+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just dispell the dots...

Default Just dispell the dots...

Hello guys, since I started playing rift I knew which class I want to choose, this class was warlock and his dots. We've been preety much underpowered but that doesn't bother me as I can cope with that.
    What bothers me, is the fact how easy it is to just dispell all the dots in few gcd's, by all the classes who posses the dispell ability, without any consequenses.
    What I'm trying to say is, we are missing some crucial ability in warlock soul tree, I'm not saying I want my dot's to be undispellable, but I would like to see some talent/skill/ability that would make dispelling the dots invole some kind of risk. I hate to bring up WoW, but 'unstable affliction' is something I have in mind.
    An ability in form of a dot/passive that gives a chance while being dispelled to deal some big ammount of damage/silence/stun (you know what I mean). That would give the dispell souls something to think about when they making our damage over time useless.

Shall I dispell? Sure, its just 2 gcd.
    or
    Shall I Dispell? Sure..but I might die while doing so...

Thanks...
    You're born, you take shi*. You get out in the world, you take more shi*. You climb a little higher, you take less shi*. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shi* even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamist View Post
    Hello guys, since I started playing rift I knew which class I want to choose, this class was warlock and his dots. We've been preety much underpowered but that doesn't bother me as I can cope with that.
    What bothers me, is the fact how easy it is to just dispell all the dots in few gcd's, by all the classes who posses the dispell ability, without any consequenses.
    What I'm trying to say is, we are missing some crucial ability in warlock soul tree, I'm not saying I want my dot's to be undispellable, but I would like to see some talent/skill/ability that would make dispelling the dots invole some kind of risk. I hate to bring up WoW, but 'unstable affliction' is something I have in mind.
    An ability in form of a dot/passive that gives a chance while being dispelled to deal some big ammount of damage/silence/stun (you know what I mean). That would give the dispell souls something to think about when they making our damage over time useless.

Shall I dispell? Sure, its just 2 gcd.
    or
    Shall I Dispell? Sure..but I might die while doing so...

Thanks...
    I'm not doing the dot thing as a mage because of this.

And I agree when I think about my WFs as a cleric.

Unstable Afflicition was a good idea. We need something similar.

The only other option would be to make dots create stacks with casting once. So you'd need to dispel 5 times just to get fully rid of one dot. But that would be crazy, so I stick with the need of a DoT-protection spell.

If you like DoTs, try pairing Warlock with Dominator.

Dark Touch -> Neddra's Grasp -> Life Leech -> Radiate Death -> Storm Shackle/Traitorous Influence/Incompetence.

If they dispel your dots, you win. They'll either be OOM or dead.

Alternatively, as deep Warlock (51), I use DoTs right before popping Empowered Darkness -> Void Bolt spam. Your Void Bolts hit so hard they'll either try to dispel your DoTs and die to Void Bolt, or spam heals and leave your DoTs alone.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    If you like DoTs, try pairing Warlock with Dominator.

Dark Touch -> Neddra's Grasp -> Life Leech -> Radiate Death -> Storm Shackle/Traitorous Influence/Incompetence.

If they dispel your dots, you win. They'll either be OOM or dead.

Alternatively, as deep Warlock (51), I use DoTs right before popping Empowered Darkness -> Void Bolt spam. Your Void Bolts hit so hard they'll either try to dispel your DoTs and die to Void Bolt, or spam heals and leave your DoTs alone.
    Deny = All dots gone in one insta gcd. Other classes got similiars = dotclass useless

That's my point. Good player won't let you start dot rotation by simply dispelling every single one you throw at him... Pain in the arse

Need some sort of a Dot guard ^^
    You're born, you take shi*. You get out in the world, you take more shi*. You climb a little higher, you take less shi*. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shi* even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.

Just make Dispel very costly on mana, or put a cooldown to it or add a casting time.

Dispels are extremely powerful, both offensive and defensive. I like that, but not the way it is right now in Rift. Almost every class has dispels and purges and not a single one requires any decision-making. Something nasty: you dispel. Almost no question.

Dispelling should be a tactical choice only some should be allowed to have IMO
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Rift Chaser

Warlocks should have a passive talent like this:

If your dots are dispelled, enemy gets instant 15(?)% dmg of the total dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloigor View Post
    Warlocks should have a passive talent like this:

If your dots are dispelled, enemy gets instant 15(?)% dmg of the total dmg.

