+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage non pet leveling spec?

Soulwalker

Default Mage non pet leveling spec?

Hey everyone, just coming back to rift after some time off and thinking of lvling a mage, im curious if there is any viable specs for lvling that don't include having a pet? Leveled Ranger for my first char and im really not wanting to have to control another pet haha, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bm00re View Post
    Hey everyone, just coming back to rift after some time off and thinking of lvling a mage, im curious if there is any viable specs for lvling that don't include having a pet? Leveled Ranger for my first char and im really not wanting to have to control another pet haha, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Without a pet you'll have a hard time tbh. Later on WL/Chloro is very strong but I never tried it in the early levels.

Not sure if you're helping yourself with refusing to have a pet around. It's very different from ranger especially the Necro/Lock thing with the dps pet out. Maybe convince yourself to give it a try.

Rift Chaser

You can do Loc/Chloro without a pet pretty easily, but the first 16 levels or so will be rough. I run loc/clor and have elemental at 0 points just for the free pet.

Having the pet is pretty handy though, it's good for rounding up mobs and giving them a focus target for a second before you start laying down the AOE.

/shrug. Just put *petattack* into every one of your macros, that way he'll auto go to whatever target you're bombing, and will round up mobs nicely for you.

Shadowlander

I totally get the desire to be without a pet.

In order for a petless build to 'work well', you have to either:
    a) have self healing
    or
    b) kill mobs before they get to you, either through kiting or high dps

Since range mobs exist and are plentiful and hit HARD (sharpshooters! BLAH!), any build using option (b) is, in my experience, at a disadvantage. Casting shields, heals, etc during combat in order to live, or drink/eat afterwards, are going to slow you down significantly.

The only two souls without pets that can self heal are Warlock and Chloro. I think this is why people pair the two so much. Lock has the extra major advantage of sacrificing health for mana, meaning you can refill your mana, then Bloom to get your health back ON THE RUN TO THE NEXT MOB!

There are plenty of builds that use one of these two, mostly XXX/Chloro, however I don't see anything attractive enough in the primary to compensate for the loss of the survivability and utility of the Lock.

I've tried Lock with Chloro secondary and Chloro with Lock secondary and barely noticed a difference. Chloro/Lock kills a little slower but feels safer, Lock/Chloro kills a little faster but is a little more risky when overwhelmed. Pick your poison and run with it. :-)

If you hate Chloro/Lock AND pets, then... that's like half the mage souls right there.

Soulwalker

If you're an old-school Wizard/Runemaster type of player: dump your points into pyro, kill things before they get to you (using the root, etc).

If you just want to be able to grind on things without worrying about dying, put most of your points into Warlock so you can self-heal all over the place.

Either way, make your third soul Dominator so that you can turn two-pulls into single pulls using the squirrel spell.

More generally: basically any soul with a decent DPS component makes a perfectly legitimate levelling spec. My first impulse is to go full points in a dps spec (pyro/storm/lock/ele/necro), extra points into a support/utility spec (archon/chloro) and unspecced dominator int he third slot for the squirrels. Pyro has probably the best single-target DPS and lock has a lot of stuff that heals you, which is why those were my non-pet primary soul suggestions.

EDIT: Regarding the guy above me saying that "kill it before it kills you" builds are at a disadvantage: your secondary soul almost always has a shield or reactive that can keep you up while burning down a ranged mob. For instance, I went pyro/archon, and even the heavy-hitting ranged mobs would usually go down before the archon shield did.
    Last edited by Deblin; 07-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Soulwalker

I also agree that Chloro/Warlock is a very effective build. You can either go heavy Chloro or heavy Warlock. I put enough points into Warlock tree to get the 15% hp to 15% mana conversion as well as the channeled self-heal thingy, then go deep enough in Chloro for lifegiving veil. Then dump the rest of the points into Warlock tree for more dps.

Basically you wanna use warlock spells to dps, and use life spells with lifegiving veil to heal yourself while doing damage, and use the instant bloom to give yourself a big fat heal. This is what I found the most effective way to level without a pet....because I hate controlling a pet too myself.

Rift Chaser

chloro warlock is your best bet at the beginning to get your heals first then you will want to put points into warlock later. i did a chloro/warlock/archon in beta to lvl 21 and found leveling really slow but fun having 3 mobs beating on you while you cast and auto attack. at 21 this changed alot when the mobs started hitting harder and was difficult keeping health up while trying to dps with more than 2 on you. putting more points in warlock didnt help much either when i got a second spec.

however this was in beta and the souls have changed alot since then so now it might be different. not wanting to use a pet is fine since i know a few people like yourself that really dont like them. however, being a mage without one really limits yourself and will slow down solo leveling alot. also when you raid or group unless you heal or play a archon all the superior dps builds have a pet.

+ Reply to Thread