+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage leveling specs?

Soulwalker

Default Mage leveling specs?

So ... not really finding much in the way of advice on mage leveling ... what do people feel are some solid mage soul progressions?

Can you point me to some older threads or anything (nothing in the sticky is about leveling)?

Thx

Telaran

I'll give you a bit of a building guide, so you can go with what you like.

First off, you're probably gonna want to go with either necromancer or elementalist as your primary soul; that way, your tank pet takes the beating, and not your squishy mage ***. You're also probably going to want to focus the majority of your points there initially.

For necromancer main soul builds, your points in necromancer should probably look something like this before spending more elsewhere; if you want to move points around, I'd suggest taking them from Deadly Plague and maybe Grave Rot; the rest are pretty important, and Soul Purge and Ancient Tomb are critical.

After that, I'd suggest focusing on either warlock or dominator. If you go warlock, you'll want to go at least 30 points in. If you go dominator, you might want something like this.

For your third soul...if you feel like spending some points in it, go chloromancer; if not, go archon. Either one's fine.

As for elementalist...this isn't really my area of expertise, as I couldn't get into elementalist and leveled with a necrolock build, but you'll probably want something akin to this before focusing on a second soul.

As for that second soul? I dunno. I'm told that chloromancer / elementalists do well, although I seem to recall reading a few patches back that Synthesis couldn't affect pets anymore, so that might put a cramp in that spec's style. Still, it has healing, which is great for any solo spec. Pyromancer's probably another good choice, as is stormcaller. Maybe a build like this?

Personally? I'd go with a necrolock build, because it's simple and it has everything a solo leveling character needs: their own personal meat shield, health recovery, and mana recovery. Plus, as long as you get both Soul Purge and Ancient Tomb in necromancer, you can distribute the points between necromancer and warlock just about any stupid way and still be able to level effectively. It's all but impossible to botch.
    Last edited by Zeikfried; 06-29-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Shadowlander

There are plenty of specs to look at, it depends on your playstyle and HOW you want to level.

If you're planning on PvPing, I'd check out some of the strong PvP builds. Dom is SO fun for me, though some love the survivability toolset of a Lock/Chloro build.

For Rifts, I'd at least keep an Elem or Chloro spec handy. The Elem tank feels more sturdy than the Necro one, probably due to the strength of Quickening Elements. Chloro is great for wracking up points in rifts: everyone loves a healer.

Most of us, however, will go with Questing. Necro/Lock is VERY potent (aim for primary necro up to 21-30, then Lock up through 30 or so, seems to be standard). Though I find the play style of Dots uninspiring, I do kill significantly faster as a Necro/Lock than anything else (almost twice as fast). I did try out Elem/SC for a while. Great spec, solid, but just a bit slower than Necro/Lock.

If you're keen to AoE, Necro/Lock is good there as well after about level 35ish. Elem/SC is ok, though my points were split too much to have a pet resilient enough to tank 3-5 mobs on his own without dying. Many people LOVE a full lock/14 chloro build. Radiant Spores paired with strong DoTs and AoEs is definitely powerful, though I don't feel that I'm missing survivability as Necro/Lock. Bluedots, an active mage on the forums, also recommends an SC/Chloro build. I have no clue how he plays that without shooting himself. All I ever do in that spec is die while I'm still gathering up 2-3 mobs, or run out of mana after every pull.

When it comes down to it, it's really annoying but Nec/Lock FEELS faster than almost every other spec I've tried. Everything works, even pure dominator, but at different paces. If your goal is just to "get through leveling", I'd look for a necro/lock guide. Bluedots has one on his site that's pretty great and he hand-holds you all the way to level 40.

Loa
    Soulwalker

Hi, I'm looking for advice on my mage. This is my first character, only started playing rift a few days ago

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zvwR.hco.g0cpmzk

I'm level 22 and beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the spells. No clue what spells I should be using over others, and I'm sure I've made a hodgepodge of my soul points. Any advice on what I should change, and what spell rotation i should use, would be greatly appreciated.

Soulwalker

I had a great time leveling as a Chloro/Elem, basically splitting points between those two souls. The idea is, your Elemental pet rock tanks for you, and you slap Synthesis on him and heal him like you would a party tank.

Using this methodology, I could solo elites that "normal" pet souls (BM, Ranger, etc) might not be able to, because most pet soul pet healing abilities are slow, or are channeled (meaning you're not DPSing while you heal). Chloro tank healing is very fast and efficient compared to "normal" pet heals, and you're dishing out DPS while you do it. If your pet dies, you have an instant re-summon and he typically grabs aggro again fast, because you're high enough in the Elemental tree that your pet is fairly jacked.

If that interests you, I'd go with a build that looks something like this. Good luck with whatever you decide!

If you like Pets, Necro/Lock.

If you don't, ChloroLock.

Get 10 in Warlock for Magical Affinity and Opportunity ASAP (right after Lifegiving Veil).

After that, put all possible points into Chloro until you have Corrosion and Nature's Fury (and the talent to reduce Nature's Fury's cast time). Then, start filling out Warlock until you get all the static goodies (HP, Crit, Neddra's Grasp, the 2 damage increases, Shadow Life, Neddra's Essence and Radiate Death). Then, finish out Chloro.

Should end up with a 32 Chloro 34 Warlock build. You can take on Elites, you can pull as many mobs in the area as you'd like. Just keep Corrosion up and Nature's Fury > Nature's Touch with Dark Magic up on all mobs.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by Loa View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for advice on my mage. This is my first character, only started playing rift a few days ago

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zvwR.hco.g0cpmzk

I'm level 22 and beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the spells. No clue what spells I should be using over others, and I'm sure I've made a hodgepodge of my soul points. Any advice on what I should change, and what spell rotation i should use, would be greatly appreciated.
    You should be using the Skeletal Zealot (Rogue looking Dual-Wielding guy).

Life Leech > Necrosis > Dark Touch > Looming Demise > Grave Rot (when they're all on you) > Soul Purge spam.

Do that to EVERY target in range. Let your pet finish them off (except Elites). Void Bolt spam anything still alive after you've pulled all your mobs.

#show Summon: Skeletal Zealot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Exhume
    cast Summon: Skeletal Zealot

#show Feign Death
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    targetself
    cast Feign Death

#show Life Shift
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Life Shift
    cast Life Shift

#show Blood Binding
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Blood Binding
    cast Blood Binding

For those last 2, you'll use those on really tough Elites (usually Melee Stage 5 Rift bosses). Target your pet, type /focus and make sure to keep Blood Binding rolling. IMPORTANT: Keep Life Leech and use Soul Purge when you're at full charge. Without that, you'll end up dying because you're giving all your HP to your pet.
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

Loa
    Soulwalker

Thanks for the advice Stigas

Soulwalker

I played Necro/Lock for a bit (up until 20-ish), and while I can't deny how efficient it is, it was really, really boring. I also played Ele/Lock for awhile, I enjoyed it a bit more, but it's fairly slow.

Right now, I'm 24, and rolling Pyro/Ele/Arc: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zIqz.bfzez0sd.Vz.z

I love it. I don't care that it's unoptimized, I don't care that it's inefficient, and I don't care that too many adds will end in death. When my Pyro Armor and Wildfire procs start going off, I become a rampaging avatar of fiery destruction, burninating all that stand in my way. And with Smoldering Power, Mana's not an issue (rendering my 6th point in Ele worthless, because I don't need Revitalize 99% of the time).

Yeah, I'm gonna have problems post 30 with the rock pet, but I'll find something new at that point. I'm just here to espouse some love for non-standard specs; the whole benefit of the soul system is that you don't have to play the way anyone tells you, but can find the combination that you enjoy most.

+ Reply to Thread