+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Pvp Spec

Soulwalker

Default Help with Pvp Spec

As the title says, I am looking for help with a pvp spec. My current spec is http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qqgo.xtcz0z.xx. Is there anything I should change? And will this spec be viable for P4+? Any help is appreciated.

Champion

Really with a mage it all depends on how complicated of a spec you want, because sadly unlike most other classes the rotations tend to get allot more complicated the more you want the spec to do. Personally i love dominator, the shear utility lets u shut down near anyone whenever u want. Combine that with a bit of chloromancer and you have an amazingly utility specced class. But wait there is more the reduced cast times and increased damage after you cast polymorph spell makes dominator an amazing addon for a dps soul. I was thinking of grabbing stormcaller too, maybe necromancer if its more your flavor, because then those nasty 2.5 sec cast times turn into 1.5 sec casts and ur dps sky rockets.

what i ended up with is a 24 dominator, 26 stormcaller, 16 chloromancer. you can aoe dps as well as the next guy, in addition to haveing all the utility in the world, and can heal. It really is a fantastic combination
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...gR00VkaM.xdhuo
    -----

and honestly i haven't fiddled with warlock much so i don't think i can be much help there :/
    Last edited by garethh; 06-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Champion

There isn't really any point having double tap in your build because all your spells are instant/channelled except for void bolt spamming. If you are keen on getting Degen it would be smarter to put points in Resilient instead. TBH personally I would get rid of the Necro and put points in chloro instead. There's some nice chloro-lock-AM PvP builds floating around. Your build lacks dps and team support. So in effect you are kind of a tank who dots people and this role is already done by Reavers.

Not a bad spec mind you, but not optimal.

Shadowlander

The five main mage categories for pvp are burst, survival, substained dps, heals or control.

A good spec has 3-4 of the 5 and your spec lacks burst, heals and control. Fear is too long of cast, purge SUCKS at 50 for heals and you have zero burst. The spec you listed is only truly good at consistent dps with decent survival.

The two best pairings for lock are SC and chloro. Sc will give you both control and burst while keeping the survival tools from lock. Your dps isn't the hottest but that is what you give up.

Chlro/lock gives the must survivablity of any spec the mage has to offer. You also have very consistent dps. You don't have great control and you don't have great burst but you are the mage tank. You also will have the option to pass out some much needed heal support. This is a very flexible spec as you can go more dps or heals depending on who attacks and who you are teamed with.

Decide what you like. My personal opinion says high dom, either 30+ or 51 should be in any pvp spec. Dom gives the most control and the highest burst of any spec. If you want survival, add lock or chloro for both survival and minor healing. Nothing will really pair well to give you consistent dps but you could enhance the burst and add deeper AM. I'm p6 though so I'm not as squishy and you may have a harder time surviving long enough to get through your DR's.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by slizz View Post
    The five main mage categories for pvp are burst, survival, substained dps, heals or control.

A good spec has 3-4 of the 5 and your spec lacks burst, heals and control. Fear is too long of cast, purge SUCKS at 50 for heals and you have zero burst. The spec you listed is only truly good at consistent dps with decent survival.

The two best pairings for lock are SC and chloro. Sc will give you both control and burst while keeping the survival tools from lock. Your dps isn't the hottest but that is what you give up.

Chlro/lock gives the must survivablity of any spec the mage has to offer. You also have very consistent dps. You don't have great control and you don't have great burst but you are the mage tank. You also will have the option to pass out some much needed heal support. This is a very flexible spec as you can go more dps or heals depending on who attacks and who you are teamed with.

Decide what you like. My personal opinion says high dom, either 30+ or 51 should be in any pvp spec. Dom gives the most control and the highest burst of any spec. If you want survival, add lock or chloro for both survival and minor healing. Nothing will really pair well to give you consistent dps but you could enhance the burst and add deeper AM. I'm p6 though so I'm not as squishy and you may have a harder time surviving long enough to get through your DR's.
    Could I get a link to that lock / sc / chloro build?

Telaran

I would really like to see the chloro/lock spec slizz. I used to play chlorolock in 1.2 as my mage healing build, but I basically just played it as straight chloro with the lock stuff mainly for passive buffs to damage to increase my healing. I'm guessing the spec looks very different now with the way the warlock tree works, and I'm also guessing you don't play it as a pure healer.

I'd love to get more info on this build and how you play it!

+ Reply to Thread