by any means, and Dom/Chloro builds have a lot of scope for flexibility. I do like my 18 points in Archmage though, as maxed Overload and Hastened Withdrawl are very strong skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Atavus View Post
    This is a nice thread with a positive attitude.

However, in my experience (Rank 3 going to 4), I find that if my Break Free is on CD, and a rogue opens on me or a warrior charges me, I usually die within the span of one or two CCs without being able to do anything.
    As a Rank 6 fully geared some players hit me like trucks out of Stealth and on the charge, so I can only imagine the pain of lower ranks in dealing with these crazy Paragon FoTM builds.

All I can advise is try to pick a build with at least one, preferably two health boost/mitigation skills from Raised in Nature, Vitality, and Elemental link. Run a full set of Valor gear even if it's completely P1 and P2 stuff. You can pick up additional Valor from the PvP source engine, and a +50 chest rune.

When you get jumped, mash either Mass Fear, mouseover Transference/Transmogrify, or cast@ self Bloom and immediately begin kiting. Practice jump-kiting, which is where you jump, spin mouse to gain line of sight and fire off an instant, and hit the ground running in your initial direction.

At low levels run with the group. Don't run behind the group either, that makes you a big target. Help out other players with heals and CC's. If you get known by others as that player that healed them with a crit Bloom, or squirreled/drained the warrior bullrushing them, some (sadly not all) will begin to look out for you too.

Plane Walker

Pretty sad how dps mages are getting the short end. I'd prefer way more the old Elem/SC/AM (pre 1.3) than dom/chloro now, as survival/dot builds don't do that good in a team play...

@ Mezkh .. ty for the tips .. I already tried all that (except for additional Valor runes, as I am saving them for higher rank gear and I'm kinda short on Favor) . I have been PVPing for a long time (was old-school Hunter in WoW, master of jump shot ), and many of those old tricks still have a place in Rfit.

And it's true, as long as I am with the pack, and no one targets me, I'm ok. But once someone has me in their eyesight, there isn't much I can do. This happens especially if the other team marks me as a threat.

Another thing to note is, many times the groups are "stupid", especially in instances like Codex, where everyone just rushes Codex point constantly, leaving other points unchecked. And since no one listens to common-sense anymore, I am usually forced to try to cap points solo, which puts me in a huge disavantage 95% of the time.
    Last edited by Atavus; 07-05-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage
    PVP 5/8, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, GSB 5/5, ROS 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

Great thread. The 38 Chloro/10 Dom/18 AM seems interesting.

I'm surprised there isn't a Chloro/Warlock version, especially for those at lower ranks. Wither is a decent enough kiting tool and Neddra's Essence/Shadow Life are decent CD's if you're not getting trained by a MM.

Looking forward to the discussion this thread brings!
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Rift Disciple

Chloro / lock / AM Offensive build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kqqxo.qdI00h.E

You only struggle with Warden Clerics, Nightblades and Warriors with that stupid ****** AoE heal debuff. Although you can directly counter The warrior Heal debuff by popping shadow life before they apply it. You will then win 90% of the time.

Standard rotation maximises on Dot damage with some nice burst from Ruin -> Draining -> Lethargy / Stream.

Detaunt / Break free are no brainers.

I am currently Rank two with this build and can confidently say I will use it all the way. There will be slight variations as I progress through the ranks. And once I have R 6 I might swap AM for archon, grab the extra dot / + health, and then pickup mass fear in Lock.

Its not a very bursty spec, More a CC / Wear you down spec. You should win 95% of your 1v1s and 80% of your 2v1s. 50% of your 3v1s if they dont have a heal debuff. (All Soul specific though)

You are missing a Heal debuff, which is the only real downside of this spec apart from the lack of Hard burst.

With all the talk about mage PvP souls the above listed ones are nice, and easy for anyone to use. Especially the Lock builds. Lock is one of those PvP builds where you can macro most skills and fight everyone close to the same way.

You don't see too many pyros anymore, although still valuable as high single target DPS.

The most valuable PvP soul for a mage after 1.3 is Dominator, at minimum 20 points to get incompetence, which is a great skill. Traitorous Influence is the new QQ for mages. It does no less than... dominate

And since the change to Microburst in Dom, the new "1-shot" class is SC/Dom, storm shackle does more damage than the old pyro's qq-1shot, because it now does double damage naturally via 1.3, and coupled with SC's air damage boosts, it's almost triple damage if you 3-charge, ice sheer (+42% air dmg), static flux (20%), then stormshackle someone. If you have the 440 crit trinket and a high base crit, you'll usually see 1-2 of the bursts crit as well.