Indeed, but the damage you get from dispelling a given dot should be more significant + include some silence/stun effect. 15% is not much when it comes to 'should I dispell or not dispell' question.
    I very much wold like to see something that makes dispellers think twice when they want to clear the dots from a target.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamist View Post
    Indeed, but the damage you get from dispelling a given dot should be more significant + include some silence/stun effect. 15% is not much when it comes to 'should I dispell or not dispell' question.
    I very much wold like to see something that makes dispellers think twice when they want to clear the dots from a target.
    This was just a suggestion.

Of course 15% are not that much; but getting this instant dmg over and over and over for each dot that is dispelled should hurt ...
    But you also can say 20% or maybe more. I just tried not to go over the top.

An additional silence or what ever would be nice; but donīt forget about the immunity.

Maybe the enemy could also lose mana or energy or so.
    Or we could get back 5(?)% mana...

There are many possibilities in this regard.
    Last edited by Lloigor; 07-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Plane Touched

To be honest I already have a choice on my Cleric.

I can either:

Dispell the DoT's and all the other debuffs a target will pick up (Including the 30% heal debuff from Necro that lasts a minute...)

Or

I can heal.

I cannot do both, the only people that can take off multiple DoT's and Debuffs are Void Knights (They take off 3), Dominators (They can remove every dispellable thing every 45 seconds) and Purifiers (At 26 points they can remove everything with a 45 second CD)

Then if you try and actually put pressure on a healer (The only people that would really be looking at dispelling other people) you can try stacking up DoTs and debuffs on multiple people, using a second soul to apply some pressure, or stop trying to 1v1 healers with a spec not designed to.

Because the amount of times I've had to make the choice between healing and debuffing is amazing. The amount of times I've got the choice wrong is also quite annoying (Not debuffing meant my heals couldn't keep the person up after they got another heal debuff on them or debuffing meant that my target didn't survive since they were not getting the heals they needed)

The only time I've felt bad about debuffing was when me and another heal specced cleric had a lone warlock trying to stack DoTs on one of us. But that was a situation where no-one would have been able to do much (Perhaps maybe a Warrior of Nightblade with their high damage and 50% heal debuff)
    Last edited by Taril; 07-02-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    To be honest I already have a choice on my Cleric.

I can either:

Dispell the DoT's and all the other debuffs a target will pick up (Including the 30% heal debuff from Necro that lasts a minute...)

Or

I can heal.

I cannot do both, the only people that can take off multiple DoT's and Debuffs are Void Knights (They take off 3), Dominators (They can remove every dispellable thing every 45 seconds) and Purifiers (At 26 points they can remove everything with a 45 second CD)

Then if you try and actually put pressure on a healer (The only people that would really be looking at dispelling other people) you can try stacking up DoTs and debuffs on multiple people, using a second soul to apply some pressure, or stop trying to 1v1 healers with a spec not designed to.

Because the amount of times I've had to make the choice between healing and debuffing is amazing. The amount of times I've got the choice wrong is also quite annoying (Not debuffing meant my heals couldn't keep the person up after they got another heal debuff on them or debuffing meant that my target didn't survive since they were not getting the heals they needed)

The only time I've felt bad about debuffing was when me and another heal specced cleric had a lone warlock trying to stack DoTs on one of us. But that was a situation where no-one would have been able to do much (Perhaps maybe a Warrior of Nightblade with their high damage and 50% heal debuff)
    It's actually just 10s c/d on Deny for Dominators. Just one of the freaking most powerful defensive tool there is. But mages are totally defenseless...

€: Oh and while I keep focusing on killing stuff as Dom, I always use Deny on cooldown. You know helping others and stuff.. most people wouldn't do such a thing, but I'm stupid enough to actually do that...
    Last edited by Elerina; 07-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baluba View Post
    Deny = All dots gone in one insta gcd. Other classes got similiars = dotclass useless
    Yeah, I agree. It's a pain. I was just stating my current use. It'd be cool if they added DoT protection, either by direct damage if dispelled or by healing the Mage.

They could also add a debuff that, when a DoT is dispelled, the next DoT effect deals 100% of it's damage immediately. Make it stack up to 5. That's some serious DoT protection.
    Last edited by Stigas; 07-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Would love if it got implemented in game... Still, needs some testing by devs.

+ Reply to Thread