+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.3 Rotations and Concerns

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

Default 1.3 Rotations and Concerns

Prior to 1.3, I was almost always on top of the parsers on bosses. As with every "Nerf", if you will, we have to relearn a new spec and rotations. Here are my Concerns with the 1.3 changes and the 3 builds that are given to us by Bluedot. Thanks by the way, if it starts to seem to QQ your builds. Not my intention. Just voicing my concerns for my play style. Which happens to be Nuker, Minimal to NO pet management.

Oh and let me throw my stats in there with raid gear, as I'm sure it will help you judge how much more I should be doing, no buffs:

SPower: 1042
    SCrit: 778
    Focus: 241 (I can put on my world travel gear and have 205 increasing other stats slightly)

Ok, for me lets start out with the Lock/Nec build(s):

Simply put, I am not comfortable playing a pet build yet. With the limited controlling along with the multitude of times I have had my pet stop attacking the mob and a few bugs where my pet would go from Defensive mode to Passive mode, with my pet just randomly pathing while plowing trash just tells me that there are still too many variables that haven't been hashed out yet. So both the

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Vzk0c.jeRhkVVx
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kzs.ceRhzVVx.M

I haven't built and probably won't although I've seen a guild mage actually make the top 8 on the parser with the "Zoomancer."

Moving on: SC/Ele build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...sbo.Vtcz0xoAzz

This has been the one I have used in raids prior to 1.3 and topping the charts with. With the slight changes I am still pulling over 1k in raids so I can't say that I suck completely. But I am no longer on the parsers when linked. This does include the caster pet but he doesn't require keeping stacks up on the mob or anything like the Necro pets usually do. The rotation I am currently using is a very simple one (And this is the key to this whole thread, SIMPLICITY.)

It has 4 keys essentially with 1 DPS macro and the "Charge Consuming" key. So a total of 6 keys (Single Target.) This is a manageable set up for me, since I still look at my keyboard, I don't run those game pads, and there are still quite a few things to pay attention to in boss mechanics.

Current Post 1.3 Rotation that is manageable: Pulling the 1k with this
    Raging Storm/Thunderbolt x3
    Ice Shear
    Lightning Strike
    Clouburst
    Static Flux is the Toggle
    Macro:
    #show Static Discharge
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast static discharge
    cast intensify elements
    use glob of crystallized blood

When I saw Bluedot's NEW rotation which includes Toggle #1, cast spell A, Toggle #2, DPS macro, cast spells B + C, DEACTIVATE toggles, cast spell D x2 <--- ALL of this just seems Overly Complicated and ridiculously hard. Let alone the continuation of the rotation. To be fair Bludot does point out that this is just that, overly complex and we will fail with this rotation. So how can we expect to maximize our performance in a stressful boss encounter when it is too complex on paper? The standard rotation that he gives us should be enough to keep us competitive, not in top 12.

On to the Pyro/Ele:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...zxo.Vthz0xoAzz

This was my best Single Target, as Bluedot stated, of the raids. I hit 1200 once, but most of the time 900-1100. I am going to work with this some and see if this is my new favorite. The downfalls of Pyro that I have seen in this build have been the Pyro Armor Procs heavily effect DPS output. IIRC, Pyro Armor has a 10% chance to proc. However, it seemed more like 3-5%. May have been a bad night. When I didn't get alot of Armor Procs, I ended up having 900ish dps.

As stated by me in above posting, this build does meet my SIMPLICITY rule, so I do like this build. It is still the lack of output I am still concerned about. Even with that 1200 parse I was still 10th behind alot of rogues and a few clerics/warriors.

I have no problems with this rotation or macros or whatever, just simply the output I have seen compared to all the other post 1.3 classes.

In general, I guess I am stating that I have not seen a mage build yet that can keep up with the other classes post 1.3 that are manageable/simple. I outgear the majority of my guildies vastly; However, I see Warriors and Clerics still in T1,2 blues pounding the 1300+ parses out. Rogues? Not even gonna mention them. It'll just be QQing. This is not my intention of this very long post. Thanks for reading, if you bothered.
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

Soulwalker

I pretty much feel the same way. Like you I'm more geared that majority of my guild and the complexity of SC/Ele for the minmal rewards is making me think of switching class (luckily I have leveled other 3 classes out of boredom but not geared).

I have used the Zoomancer and it is highly situational and unreliable due to pathing issues. I'll be testing it out more but ... pets.

Zoomancer is only a 3 button rotation. 2 buttons if you can get another Necro to keep Looming Demise up for you.

Why are you using lightning strike? Just curious. I use this, and I get well over 1300 parsed. I'm at work, so can't upload at the moment lol I'm curious to see what you get with your setup.

If you have 3 points in lightning conductor, why aren't you doing this instead:

(1)lightning storm or (2) Raging storm (alternate these two based on their cooldowns in a 1,2,1,1,2 pattern)
    Ice Shear
    *toggle on your damages*
    Intensify Elements
    440 Crit toggle
    Static Toggle
    Static Discharge
    Cloudburst w/static
    Cloudburst w/static
    Cloudburst w/static (the first time you do the macro you wont have enough charge to static all the way here, takes a couple of rounds to fill up)
    Cloudburst w/static + b.s.
    Cloudburst + b.s.
    Cloudburst + b.s.
    toggle off b.s. (I have about 30% base crit for PvE)
    Arctic Blast (huge crit. do this every second pass through, before you do raging storm)

I mean it seems complicated, but it's really not. I have two macros and alternate between the two in the pattern I stated. Lightning Storm starter ends in AB, so it can hypothermia the boss for the Raging Storm Starter. 15% on R.S. is big DPS if you get some crits in

Tell me what you get experiementing with B.S.
    Last edited by Menaace; 06-29-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Soulwalker

I just made rank 4. Been using 45 warlock and the rest dumped into the pvp Archmage soul for warfronts. Good to very good damage, good to very good surviveability agaisnt any class 1v1, great bag of tricks. aoe fear, single target fear, great snare, purge, silence, damage absorb, hit point increase with auto heal, channeled invunrability purge, stun. Big bolt, little bolts, DoT's.

You name it class has it all. Now you may not top the damage charts but you'll come close, and the utility if played well can really really help your team.

Soulwalker

How does that help in a raid exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaidar Haran View Post
    ...IIRC, Pyro Armor has a 10% chance to proc. However, it seemed more like 3-5%. May have been a bad night. When I didn't get alot of Armor Procs, I ended up having 900ish dps.
    According to Bluedot, this seems true; the chance to proc on it is a lot lower than the advertised 10%, something like 6% or 8%. In contrast, Opportunity was more in line with its 10% proc chance.
    http://bluedots.org/2011/05/01/pyro-armor-proc-rate/
    Last edited by Atavus; 06-29-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atavus View Post
    According to Bluedot, this seems true; the chance to proc on it is a lot lower than the advertised 10%, something like 6% or 8%. In contrast, Opportunity was more in line with its 10% proc chance.
    http://bluedots.org/2011/05/01/pyro-armor-proc-rate/
    Only because of the internal cooldown of Pyro Armor.

+ Reply to Thread