+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does one build a rotation?

Soulwalker

Default How does one build a rotation?

Yes, I'm a total noob

Could anyone clue me in on the basics of how to go about building a rotation? I see a lot of rotations already posted for level 50s, but being that I'm a lowly 32, I'm curious about how to work with my own abilities and get a decent rotation going for what I actually have.

Naturally, that will change with level 33, or as I add abilities, so I guess I need to shed my noobness and get down to brass tacks here. If some of the vets wouldn't mind telling me how they do it, I'd really appreciate the insight.

Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Dyaeni View Post
    Yes, I'm a total noob

Could anyone clue me in on the basics of how to go about building a rotation? I see a lot of rotations already posted for level 50s, but being that I'm a lowly 32, I'm curious about how to work with my own abilities and get a decent rotation going for what I actually have.

Naturally, that will change with level 33, or as I add abilities, so I guess I need to shed my noobness and get down to brass tacks here. If some of the vets wouldn't mind telling me how they do it, I'd really appreciate the insight.

Thanks very much!
    Sort your attack point or damage point builders. Highest damage usually has highest priority. Some of them are on cooldown and you need to use the next lowest in the list.
    If you have buffs or debuffs you want to keep up, add them into your list.
    Do the same for finishing moves.
    And for area-of-effect / multi target attacks

Rift Disciple

Basically you take a spec, a pen and paper, figure out how much DMG each ability you have makes. In general you want to start with your highest dmg spells and continue towards the lower dmg ones.
    We can find only one hundred and three names for green before the color becomes noticeably either blue or yellow

Soulwalker

Awesome Thanks, guys...I'll give it a go.

Telaran

At a basic level, the approach can be quite simple:

1) Work out what you want to do: damage, healing, threat or perhaps more elaborate things (e.g. aoe damage plus self-healing for a solo grinding spec)

2) Identify the abilities that help doing what you want to do: it's worth spending a bit of time to read abilities properly; usually it's fairly obvious what an ability is primarily intended to achieve (e.g. an ability that damages and stuns on a 30 sec cd is not primarily intended as a dps ability)

3) Among the abilities that help doing what you want to do prioritise the ones that do it best: that's the trickiest part because what's "best"?

The general approach would be to ask what resource (time, mana, energy etc) is currently constraining you and prioritise abilities that do the most of what you want to do (damage, healing etc) per unit of that resource. In most situations you will care about time (or simply GCDs for warriors/most rogues), so rank abilities in terms of damage (or healing etc)-per-cast-time. Unless you go all Excel spreadsheet on it, this already involves a lot of estimating. Because the impact of a major buff like SLI (for example) depends on the rest of your rotation so things can get complicated.

As a rule of thumb, abilities with a shortish cd (8-20 secs or so) are probably meant to be used on cd so they go near the front of your priority list. Abilities with a long cd (2 mins or more) are either situational (only useful if a particular event happens) or powerful buffs that often require knowledge of the particular encounter for optimal use. Spammable abilities fill in the gaps between your more powerful cd abilities.

You will likely find that your "full" rotation is only needed in longer fights (group vs elite), so with a bit of experimenting you can find a shorter rotation that drops a normal mob quickly and ideally leaves you able to go on to the next one straightaway.

+ Reply to Thread