+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh 50 PvP spec

Rift Disciple

Default Fresh 50 PvP spec

Any suggestions on specs for a fresh 50? Looking to make a decent contribution while farming to P6.

First off, as I'm sure you know, as a fresh 50 you're going to get stream rolled. That aside, I'd say avoid heavy Warlock specs because you won't have the spell power to do much damage with them until you have more gear. If I were a fresh 50 in 1.3, I'd probably go 51 dom and drop cc whenever possible. Insta squirrel is awesome for temporarily taking someone out of the game or to stop a crucial enemy heal from going off at last minute. Traitorous Influence + Mass Betrayal will mana drain whole groups and do pretty good damage. Arresting Presence will also allow your group to kill healers. Oh yeah, Storm Shackle is awesome and might get you some kills.

Also, replace your blues/greens with r1/r2 gear as fast as you can. The stuff costs very little favor, and it's a huge upgrade over quest gear. You might want to pick up a Blood Grove Staff (I think that's what it's called). They're usually less than 10p on the AH, and it'll last you until you can get the r4 staff.
    Bombs - <Banished> - Defiant - Dayblind
    Numbers - Guardian - Deepstrike

Rift Disciple

Dom was my first notion what with the 1.3 buffs, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of abilities. I've seen some chlorolock specs that have great survivability. How effective could I be with something like that?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Draconigena III View Post
    Dom was my first notion what with the 1.3 buffs, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of abilities. I've seen some chlorolock specs that have great survivability. How effective could I be with something like that?
    just go dom, stick to port and codex..you don't wanna go BG or Steppes

find a healer and follow them, and attack whoever the War is attacking...until you get better stuff

Plane Walker

sorry Ill try to explain:

your spell power isn't enough to take out higher ranked players

you will become very frustrated trying to bomb or hurt someone who shrugs off your attacks and 1-2-3 deads you. You will quit being a mage or you will come back here and start "Mages are underpowered" or "<insert class that killed you> are OP" or "I'm quitting"threads.

Dominator and archon help in that their abilities are not primarily about dmg....CC's, debuffs, buffs...help you add to your group, and people would appreciate that more than a guy who only diverts attention for one or two shots.

Stick to healer for obvious reasons, but that the healer will likely have people with him adding to your overall group experience and the benefit your archon or dom role brings at the lower level.

Cast on who the groups targeting, maybe squirrel someone then refocus on the group's target....pretty simple and easy as you figure out what piece to buy first with your favor, and which role you saw work for a mage on the opposing side.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconigena III View Post
    Any suggestions on specs for a fresh 50? Looking to make a decent contribution while farming to P6.
    51 Dom is a fairly good spec, but Necro/Lock still offers better survivability, which is important when you don't have good gear right after hitting 50. I'd suggest a N/L build like the following to start:

Starting Necro/Lock Spec at 50

Soul Purge, Neddra's Essence, and Shadow Life are the 3 abilities that make you hard as hell to take down, especially when you combine them with Essence Link and Life Leech. The other thing about the Necro/Lock build that gives it the survivability is that most of the abilities don't take more than 1.5 seconds to cast, with many of them being instants, making it possible for you to attack while on the move.

I'd just suggest that you try both specs along with others to see what works best for you.
    Last edited by RagnarokJC; 07-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Pylos - 51 Mage - Deepstrike
    "I'm gonna eat your f****** heart and your brain and your- I'm gonna f****** r*** your SOUL!!" - Chariot, Operation: Endgame

+ Reply to Thread