+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Math - Int, SC, and Crit Chance

Soulwalker

Default Mage Math - Int, SC, and Crit Chance

Hi everyone....

I'm having some amount of trouble with the math for Spell Crit = Crit Attack, and of course, the formula is too "top secret" for support to offer any amount of help whatsoever.

Here's my understanding:
    • Spell Crit is based 100% off your Intelligence Stat (since Patch...5? 2? Differing sites have different info.)
    • One point of spell crit = +0.04% Crit to base.
    • A Mathosian Mage (that's me) has a base of 10 Int/10 SC, which is a 5% Crit base.

My char is level 32, has 222 Intelligence (222 SC) and a 12.25% Crit chance.

The math:

5% <---Crit Base (10 Int/10 SC)
    + .04(212)% <---Remaining Int/SC
    ========
    13.48%

The math doesn't work, as you can see.... 13.48% (calculated crit) =/= 12.25% (actual crit).

Has something changed since people updated their wikis? Is there some step I'm missing? Has someone already figured this out somewhere?

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Dyaeni View Post
    Hi everyone....

I'm having some amount of trouble with the math for Spell Crit = Crit Attack, and of course, the formula is too "top secret" for support to offer any amount of help whatsoever.

Here's my understanding:
    • Spell Crit is based 100% off your Intelligence Stat (since Patch...5? 2? Differing sites have different info.)
    • One point of spell crit = +0.04% Crit to base.
    • A Mathosian Mage (that's me) has a base of 10 Int/10 SC, which is a 5% Crit base.

My char is level 32, has 222 Intelligence (222 SC) and a 12.25% Crit chance.

The math:

5% <---Crit Base (10 Int/10 SC)
    + .04(212)% <---Remaining Int/SC
    ========
    13.48%

The math doesn't work, as you can see.... 13.48% (calculated crit) =/= 12.25% (actual crit).

Has something changed since people updated their wikis? Is there some step I'm missing? Has someone already figured this out somewhere?

Thanks for your help
    All that matters is your Spell Crit, it is adjusted with your int. So if you have 10 int, you have 10 SC. Not 10 int AND 10 Crit. If a Mathosian Mage gets 10 int and 10 Spell crit you have 20 total spell crit, and it will show 20 spell crit in your stats (after you account for the int you get from leveling up).
    I use 1 crit = .0379% (.000379). It may be .04%, its hard to tell with rounding.
    Open you stat sheet and see how much Spell Crit you have. Multiple it by .000379, or .0004. Should be pretty close to what it says you have.

Soulwalker

Hey, Bluedot!

Thanks for the reply... I was actually a little jazzed that it was you, since it was your guides I was thumbing through last night.

Here's a screenie:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8...0629214001.jpg
    (hopefully, that actually does load)

If I take my 222 SC and multiply it by your .000379, I get .084138 or 8.4%, approximately. If I multiply it by the .0004, I get .0888 or 8.8%. It's still off by almost 4%, which is why I'm so grumpy about this... Where do you think that extra 4% comes from?

Hey, Bluedot!

Thanks for the reply... I was actually a little jazzed that it was you, since it was your guides I was thumbing through last night.

Here's a screenie:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8...0629214001.jpg
    (hopefully, that actually does load)

If I take my 222 SC and multiply it by your .000379, I get .084138 or 8.4%, approximately. If I multiply it by the .0004, I get .0888 or 8.8%. It's still off by almost 4%, which is why I'm so grumpy about this... Where do you think that extra 4% comes from?
    In WoW Spell Crit gave a higher chance the lower level you are. I haven't tested it but I bet its the same way here.

If it is giving you extra crit from talents (Tier 1 of Elemental, Tier 3 Warlock, etc) it shows it in () like (8.88% + 4).
    Just divide your Crit chance 12.25 by your Spell Crit 222 to get the value of 1 spell crit. So for your level each spell crit is .55%.

Test my theory by lowering your crit (take your clothes off) and doing the math again, if it comes out close to the same (won't be exact because Rift rounds weird) then it just gives different values based on your level.
    Last edited by bluedot; 06-29-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    In WoW Spell Crit gave a higher chance the lower level you are. I haven't tested it but I bet its the same way here.

If it is giving you extra crit from talents (Tier 1 of Elemental, Tier 3 Warlock, etc) it shows it in () like (8.88% + 4).
    Just divide your Crit chance 12.25 by your Spell Crit 222 to get the value of 1 spell crit. So for your level each spell crit is .55%.

Test my theory by lowering your crit (take your clothes off) and doing the math again, if it comes out close to the same (won't be exact because Rift rounds weird) then it just gives different values based on your level.
    Interesting... I shucked my clothes and did the math and you're right.... it comes out almost exactly the same. So basically, it's inversely related to your level... as I continue up the scale, the difference should become less dramatic. That makes perfect sense... I wonder why the devs gave me a "Sorry, but that's top secret" answer instead of a "it's inversely related on a sliding scale to your level. The formula's a tad complicated at this point, but we'll release it once it's easier to explain" answer. That would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Thanks, Bluedot I appreciate the answer -- also, your guides are pretty amazing. This whole math thing came about from trying to spec for DPS

Thanks, Bluedot I appreciate the answer -- also, your guides are pretty amazing.
    That will be $14.99 + Tax, Gratuity and Accuracy Fee ($49.99).
    There will be a 3% surcharge if you pay with Credit Card.

:P

Cheers
    Last edited by bluedot; 06-29-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    That will be $14.99 + Tax, Gratuity and Accuracy Fee ($49.99).
    There will be a 3% surcharge if you pay with Credit Card.

:P

Cheers
    Sorry, all I've got is coffee and chocolate. Hit me up next pay cycle!

lol Bluedot
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

+ Reply to Thread