It's a pretty popular class at least in my crew

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    With all the talk about mage PvP souls the above listed ones are nice, and easy for anyone to use. Especially the Lock builds. Lock is one of those PvP builds where you can macro most skills and fight everyone close to the same way.

You don't see too many pyros anymore, although still valuable as high single target DPS.

The most valuable PvP soul for a mage after 1.3 is Dominator, at minimum 20 points to get incompetence, which is a great skill. Traitorous Influence is the new QQ for mages. It does no less than... dominate

And since the change to Microburst in Dom, the new "1-shot" class is SC/Dom, storm shackle does more damage than the old pyro's qq-1shot, because it now does double damage naturally via 1.3, and coupled with SC's air damage boosts, it's almost triple damage if you 3-charge, ice sheer (+42% air dmg), static flux (20%), then stormshackle someone. If you have the 440 crit trinket and a high base crit, you'll usually see 1-2 of the bursts crit as well.

It's a pretty popular class at least in my crew
    You'll start to see the value of MB and TI diminish as more and more people play Dominator. Not because of clerics knowing when to cleanse, but the sheer volume of Dominators knowing what it can do will start denying/nature's cleansing others. I'm much more aware of when someone else has those debuffs on and as soon as I see Storm Shackle, Void Shroud, Incomp, MB or TI go up it's coming off. The only thing that protects it truly are the lock/dom specs that bring all of the dots to buffer the cleanse in which case having a dom on your side deny them is even more important.

I've gone to my Chloro/Lock spec with all of the new Doms running around and once you've become accustomed to cleansing yourself and others you really begin to neuter the effectiveness of the Dom specs. Combine that with someone who can purge SP and a Dom is only as useful as his/her secondary soul. A well played Dom is tough to fight, but that goes both ways. Two well played opposing dom's will shut each other out.

Soulwalker

What is your opinion on 51Pyro/10Warlock/5Archmage?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryusun View Post
    What is your opinion on 51Pyro/10Warlock/5Archmage?

PVP specs need to be at minimum one of four things to function well:
    1. Burst
    2. Control
    3. Survivability
    4. Mobility

The one thing to gain from going that deep into Pyro was burst. You lose out on alot of control and survivability. The question remaining is there enough burst left in that spec to make up for its deficiencies. I don't think there is. 51 Pyro/15 AM up to Overload/0 arch might be better to try and achieve the burst aspect, but I still think it's lacking in punch to survive on its own. Now, that's not to say the spec(s) won't do well in a premade or with friends (but that can be said about almost anything).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrial View Post
    PVP specs need to be at minimum one of four things to function well:
    1. Burst
    2. Control
    3. Survivability
    4. Mobility

The one thing to gain from going that deep into Pyro was burst. You lose out on alot of control and survivability. The question remaining is there enough burst left in that spec to make up for its deficiencies. I don't think there is. 51 Pyro/15 AM up to Overload/0 arch might be better to try and achieve the burst aspect, but I still think it's lacking in punch to survive on its own. Now, that's not to say the spec(s) won't do well in a premade or with friends (but that can be said about almost anything).
    I'll try that out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrial View Post
    You'll start to see the value of MB and TI diminish as more and more people play Dominator. Not because of clerics knowing when to cleanse, but the sheer volume of Dominators knowing what it can do will start denying/nature's cleansing others. I'm much more aware of when someone else has those debuffs on and as soon as I see Storm Shackle, Void Shroud, Incomp, MB or TI go up it's coming off. The only thing that protects it truly are the lock/dom specs that bring all of the dots to buffer the cleanse in which case having a dom on your side deny them is even more important.

I've gone to my Chloro/Lock spec with all of the new Doms running around and once you've become accustomed to cleansing yourself and others you really begin to neuter the effectiveness of the Dom specs. Combine that with someone who can purge SP and a Dom is only as useful as his/her secondary soul. A well played Dom is tough to fight, but that goes both ways. Two well played opposing dom's will shut each other out.
    A lot of what you said is correct. There's always a rock to someone's scissors. And in your case, you have a good way to battle a full point Dom...

Most Dom's I run with are secondaries, usually 20 pts for incompetence. I have SC/Dom, and 3 PvP specs I have run. Right now in 1v1's, my SC/Dom is the most destructive against other mages. Reflective command can really ruin anyone's day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast