+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new to game, is it true

Soulwalker

Default new to game, is it true

hello, im new to this game , bought it 7/1. i was leveling a mage(19) becuase i like the idea of a high dps magic class.

i learned though the general chat on my server that the mage class is actualy bottom rung for dps, is this true?

if so what class would be a good pick if dps is my first desire?

There is still some debate on just how badly mages fall short on dps among the different callings (some of it can be attributed to differences among players, but, I admit, not all).

However, whoever occupies King of the Bottom of dps usually changes patch to patch, so it may likely change by the time you hit 50 (or not).

All I will say for certain, is as a mage, you will have to hit a couple more buttons (usually) to deal dps to your highest potential than those other callings.

There are still mages out their holding their own in dps, and my hope is with the release of Hammerknell, we will climb up a bit on the ladder, due to the higher tier of gear, and the fact that spellpower scales better than attack power.

If you want to know a little bit more about the end game specs that tend to be popular here, some people made some good guides. Check out Bluedot's, for example (www.bluedots.org). I won't say take what he writes as bible, but the dude seems to have a clue.
    Last edited by LemmingOfEvil; 07-04-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    Experience debt is merely a gauge to show how much Awesome I'm generating.

Play what you feel is the most fun for you. If you go by what the flavor of the month is or what the "cool kids" are doing you will always feel as if your missing out on something, since you might be playing a class that is not really what you want. In the end the four classes have a million ways that they can be played and that is the beauty of RIFT.

Seriously, be careful of reading these forums and take everything with a grain of salt. Most people on here are just posting what they love about the game and/or what builds they really are liking, however, some of the loudest and trolling posters are not necessarily the majority of the various class communities or of RIFT itself.

Hope you have fun with whatever you choose,
    ~Wyrmcrawler
    Last edited by Wyrmcrawler; 07-04-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Wyrmcaller- Guardian Mage (Harrow)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcrawler View Post
    Play what you feel is the most fun for you. If you go by what the flavor of the month is or what the "cool kids" are doing you will always feel as if your missing out on something, since you might be playing a class that is not really what you want. In the end the four classes have a million ways that they can be played and that is the beauty of RIFT.

Seriously, be careful of reading these forums and take everything with a grain of salt. Most people on here are just posting what they love about the game and/or what builds they really are liking, however, some of the loudest and trolling posters are not necessarily the majority of the various class communities or of RIFT itself.

Hope you have fun with whatever you choose,
    ~Wyrmcrawler
    your name.. are you ghostcrawlers brother hmm?
    Hurry to Meet Death Before Your Place is Taken

Quote Originally Posted by tuggernuts View Post
    hello, im new to this game , bought it 7/1. i was leveling a mage(19) becuase i like the idea of a high dps magic class.

i learned though the general chat on my server that the mage class is actualy bottom rung for dps, is this true?

if so what class would be a good pick if dps is my first desire?
    Mages have more swagger then any other calling.

Based on the current patch... I would suggest going either rogue or cleric. Both classes are currently more desirable in end-game content.

I've mained a mage since beta, and in their current state mages are no where near as fun or as useful as my alts (rogue + cleric). That's sad considering up until 1.3, my mage was my favorite.

Trion changes their mind every 2 weeks anyway... so by the time you hit 50 as a mage we will likely have a tank spec, absolutely no dps, but be able to ride dragons and force enemies to /dance.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryNerfedMage View Post
    Based on the current patch... I would suggest going either rogue or cleric. Both classes are currently more desirable in end-game content.
    That is true, except in all current end game content.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    That is true, except in all current end game content.
    if i was completely happy with my main class, i wouldnt be on here posting on all the threads where others are not happy. I really do wonder the motive of people like you.

Plane Touched

I've mained a mage since beta, and in their current state mages are no where near as fun or as useful as my alts (rogue + cleric). That's sad considering up until 1.3, my mage was my favorite.

Trion changes their mind every 2 weeks anyway... so by the time you hit 50 as a mage we will likely have a tank spec, absolutely no dps, but be able to ride dragons and force enemies to /dance.
    OP here is a piece of free advice, just look at this guys name and then you will know how much faith to put in what he says.

The truth RIGHT NOW is this:

-Mages are harder to DPS with than other classes requiring more buttons in the rotation to keep up decent DPS.

-Parses have shown we are doing 10% - 15% less DPS than other classes (except for 1 gimmicky spec)

-Right now, we have a HUGE number of whiny, childish, self centered, morons that frequent our forums and cry like 3 year olds. But we also have some really top notch people.

-That the best lessons in life are learned from history and historically how powerful a class in an MMO is is cyclical and although mages are "slightly" underpowered as a whole right now after the next patch they could be gods walking the virtual planet.

We are only 4 months into this game being liveand have had 3 major patches, in 30 days everything will change again most likely. Play what you have fun playing and don't listen to the "The Sky is Falling" idiots.
    Last edited by Raduk; 07-04-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Rift Disciple

keep leveling, 1.4 things will get better for us mages.
    Tankalron :: Fires of Heaven :: Deepwood (US) Defiant

Bluedot, your gross complacency about the mage class isn't helpful. Our dps isn't in a good place. It's important to be honest about this, and stop pretending everything is just peachy keen. It's not.

Stick to guides, you do those well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankalron View Post
    keep leveling, 1.4 things will get better for us mages.
    Yes, this is the main thing. Everything changes each patch. Nobody can accuse Trion of sitting on its hands and not taking chances. So whatever the situation is today, it won't be lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    Bluedot, your gross complacency about the mage class isn't helpful.
    You are right, it is not helpful to you. The constant whining of terrible mages, who thankfully makeup a very small portion of the population, is not helpful to me. I have many legitimate problems with the mage class, unfortunately they are drowned out by bad players.

The facts:

Mage healers are required, or incredibly helpful, in every end game encounter.
    Mage DPS can top the meters in more then 25% of the end game encounters.
    Mage rotations range from simple to complex.

I honestly don't understand what you want from mages. They need tweaking, and forever will, but what is going on in the mage forums is not helpful to anyone.. It is just loud noise that is almost always completely wrong.

I keep forgetting that bluedot speaks for all mages. Individually we are not allowed to have opinions.

I keep forgetting that bluedot speaks for all mages. Individually we are not allowed to have opinions.
    See that it doesn't happen again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast