+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shadow Revenant Macro - Oblivion and Blood Corruption

Default Shadow Revenant Macro - Oblivion and Blood Corruption

Warning - fairly long intro, skip to bottom for Macro and basic conditions for it to work.

Hey there, first thread I created on these forums as of yet. Basically I was trying to remember why I put points in the Vengeful Spirirt talent on my NecroLock, to see if I should bother removing them. Aside from the useful Interrupt on a 10s cooldown a manual Oblivion provides with 3 points, the only advantage was the AOE damage, but due to weird pet AI and such you'd have to micro the Revenant a ton to get the most out of it. Challenge Accepted was my first thought, but frankly I hate having to micro a pet.

Instead what I've been trying out for the last few hours are some one button macros to fit into a NecroLock rotation without complex Macros to get the most out of both the pet's talents. Basically, for reference Blood Corruption wants 4 stacks of Deathly Calling up when used in order to apply 5 stacks of itself, and Oblivion Ruination to have spread Necrosis and LD around to many eneimes with Deathly Calling on, for maximum damage. Fitting the timings of this in with the fairly problematic nature of pet stances and commands was annoyingly hard, but I think I have a reasonable finished product, but there are some shortcomings, so here's the macro:

#show Grave Rot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Grave Rot
    petpassive
    wait 2
    petcast Oblivion
    petpassive
    wait 4
    petcast Blood Corruption
    petcast Ruination
    petdefensive

This series of commands forces the pet to be doing nothing as the macro tells it to cast both its CDs, meaning they cycle regularly if you refresh Grave Rot on its 10 sec cooldown every time. It then breaks the neutral stance at the end to resume casting Ruination.

The first time the macro casts Oblivion will only hit for minor damage as Necrosis and LD will not have been spread by Ruination yet, but after the first it will begin to hit whole groups. It seems like you could slot a Ruination in the macro at first glance, but what's actually happening after you cast Grave Rot is a wait for the GCD from the Ruination cast last (possibly at 0, so a 2sec wait is needed), then a 2sec cast of Oblivion, then a wait for the GCD, and finally a BC cast before reverting to normal.

Conditions to be met:
    Naturally, have Necrosis (and if you like Looming Demise) up on your target so the pet can spread them with Ruination; Pet on Defensive initially (don't mess with the stances during macro); Oblivion and Blood Corruption set to not autocast; and you must always have a target for your pet to direct its Ob and BC at during the macro's cast, otherwise it may fail.

The final step is relatively easy to get around - just use nukes like Void Bolt, Plague Bolt or Soul Purge to finish a mob if you think it's not gonna take the 6 seconds for the macro to cycle to avoid it screwing up the targeting of your pet and the macro's action, or just leave it to your DoTs and move on to the next before it's quite dead. Tabbing also naturally helps this.

So yeah, hopefully this proves helpful to some of those wanting to utilise the Revenant, perhaps as a slightly different rotation in dungeons where the tank will often pull large groups of tough mobs the damage can rack up on easily. Might also prove helpful against caster bosses who dislike interrupts, or bosses where the pet needs to be at range. It's still certainly not the most versatile pet, but for situations with a lot of mobs (where you're not at risk of being mauled) it looks like it could be the best pet for the job.
    Last edited by Benlisted; 07-01-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Shadowlander

Blood corruption seems to currently be bugged in our favour. Pre 1.3 a Vengeful Spirit revenant would eat four stacks of deathly calling (depite the talent stating it would prevent the eating.

When i tried it again yesterday and consistently since then i have noticed a full effectivelness Corruption if there is a single stack of calling on my target. I am ~always~ doing the full strength or minimum strenght dot depending on if i have calling stacks up now, never in between. Until they fix that it's worth letting the revenant toss that out ASAP innit?

Excellent work though, this thing is a real pain in the arse to get to cast intelligently. Thank you.

Just tested and yeah your're right, a single DC will cause max BC stacks. So until that's fixed the best thing this macro will do is cause the pet to cast on CD consistently, which is kinda useful. You may as well keep using it as is though, since there's no other easy way to keep the rhytmn with the CDs it has, and Oblivion is best being cast after the end of some Ruination spam.

Soulwalker

I have a general question on how to actually use the Revenant...well, it's Ruination ability anyway. The way I read it, if it uses said ability on a target that is affected by Deathly Calling, it will spread (and do damage) Necrosis and Looming Demise to any (up to four I think) nearby enemies that als have Deathly Calling on them. Problem is, I can never seem to get this to work right. I'll drop Grave Rot into a group of enemies then proceed to cast Necrosis and Looming Demise on my main target. I then have my Revenant cast Ruination, but nothing seems to happen. I'll switch to other targets to see if my spells spread, but there are no icons on them telling me if it worked or not. Do they spread and not show an icon, or am I just doing it right?

Perhaps it is because I have it on auto cast and it is consuming the DC stacks before I can get up my other two spells? But, GR is constantly adding stacks, so that shouldn't matter. God this pet just confuses me so much...and I don't like using macros cause they remove any ingenuity from playing your class, imo.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce86 View Post
    I have a general question on how to actually use the Revenant...well, it's Ruination ability anyway. The way I read it, if it uses said ability on a target that is affected by Deathly Calling, it will spread (and do damage) Necrosis and Looming Demise to any (up to four I think) nearby enemies that als have Deathly Calling on them. Problem is, I can never seem to get this to work right. I'll drop Grave Rot into a group of enemies then proceed to cast Necrosis and Looming Demise on my main target. I then have my Revenant cast Ruination, but nothing seems to happen. I'll switch to other targets to see if my spells spread, but there are no icons on them telling me if it worked or not. Do they spread and not show an icon, or am I just doing it right?

Perhaps it is because I have it on auto cast and it is consuming the DC stacks before I can get up my other two spells? But, GR is constantly adding stacks, so that shouldn't matter. God this pet just confuses me so much...and I don't like using macros cause they remove any ingenuity from playing your class, imo.
    Your spells don't spread, the pets spells do. If you turn on the ability to see others debuffs you will see the pets necrosis on the targets.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nemari View Post
    Your spells don't spread, the pets spells do. If you turn on the ability to see others debuffs you will see the pets necrosis on the targets.
    Ah, ok...I must not have that enabled. Will have to check later. Thanks for the quick info.

Oh my god, thanks for answering the question about ruination. I feel pretty dumb now myself as I thought it was bugged.
    Last edited by Tyrael64; 07-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread