+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid chloro still an option?

Default Hybrid chloro still an option?

One of the things I've mostly like about RIFT is that, in general, a 44/22 build is viable in its primary role.

Are 44/22 chloro/anything viable main healers still, or do we really need 51 to handle content?

(Disclaimer: Don't have a 50 yet, so I can't test it. But I have several people into their 20s and 30s...)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

Once you start healing experts you need VL to keep a tank up. I have yet to try it without because I fear it would be a total waste of time. And forums seem to back that up.
    Andoreniel - 50 Mage
    Specs
    Chloromancer/Warlock/Archon - Support/Heals
    SC/ELE/Archon - DPS

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    One of the things I've mostly like about RIFT is that, in general, a 44/22 build is viable in its primary role.

Are 44/22 chloro/anything viable main healers still, or do we really need 51 to handle content?

(Disclaimer: Don't have a 50 yet, so I can't test it. But I have several people into their 20s and 30s...)
    I'm in the same boat. What I have picked up around the boards is that if we want to be able to adequately heal your main tank we have to go the 51 spec.

Like you I am not so sure that we have to go that high to be off-healer with an AOE spec of 44.

Just looking and tinkering with builds, however it seems like we should be able to provide that support-healing role with as few as 36. I was looking at an attractive Chlor/Archon/Other 36/18/12 for example (the 12 I was considering in this case was Pyro, to benefit from pro-flame Archon abilities).
    Don't believe everything you think.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalTibs View Post
    I'm in the same boat. What I have picked up around the boards is that if we want to be able to adequately heal your main tank we have to go the 51 spec.

Like you I am not so sure that we have to go that high to be off-healer with an AOE spec of 44.

Just looking and tinkering with builds, however it seems like we should be able to provide that support-healing role with as few as 36. I was looking at an attractive Chlor/Archon/Other 36/18/12 for example (the 12 I was considering in this case was Pyro, to benefit from pro-flame Archon abilities).
    Chloro Archon is definately a good support role to use. And the other cold be Warlock for charge and opportunity
    Andoreniel - 50 Mage
    Specs
    Chloromancer/Warlock/Archon - Support/Heals
    SC/ELE/Archon - DPS

Ascendant

I think the point is for you to go 51 if you want to be the main healer but you can go half and half if you want to support. Sounds about right to me at least.

Besides, it seems to me there are healing-oriented Clerics who would be ideal for those emergency single-target heals. They have good AoE heals too. Why not use both?
    Don't believe everything you think.

Champion of Telara

You can back-up / group heal fine with a hybrid spec. I have two Chloro specs now, 51 Chloro for tank healing and Chloro/Lock for back-up or group healing.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

My impression -- which may be wrong -- is that most cleric healing souls can main-heal on 44 points.

I would be a lot happier if the 51-point bonus were something that augmented the class, not something absolutely essential in order to fill the role.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

I had what I considered to be a pretty effective Chloro 38/28 hybrid build, and post 1.3 I am no longer putting out the healing I once was, particularly for tank healing using Lifebound Veil. The biggest nerf was to Nature's Touch. It simply does not give the huge heal that it used to. Also, I loathe having to choose between AoE healing and tank healing. All in all I would agree that Chloromancer hybrid specs are no longer viable as main healers.

Frankly I'm not convinced that even a full 51 point Chloro is as viable as a hybrid Chloro used to be, pre-1.3 Sad times.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TimHorton View Post
    Frankly I'm not convinced that even a full 51 point Chloro is as viable as a hybrid Chloro used to be, pre-1.3 Sad times.
    We can't main heal as well as before. Whether we can heal well enough is being debated, but it is clear we were nerfed (the extent is again being debated).
    Last edited by Brad1959; 06-29-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

I am actually at least conceptually happy with the tank/aoe heal split, because I think that fits the general healing design which is that you're only usually good at one of them at once.

Telaran

You don't even need 44 points to main heal with a cleric soul. None of my main healing cleric specs have 44+ points in any healing spec, other than the 51 purifier that I am still trying to like but hating. The best healing spec that I use is currently 38 warden 28 sentinel, where I mostly heal with just hots, so 38 warden 0 sent would work just as well if I wanted to be more creative. 32/34 puri/sent isn't bad either.

The problem with chloros now is how end loaded the healing capability is. The difference between a 32 chloro nature's touch and a 51 chloro's nature's touch can be a whopping 500 in a 2k heal, thanks in part to the new chloro passive. Vile spores healing for 400 instead of 700 just doesn't cut the cake now either, especially thanks to the newly nerfed veil and synth. This leaves the 51 point (spammable, mind you) chloro abilities to be critical components of your healing rotation. Since Nature's touch has a moderate cooldown, and vile spores is just weak, the best options for the rest of the rotation are natural heailng for around 2k, void life for around 2.5k. Both are 51 point abilities.

So we can see that if you're not a 51 point chloro, you've been nerfed to the ground as far as main heal capability. Trion did a good job of reducing chloro spec diversity in 1.3. Natural Healing is essentially a copycat of the cleric's unupgraded restoration flame or healing invocationl, and being totally spammable, you can essentially main heal as a 1 button cleric wannabe without any macros at 51 point invested, which you'll need. Oh wait, my cleric does that better. Plus, it has a load of good cooldowns and passives. And doesn't need 51 points invested.

As of this post, void life is still broken, and if you queue any spell after it, you lose the third tick (and thus 33% healing loss), so your best option is to spam natural healing like a cleric. It's very decent healing per second.

The best dps/aoe support healing spec I've toyed with is actually 51 warlock 15 chloro, boosting vile spores with empowered darkness.. yeah that's even less chloro points than what I liked to run with pre-patch. Talk a about a load of fail.
    Last edited by Keshi; 06-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Telaran

The old veil/synth was a lot more conducive to the chloro play style IMO, especially when we take into account the effectiveness of the new 51 point abilities compared to NT/VS on a heals per second. Right now, Trion is almost pidgeonholing chloros into 51 point specs with 0 dps and zilch for utility.

At least essence surge isn't a team suicide button now, though.

I would be a lot happier if the 51-point bonus were something that augmented the class, not something absolutely essential in order to fill the role.
    I agree with this sooo much.
    Last edited by Keshi; 06-29-2011 at 12:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread